• Tango Down VG

96 43.44%
  • Magpul AFG

59 26.70%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a Vertical Grip

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I voted, but really you are asking for too much information with insufficient constraints.

How do you shoot with your support arm and existing VFG?
    How do you use the grip with your support hand?
    Do you use your VFG for shooting from support?
    What kind of shooting or use is the VFG intended to improve?
    Do you shoot with gloves?
    What kind of lights/lasers/sights/slings (if applicable) do you use, and how do you interface with them while shooting in regard to the VFG?
    Do you have a bipod or intend to add one?
    What is the role of the weapon?

You don't have to give a life history, but some detail to work with ensures the highest quality of advice.

What works perfectly for me might be terrible for you. This is not a measure of preference, but rather of priority.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    You may see a lot of KAC grips because they are a military issue item and have been around for a long time, but I don't know anyone who uses one by choice. The locking mechanism is weak and the design has been surpassed.

I'll also recommend the Magpul MOE grip - cheap, lightweight and locks up tight.
    I actually like the KAC grip. Its lightweight and the slim profile is comfortable. I used mine a a handstop & the length was my only complaint. Currently test driving a MOE vfg.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JR TACTICAL View Post
    I have not heard anything on the KAC grip, my search yielded nothing but pics of them and I can see that alot of people use them so that has to be a good thing but I want to hear what you think of it.
    I've been using them for years, and see no reason to change.

When I PM my gun - clean, lube, and make sure everything is tight, I also check it.

I'm not too technical about it.

If it doesn't fall off or break, and I can hang on to it (works as designed), it's good.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I use Tango Downs and a KAC because that is what I have used overseas.

Really depends on what you are doing. I have used my TD standards for years and also have two TD QD. Only reason for the QD is for my get that I use on deployment. Hard to put the rifle in the rack when it is on.

Bobro is a good slim one too.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Chop a KAC. Here's mine.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Gen William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I prefer the Tango Down QD stubby.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Not a lot of love for the Larue FUG it seems. Anything wrong with it ? It had rave reviews on TOS fwiw ...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like the LaRue for the very limited experience I have with it. I have the Tango Down stubby which is a good one as well. I have the standard mount instead of the QD now and have had the QD before. I traded the KAC for this one so it wasn't a choice.

I've found what's most comfortable when shooting isn't always the most comfortable when walking for a while. The Tango Down does a decent job there where the AFG doesn't not, at least for me. I run my vert grip about five spaces back from the front of my URX II's and my Daniel Defense mk-18 RIS II. I used to use them primarily as a hand stop but now I wrap my fingers around it lower and my thumb along the side rail or slightly over the top.

I've also found the TD to be good for different grips, like if I use it as more of a hand stop for faster close range action or I can back it off a bit and stabilize it more for longer shots, etc (well, my ability of shooting longer range is debatable after the other weekend!).
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 08-03-11 at 14:41.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    I have had these VFGs: Tango Down (both lengths), KAC, Magpul, and Troy. The Troy works the best for me. I use them without the length insert as a large hand stop. I no longer have a Tango Down stubby to compare to my Troys but I think that without the insert the Troy is shorter. The battery storage is a nice feature and they are rock solid. Also the Troy is a fair amount cheaper than the Tango Down ones and a bit slimmer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Failure2Stop is on the money. A "vertical grip" is different for different applications. My favorite for my "longer range" AR is a Grip Pod (often maligned but works well for me).

Dropping prone with it at 100-200 yards and getting quick hits is easy. At CQB distances, I use it as a reference with the support hand in front of the grip and under the rail, thumb up.

My SBR sports a Larue FUG, used the same way. It is heavy with the QD and will probably be replaced with a non-QD stubby.

What is your mission?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast