Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Lower Receiver Flaw

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Colt Lower Receiver Flaw

I picked this LE6920 up today. There was a small piece of aluminum that appeared to be a forging flaw that I found after taking it home. I picked at it a little and it came off. It appears that a flake of aluminum got into the forging process and stuck to the receiver through the anodizing. Now that I have it off, the bare, unanodized aluminum is exposed. Does that seem correct for what is pictured?

Will it affect the durability of the receiver? Is it worth my time to send it back to Colt if it is purely cosmetic (I will most likely paint the rifle in the near future).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Degrease that spot and hit it with some Alumablack.....problem solved.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Degrease that spot and hit it with some Alumablack.....problem solved.
    This was going to be my temporary fix if some of the more knowledgeable people can reassure me that it is only cosmetic. Long term, the entire rifle will be camo painted anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Before anyone jumps on and says you are stupid, or to get over it, there is no question the receiver you have has a bad anodizing job. Looks like the receiver wasn't cleaned all the way, or was contaminated some how before it went in.

You can contact Colt, you will be without it for awhile if and when they decide to "fix" it. At a minimum, I would email them the pictures and let them know about it.
    Last edited by Stickman; 09-09-12 at 15:56.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    My guess, it's simply a cosmetic issue based on the pic.
    Function should be solid with the unit.

Touch up and run.
    Daniel Defense V4
    Benelli Super Vinci
    Tikka T3 SS Lam .270wsm
    Vortex Dealer

Feedback Score
    I would probably just touch it up with some alumablack on run with it, especially if I was planning on painting it, but I would have seen what Colt thought about it before posting the problem hear. I believe there is some rule about it here, not for sure though. It's up to you, I'm sure Colt will make it right if you don't mind the wait!
    Frog Lube Fanboy BCM Koolaid Drinker
    olds442tyguy: I prefer buying American not because of the cost, but because of the integrity. I'd rather send some greedy American guy a couple extra bucks than pay a couple bucks for an inferior product that's likely made from recycled condoms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is yet another example of 'check out the rifle with a fine tooth comb' before you make the purchase final to avoid small and large problems that can be seen with an inspection. OP, your bare spot looks superficial from the pic but it's nice to see these spots before your sig. on the dotted line.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    What is the thickness of the chip? Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Instead of contacting Colt, go back to where you bought the weapon and have them address the issue. Tell them you want another carbine.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Instead of contacting Colt, go back to where you bought the weapon and have them address the issue. Tell them you want another carbine.
    They said they would send it to Colt. And just to re-iterate, this isn't a slight against Colt in any way, shape, or form. This seems like a one in a million occurance.
    Last edited by Kyohte; 09-09-12 at 17:47.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast