Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing rust

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Preventing rust

Just looking to prevent rust as the area I store my gear tends to have a window open so the humidity/rain could easily bring up the moisture level in the room.

Would a quick rub down on the external areas with CLP on a rag to give a little shine be beneficial during storage? When going to the range, it's easy to wipe it down before using so debris won't be so quickly to attract.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Eezox

I'd hit it with Eezox. It's really humid here.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Frog Lube CLP is also a good rust inhibitor.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    Wiping your firearms and knives down with a TUF-CLOTH will do the trick as well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I did an elementary test a few months back. I took just regular steel tie-wire, (that on a quiet night you can hear rusting,) polished it up with ScotchBrite, and cut into seven 4" pieces. I had them very shiny and clean, then I degreased the pieces to insure they didn’t have any oils or such on them.

I thoroughly and generously applied each of the following lubes to a different piece of “sterile” tie-wire with a Q-Tip.
    BreakFree (CLP)-Collector
    Rem-Oil
    EeZox
    BreakFree CLP
    Military Surplus grease
    TW-25B Grease

I didn’t use any sprays, just the bottled stuff. I kept one piece of wire “sterile” without any lube for my “control”.

I then, put them outside, dipped them in a saltwater mixture I made up, hung them up, and left them alone for 4-days. In that 4-days, it was heavy dew every morning and rained two days.

At the end of 4-days, the best-looking wire with minor specks of rust was the EeZox, with the BreakFree Collector almost as good. I think the EeZox was a tad better but I wouldn’t be afraid to use the BreakFree Collector.

Next was the regular BF CLP with a little bit more rust but still very good.

The TW-25B Grease and the Military Surplus Grease surprised me because they had a lot of rust (60-70%) coverage.

The Rem-Oil looked about like the piece of "sterile" wire that had no oil/grease on it. To me, Rem-Oil was about like putting nothing on the wire.

YMMV

But maybe it’s just me…

Last edited by ucrt; 08-25-11 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    Dehumidifier in the room???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    I'd hit it with Eezox. It's really humid here.
    Eric
    I second the Eezox recomendation. I've got a Carbon/nickel steel damascus knife that I treat with the stuff once a year, and it hasn't rusted since using the stuff.

I also treat my rimfires, and parked controls on my CC pistol with it, and has prevented rust on that aswell.

The stuff flat out works, smells pretty funky when you first apply it though.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just read a few things about Eezox and it seems like a great product.

Not only does it lube and protect from rust, it's a dry lubricant which is a huge plus in my book. No more messy BreakFree CLP dripping everywhere and attract shit everywhere it goes.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    Just read a few things about Eezox and it seems like a great product.

Not only does it lube and protect from rust, it's a dry lubricant which is a huge plus in my book. No more messy BreakFree CLP dripping everywhere and attract shit everywhere it goes.
    ===================================

The EeZox does dry up after a while. They recommend applying it and letting it sit, then then wiping the excess off.

But I find CLP dries up, too. Come back in a week and it will be dry.

FWIW, I use EeZox as a rust preventative and CLP sometimes for the same but I don't use either as a lubricant. I use oils that stay "oily" for lubes, never liked "oils" that dry out.

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    On my firearms I use rarely or not at all, I take disposable brushes and cover the firearm heavily with break free collector. It needs to be oozing this stuff inside and out.

On my firearms that I use more often. I coat the thing in CLP.

I never wipe anything off with a rag.

I have a dehumidifier that constantly runs into a floor drain in my gun room and golden rods in my safes. All in air conditioning.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast