Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Back on the fitness wagon

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I watched a really interesting documentary the other day on Netflix streaming. The title is Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and I highly suggest you or anyone you know who needs to lose a large amount of weight and increase their health watch it.

The results that were obtained by multiple people in the documentary, and testimonials online, are nothing short of amazing. From losing a large amount of weight to helping stop using prescription medicines for 2 different people's autoimmune diseases.

If you don't have Netflix and don't want to purchase the DVD Amazon instant video has it here for $2.99 for 48 hours. http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Sick-Nearl.../dp/B004V4ASGC

To be fair I'm 6'3" 225lbs and am looking to drop about 10 pounds of beer and steak I've recently started working out again doing pushups, lifting weights and eating healthier and feel better than I have in a long time. If you don't find the film inspiring and you don't think it was a good purchase I will gladly drop you an American $3 bill in the mail to cover the cost. Best wishes in your endeavor.

Feedback Score
    Good job on the progress so far! I started the whole fitness journey in February and it has been slow going as my diet is the worst aspect of my food issues, of course. I like going to the gym and working out, but I could never seem to stick to a diet for more than a week or so before I broke down and ate something I wasn't supposed to (bag of chips, soda, etc).

I start the police academy again in two weeks, so I want to lose the rest of the unnecessary weight I'm carrying around. I've got about 80 pounds more to go to get to 195, which is my goal as well. PT was manageable but a complete bitch and I dreaded it all the time when I was in there before, but I think having to contend with school, work, and finding time to get my workouts in on days we don't have PT it will be harder for me to slack off on the eating portion because I'm not sitting around all day or all afternoon bored to death. My grandmother introduced bad food habits to me when I was a few years old and I've been trying to realize what they are and overcome them for the last year now. She would use food as a reward, let me get fast food and donuts and shitty stuff like that in secret from my parents, etc. I think that learned behavior is why I've been overweight since I was eight or nine years old.

The gym portion of the equation has been going well; my surgeon that did the 5 1/2 hour operation to fix my elbow after my GSW said I would never lift weights again (or be able to return to the academy). This morning I did 70 pounds with my bad arm only on the triceps press (cable machine).

Where there is a will, there's a way.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am not on a diet per say. When I started this I wanted to do something I could maintain. For starters I just limited my portion size. No seconds. Before I would make 2 sanwiches for lunch, two bowls of cerial, eat out for diner etc. Very un healthy.

Now I have 1 standard bowl of cerial in the morning. I go on a run around noon and then when I come back I make a wrap with wheat tortias that have a lot of fiber. I use mustard instead of mayo. I use different meats. But I only have one wrap and it fills me. Before I would eat even when I was not hungry I don't do that now.

For dinner I eat a pre made salad and I actually like them. They are not great and have 550 calories but they fill me. For snakes I eat cheese sticks, artichoke hearts, etc. But I don't snack much. Only if I get hungry and never after 10pm now. I go to bed at 0300.

The reason I did this was my Lt. a good friend of mine did it and I knew it was possible and frankly I am tired of being fat. Even though I have a lot to lose still I can already feel the benefits. I have a ton more energy, I sleep better at night, and I feel better about myself. I have lost weight in the past only to but it back on. My problem then was I had an end short term goal. Such as getting hired at the PD, Then I would fall off the wagon. This time I don't want to do that. Plus I seen too many people die from heart attacks on duty. Often the cops beat the medics to the call here because we are a small town with a volunteer medical service. Anyway I want to live as long as possible.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I was doing good not following any specific diet until I started working again this summer; I work in a citrus grove and being out there all day (sometimes 10-11 hours) in 110+ heat index and direct sunlight means I had no energy to cook in the morning or at night so I ate out a lot. It showed.

Either way, you can find a way to do something if you want to, and I just didn't have it in me then.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Added weights into my work out today after my run and boy am I sore.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
    I work in a citrus grove and being out there all day (sometimes 10-11 hours) in 110+ heat index and direct sunlight means I had no energy to cook in the morning or at night so I ate out a lot. It showed.

Either way, you can find a way to do something if you want to, and I just didn't have it in me then.
    I am in a similar situation with time on the job. I'm tied to a BlackBerry 24x7 and get conference calls at some really odd hours - like 10:00 pm last night with China.

I get up at 4:00 am daily, take care of the dogs, jump in the truck and hit the gym by work at 5:30. The usual workout is a half mile run on the treadmill followed by weights (chest, shoulders, tris / legs/ back and biceps) and then hit a 2 mile run around our complex. This is my Monday - Friday schedule. Saturday is normally a 5 miler on the hilly dirt roads by my house.

If I try to do this after work, it just doesn't get done because I usually hit the house by 6:30 and fire up the computer.

Keep it up alaskapopo. Set smaller goals with the weight, and remember to stretch, stretch, stretch to help with the soreness. You'll get there.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I think you need to slow down a bit, Pat. Remember, it's a total package. Watch your portions and what you're eating.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I think you need to slow down a bit, Pat. Remember, it's a total package. Watch your portions and what you're eating.
    Thanks. I am watching my portions. That is what helped alot and I am eating better stuff too. I am actually looking forward to my run each day now. Still slow but I run along the beach and its pretty scenic.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Drive on Brother
    I started back in feb runnin every other day, now Im liftin with a cardio warmup..
    eat right, exercise and get plenty of rest... mix it up a bit and keep it fun... Ive been runnin stadium steps occasionally.. kicks ass...
    I was 226lbs, now down to 195..... lookin to get to my lean mean fightin weight at around 180....
    Soon after you get the groove with the wts you'll see the fat melt..
    its like adding a cylinder to your car every week and increase the fuel you need to run it accordingly.
    You will feel soooo much better

Again Great job

Feedback Score
    Remember rest is your friend.

Weights and Cardio will get you where you want to be and constantly spice things up to keep your body guessing and leaning out and building muscle.

Good Luck brother on your journey.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast