Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Receiver life expectinecy?

Feedback Score

Question Lower Receiver life expectinecy?

I have finally completed my AR15.

One question looms on my mind.

How durable is a lower receiver. Since this is the part that is required by law to register in my state it is now the most important part to keep in good order, whats the average abuse it can take in terms of bullets being fired from it to the point it just warps

If it helps I have an MP15 lower 7075 T6 Aluminum hard coat black. I dont plan to be dropping this on the dirt, cement or being to *rough with it

Last edited by Greyman; 09-21-10 at 19:32.
    AR15 // Complete :-)
    Remington 870 Express Tactical
    Beretta 92FS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    its a non stress part, unlike the upper. It wont warp under normal use
    Last edited by ForTehNguyen; 09-21-10 at 19:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    its a non stress part, unlike the upper.
    Are you sure with this answer? If this is true this is GREAT news if not this is BAD news :-(

So would you say that it can last almost a lifetime with proper care??

I doubt this slightly? So after dumping 10,000 to 15,000 rounds of 5.56 I am to see no wear on the lower per say?
    Last edited by Greyman; 09-21-10 at 19:44.
    AR15 // Complete :-)
    Remington 870 Express Tactical
    Beretta 92FS

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Bushmaster had one in-house about ten years ago that they estimated had over 250,000 rounds on. It was used to test completed upper reciever assemblies.

They said they had replaced FCG parts but the reciever was still in-spec.

I am curious if they still have it.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyman View Post

I doubt this slightly? So after dumping 10,000 to 15,000 rounds of 5.56 I am to see no wear on the lower per say?
    You might see some enlarging of the FCG pin holes. You might see some slop develop between upper and lower from slight enlargement of the takedown and pivot pin holes. All easily remedied without throwing out the receiver. And even if you do, just get a new one. If you're worried about it, buy a replacement now and stick it in your safe. It would cost you about $60-120 for that piece of mind.

Feedback Score
    Are you sure with this answer? If this is true this is GREAT news if not this is BAD news :-(

It should last you a long time. Ive seen heavily dinged and worn down to bare aluminum M16A1 lowers from years of no-care-use that are still perfectly functional. No egging out of the hammer and trigger pin holes, whatsoever. Personally, I'd be more worried about an improperly installed RE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

the lower doesnt take the stress of firing, the upper and BCG do.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Wearing and warping are two completely different things. No, your lower won't warp. It will wear in certain areas, like the pivot and takedown pin holes, but not nearly enough to render the lower useless. The FCG and buffer parts will also wear, but are all easily replaceable.
    Last edited by Captains1911; 09-21-10 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It will last you a lifetime of shooting...
    You should even be able to hand it down to the next generation of shooters!

Feedback Score
    Think of all the pre 86 m16a1 lowers out there in private hands, a number get shot often. Almost 25 years worth of FA and most haven't fallen apart.
    Last edited by mr_smiles; 09-22-10 at 07:23.

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast