Page 31 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Froglube

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Because I already had it, and it's cheaper to run than my oven.
    Gotcha, I was referring to people who are actually buying crock-pots.

How much does it cost to run your oven at 175* for an hour? I never calculated that.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loganp0916 View Post
    What is the difference between the liquid and the paste? I mean, I know what a liquid is and what a paste is but what is better? And why do you guys heat it?
    Because it allows the product to seep into the pores of the metal. I know this may sound like a load of crap, but ask any chef and they will tell you that to truly clean a greased/seasoned pan, you need HOT water to head and open the pores so that the the "seasoning" can be washed out of the pores of the metal. Same for seasoning the pan in reverse. Or, in this case, a BCG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm also wondering which Froglube is better to run on a hard use carbine? The paste or the liquid?

I'm guessing the paste might be more optimal for lubrication, and the liquid better for cleaning?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Because it allows the product to seep into the pores of the metal. I know this may sound like a load of crap, but ask any chef and they will tell you that to truly clean a greased/seasoned pan, you need HOT water to head and open the pores so that the the "seasoning" can be washed out of the pores of the metal. Same for seasoning the pan in reverse. Or, in this case, a BCG.
    Thank you. Do you use the paste or liquid?
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loganp0916 View Post
    Thank you. Do you use the paste or liquid?
    I use the paste.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedHot View Post
    I'm also wondering which Froglube is better to run on a hard use carbine? The paste or the liquid?

I'm guessing the paste might be more optimal for lubrication, and the liquid better for cleaning?
    Well... Yes and no. Yes on the liquid being a better cleaner for the most part and no in that they both have the same consistency when hot. I suppose you could do away with the liquid but will have to heat your parts to get the all the gunk off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The point is not to wash the seasoning out, it's to open the pores to allow the seasoning to penetrate the pores. You never want to wash away the seasoning, in fact reapplications just further apply, or top off, the seasoning.

The idea is to treat the clean metal surfaces the first time, and then create a seasoning layer. When the gun gets fouled, get it warm, allow the FL to penetrate/lift/disolve, and then wipe off. When it's "clean enough" you are GTG, or if you are truly anal, re-heat and apply a 2nd application of FL to top off the seasoning.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    The point is not to wash the seasoning out, it's to open the pores to allow the seasoning to penetrate the pores. You never want to wash away the seasoning, in fact reapplications just further apply, or top off, the seasoning. I meant the example of hot water/a chef to back Froglube's claim that it "gets in the pores". Every chef you meet will tell you this, yet so many people cry foul.

The idea is to treat the clean metal surfaces the first time, and then create a seasoning layer. When the gun gets fouled, get it warm, allow the FL to penetrate/lift/disolve, and then wipe off. When it's "clean enough" you are GTG, or if you are truly anal, re-heat and apply a 2nd application of FL to top off the seasoning.
    I always re-heat the part to the 175 before the wipe-down.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    Well... Yes and no. Yes on the liquid being a better cleaner for the most part and no in that they both have the same consistency when hot. I suppose you could do away with the liquid but will have to heat your parts to get the all the gunk off.
    Chemically, or because it is liquid at room temp? I clean with the paste normally. Time for change?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I use the paste for the first treatment of parts because it's easy to brush onto the surface and spread around. That's *if* you're heating the parts up for this. Other than that, I prefer to use the liquid...for either cleaning or lubing.

Page 31 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast