Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: educate me on compact or subcompact DA/SA guns

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    +1 HK/Sig

I think slide safeties are a complete PITA.

Feedback Score
    The "best" current DA/SA are HK's, as noted.

When I graduated from the Police Academy, I used a 92F on duty and a 3913 off-duty; likewise when we transitioned to the 4566, I continued to use the 3913--it is a great little pistol for CCW.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The 3913 is a great little gun. I still have mine, it lives in the utility drawer in my kitchen (next to the cork screw).

If starting anew, I'd want to go with a gun that is still in production. Otherwise parts and magazines could be an issue.

Currently, I'd look hard at the HK P2000K if I wanted to stay with DA/SA. They're a little more expensive but the quality is worth it in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The P30 is about the size of a Glock 19..... Its the "fullsize" but its built compact.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    While I own and carry a 3913, and it is an excellent carry choice, my experience with DA/SA is you will not be as accurate as you like with that first shot compared to an action like a Glock unless you are very close. Empirical data observed in a pistol class tells me the same thing. Lot's of first shot misses from the DA/SA shooters. Training will definitely help.

The 3913 is a very good choice and I would not hesitate to buy one for carry if you are a DA/SA guy. The mags are limited to 7 rounds, but that is why I like it. The single stack allows for a very slim grip.
    I agree to a point, however someone who trains exclusively with a DA loses no accuracy when using the DA function. I know I used to be just as accurate and usually more accurate in DA than SA. The way the OP is describing himself I would guess he knows this as well. But again you are right, for the masses a Glock or M&P type trigger is easier to acheive accuracy with. The last few years I've not had the finances to maintain my DA/SA accuracy and have gone to Glocks and M&P's and have found it easier to maintain an accecptable level of accuracy with a much reduced training schedule.

You are also on the money with the 3913, I've had a couple of them and they were very good CCW pistols.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I always liked the 3913LS and 3913NL, great ccw pistols.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 08-15-11 at 14:18.

Feedback Score
    There's also the CZ PCR, P06, and the Rami

I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 trouble free rounds through my PCR, and it conceals well.

The PCR is also known as the 75D compact, it's alloy framed with a decocker, snag free sights, and a loaded chamber indicator.

the P06 is essentially a PCR missing the loaded chamber indicator but with a railed dust cover.

the Rami is their subcompact line.
    Last edited by An Undocumented Worker; 08-15-11 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by An Undocumented Worker View Post
    There's also the CZ PCR, P06, and the Rami

I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 trouble free rounds through my PCR, and it conceals well.

The PCR is also known as the 75D compact, it's alloy framed with a decocker, snag free sights, and a loaded chamber indicator.

the P06 is essentially a PCR missing the loaded chamber indicator but with a railed dust cover.

the Rami is their subcompact line.
    I went through a CZ phase in the early 2000s. The good is that they have very good ergonomics and are accurate. The bad is that they tend to break parts on a regular basis, and require servicing often to retain their reliability outside of a static range. When their high end competition pistol models come from the factory with six(yes 6), extra slide stop levers and 3 extra trigger bar springs you know there is at least a couple of major problems with the design.

For most shooters that will likely never go beyond 5000rds on a pistol, the CZ will likely do just fine. For those shooters who expect more......well it's a risk. Having a slide stop, trigger spring, or extractor spring crap out on you in a fire fight can get you killed. A 3rd generation Glock, M&P, or HK P30 will exceed 50,000 rounds on average before things run the risk of breaking.
    Last edited by KhanRad; 08-15-11 at 21:47.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The 3913 is a good gun, but I have never liked slide mounted controls. The price on it may make you overlook imperfections like that.

Aside from that, I'm very fond of my P2000SK in .40S&W. The recoil on it is very mild for a .40, so the 9mm should be very nice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    The 3913 is a good gun, but I have never liked slide mounted controls. The price on it may make you overlook imperfections like that.

Aside from that, I'm very fond of my P2000SK in .40S&W. The recoil on it is very mild for a .40, so the 9mm should be very nice.
    I too think the slide-mounted safety/decocker is a weak point in the Beretta/S&W 3rd-gen designs, which is why my carry Beretta is a 92G. The decocker's spring-loaded and thus it's always set to 'fire'. On the rare occasions I carry my 92F, I carry it uncocked and unlocked just like the 92G.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast