Thread: New To Me Colt 6450

Feedback Score

New To Me Colt 6450

I am a firearms instructor at our local police academy. When training the cadets on carbine we have been using Colt 6450 9mm Carbines which reduces the training cost over 5.56 ammo. The guns generally get maybe 100-200 tops through them with each academy. We jsut traded 10 of them to a local gun shop as trade fodder for new ones. The shop was offering t let the instructors buy them back at a discounted rate.

I was fortunate enough to be able to cherry pick the one I wanted prior to it being delivered to the gun shop. Very few cosmetic marks on both receiver groups. Bore is bright and clean, a few cosmetic marks in the mag well from use but the reality is that the rifle probably doesn't have even 3000 rounds through it. I got the carbine, two 32 round mags and original Colt box for $650 and tax.

Now the big question.....what to do with it? In reality its a 6 pound pistol, but I bought it mainly to use at local indoor range where I do some other instruction. The range restricts carbines to pistol caliber so I have a legit need. Now the want......do I trick it out a little? Was thinking of a Daniel Defense rail to replace the handguard? Maybe mount an Aimpoint Micro H1 on that rail with a LaRue mount of proper height to co-witness with factory carry handle sight? MagPul stock?
    "You Can't Miss Fast Enough, To Win The Gunfight" - Andy Seminick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pistol caliber carbines have utility, esp in the context you describe. If you're using it for alternative caliber practice, set it up identically to whatever you're using for duty/serious purposes.

Curious... With the development of better sub-caliber training ARs (22LR), why did you elect to stick with a 9mm platform?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Pistol caliber carbines have utility, esp in the context you describe. If you're using it for alternative caliber practice, set it up identically to whatever you're using for duty/serious purposes.

Curious... With the development of better sub-caliber training ARs (22LR), why did you elect to stick with a 9mm platform?
    Not my call, I am an adjunct instructor, the college has a full time firearms training coordinator who calls the shots. I think though, it was largely done for ammo consistency. It is a regional academy where departments either send their recruits or recruits attend on their own then seek employment. Recruits are issued an academy owned Glcok 17 to use during training and while shooting the 22lr would save some dollars it keeps from storing two different calibers on hand.

I can't set this one up quite identifcal to my person 5.56 AR15 as the 9mm has a fixed handguard and my 5.56 is a flat top gun with Aimpoint T1 mounted, but I should be able to get close.
    Last edited by bodyarmorguy; 08-01-11 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    I figured I would throw in a pic for good measure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyarmorguy View Post
    I figured I would throw in a pic for good measure.
    Nice carbine that is capable of good work.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice price even if you don't do anything with it.

Since you saved so much and live in Florida - flat-top it, SBR it, and put a can on it. I had a 9mm carbine once and could just never take it seriously but it was FUN to shoot.

Or leave it, it's good like it is plus you have a got-a-great-deal story to tell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotter260 View Post

Since you saved so much and live in Florida - flat-top it, SBR it, and put a can on it.
    I was thinking of doing exactly that, go to a 9 or 10 inch barrel, with a can it will still swing like a 16 inch gun.

In the meantime, I added some MagPul MOE goodness

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by charmcitycop; 09-21-13 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    My 6450 has just about become my favorite range gun and I'll buy one of the flattop models when they become available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotter260 View Post

Since you saved so much and live in Florida - flat-top it, SBR it, and put a can on it. I had a 9mm carbine once and could just never take it seriously but it was FUN to shoot.

Or leave it, it's good like it is plus you have a got-a-great-deal story to tell.
    I also just got 6450 mainly for range use. Flat-topping it sounds attractive but execution isn't intuitive because of the absence of readily-removable fasteners. Am I missing something?