Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What keeps you from seeking out, or attending more, training?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

What keeps you from seeking out, or attending more, training?

Vote in the Poll Here

Operate under the assumption here that you're of the opinion that you want/need some/more training.

There is a tradition here on M4C of admonishing people to skip the new gun/optic/gear/shoes/meal and instead seek out training with the firearm. This vein of advice hinges on the idea that cost/finances/budget are the only reasons one does not get training. I'm curious to know if this is the case with our membership, especially our newer membership, or if there are other limiting factors on why you might not seek out training. I'm interested in formulating a list of the more common reasons and perhaps adding/creating a poll of the most common to see where the trends lie. Off the cuff, I'm thinking the list starts with...

The primary reason I don't seek out my first/next training class is:
    • Cost of tuition
    • Cost of travel
    • Cost of ammo
    • Lack what I believe is the "right" or "necessary" hardware (guns, load carriage, whatever)
    • Time away from work
    • Time away from family
    • Physical limitations (disability, injury, etc.)
    • Fear of the unknown

Do any of these apply to you? Are there others? I know that a common reason I hear is "there is no training nearby to me" but that is really either a time or a cost issue as anyone can travel to train but either the cost of the traveling or the time necessary may be impediments.
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-09-11 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 08-07-11 at 06:45.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    A location that is local that can host instruction classes,one that is not infected with fudds!
    Location is the symptom, not the disease. You could travel to a class outside your personal A/O. What is the primary reason you don't do this: cost or time?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cost of ammo is my killer. As a matter of fact late last week I was considering beginning to downgrade the quality of ammo I shoot for training to try and get more.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Money is the bottom line for me the class cost more than my budget allows for and there are none offered in the north east at all.
    Cost of ammo, cost of tuition, or cost of travel to a suitable location?

For example, if there was a hypothetical class that was run with a rimfire facsimile of the primary firearm (let's say a .22 conversion of a primary handgun, or a S&W M&P15-22) with the firearm provided and ammunition included in the tuition would that free up funds to travel or to pay said tuition?

(ignore, for the moment, the potential reliability and other issues with a theoretical rimfire class)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Time away from family is the biggest for me. The only worthwhile training facilities near me are far enough to require at least an overnight stay. This makes even a short 2 day training course a minimum of a 3 day trip.

Aggregated cost is another limiting factor. Considering lodging, ammo costs and tuition the total cost is basically going to be a minimum of $1,000 for anything.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Money is the bottom line for me the class cost more than my budget allows for and there are none offered in the north east at all.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A location that is local that can host instruction classes,one that is not infected with fudds!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I am in a great location for training: central NC. Two hours of driving gets me as much training as I can possibly handle. For me it is cost. While my wife is very supportive of my shooting, the fact that we are single-income with 6 kids and trying to get rid of our mortgage by paying double monthly, I have to be judicious with my $$. That's why I do one-day classess in the Fayetteville area once a year or so.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    there are none offered in the north east at all.
    This is simply not true! You will also see even more in 2012 in the Phila area. Look for some of the following instructors: Vickers, Falla, Hackathorn, Defoor, McNamara, Tigerswan, Tom Kier, Paragon 6 and possibly Rogers.

I will remember to keep you posted as I start hammering away dates and instructors.

That said I have never taken a class that didn't require a 6-8 hour travel commitment. In my opinion for those who are serious about improving there skill set with firearms it is a very small price to pay. Its also really nice to get away for 2 or 3 days to focus on training, get together with like minded dudes and tune the rest of the world out.

For me time is my biggest interference to being able to take the amount of classes that I would like (if not I would be shooting 1911's right now in Ohio). Ideally I would like to be able to fit 5-6 in a year. Right now with running a business and raising my daughters 2-3 is all that I can swing.

So much to learn, so little time...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast