Thread: SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Little man syndrome
    Yes, that must be it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Ya know, Russophiles were going on and on about the Black Russian Terrier and how great it was. Turned out to be a lot of hype and during the bombing in Moscow, the police were seen using German Shepherds. I talked to one handler that tried the BRT and he said it was not anywhere close to a Malinois or GSD
    You dont have to be a Russophile to favor the Black Russian Terrier( BRT) over the GSD or Malino because they are breed to do different things .
    Yes the Red Army made the BRT as their all in one working dog , but they faild.
    After that the Army went back to GSD and more traditional breeds and the BRT became Civilian Guard and copmpanian Dogs and thats were they are good at.
    If you have Time to train them , they are wonderfull Dogs and i love mine. They need gromming weekly , they are 100 to 160 lbs, they are very powerfull and not akzept diferent Handlers but will defend their pack and Territory brutaly effektiv.
    They are in use in russian prisons because they plant fear in the hearts of inmats , by biting necks and Faces first .
    Something that will not fit into civilrights concernd Western prison Systems , and I do tend to respekt this.
    Living in Germany and working with proffesional Doghandlers regulary I will put it this way: there is no perfekt Breed for all tasks , Size will help but finding a good Dog is more then finding a Breed . If you want to share your Life and home with a Dog , go for it, if Shtf and Crime is your main Concern, think about an alarm System with Solar Panels .

Sorry for my poor use of the english Language , it is the Reason i am an only Reader at this fine Forum

Offenbacher

Last edited by offenbacher; 01-02-13 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by offenbacher View Post
    You dont have to be a Russophile to favor the Black Russian Terrier( BRT) over the GSD or Malino because they are breed to do different things .
    Yes the Red Army made the BRT as their all in one working dog , but they faild.
    After that the Army went back to GSD and more traditional breeds and the BRT became Civilian Guard and copmpanian Dogs and thats were they are good at.
    If you have Time to train them , they are wonderfull Dogs and i love mine. They need gromming weekly , they are 100 to 160 lbs, they are very powerfull and not akzept diferent Handlers but will defend their pack and Territory brutaly effektiv.
    They are in use in russian prisons because they plant fear in the hearts of inmats , by biting necks and Faces first .
    Something that will not fit into civilrights concernd Western prison Systems , and I do tend to respekt this.
    Living in Germany and working with proffesional Doghandlers regulary I will put it this way: there is no perfekt Breed for all tasks , Size will help but finding a good Dog is more then finding a Breed . If you want to share your Life and home with a Dog , go for it, if Shtf and Crime is your main Concern, think about an alarm System with Solar Panels .

Sorry for my poor use of the english Language , it is the Reason i am an only Reader at this fine Forum

Offenbacher
    Excellent and informative post, thank you.

Feedback Score

GSD makes a great purpose animal. This is Zane, he's only 10 months. But his drive is solid,not over the top. Good with our kids,hasn't eaten the cat. He has his CGC, started bit work at 6-7 months. He's still on the tug and puppy sleeve. He dictated his level of progression. No pressure. I feel it develops a mentally together dog. I don't need or want a H3 animal

This is Willis, Mali/mix. This is his off switch, he will cuddle with the kids for hours. He rarely barks. However he will chase and kill anything that runs. Up to deer, he's chased but not caught one.

We also have a female gsd/pit mix. She has a over the top ball drive, and a great alert. But she would cower if threatened. But her alert is fierce.

This thread is dog show and tell thread...sorta

Any working breed can protect or at least alert. You cannot think that your dog that barks at the door or strangers would attack or attack on command. That, in most dogs involves serious training. Most dogs would cower, or back away and bark. It takes training and a dog wired to handle it. If you force your dog into protection work when he's not ready you will fry your dog.

Feedback Score
    Great post Rob. The average person in any type of survival situation(shtf, home invasion, etc) can only count on a good dog to alert with enough time and ferocity to allow you to arm and defend. Very few dogs will be sufficient defenders without significant training that most people don't begin to consider.

I will take my GSD anytime in the above situations. She sounds mean as hell on alert, but it's my job to attack/disable an intruder not hers.

Feedback Score
    I have 6 dogs and 2 are pitbulls and they love peolple and suck to guard anything and my Female american bulldog is 130lbs and she is the meanest dog she loves my kids but bring a stranger over she's not to happy , she has problems...
    Last edited by John Woods; 01-23-13 at 11:40.

Feedback Score

I miss the big guy.

My family had the most amazing junkyard Bull Mastiff. If you've ever seen the movie Turner in Hooch, you have an idea of what I'm talking about. 185lbs with an overbite that gave him a snaggle tooth. While he was the sweetest dog, he was protective enough of the family that I would have felt safe letting my 8 year old walk through a prison yard with the dog beside him. Unfortunately, we discovered the hard way that 50% of Mastiffs contract cancer before they reach maturity. I would own another Mastiff in a heartbeat, but it is something to consider.

Feedback Score
    I love German shepherds and think they make awesome guard dogs. I don't know if anyone has proposed this but pit bulls make awesome bodyguards and decent guard dogs. They are extremely loyal, love being in the company of people, and are great with children if you start them early. The other good thing about them is that if SHTF, everyone will still see them as vicious beasts and give them wide berth. Plus, they would be cheaper and easier to source than any of the other exotic breeds proposed and not plagued with too many genetic anomalies.
    Last edited by Gmoner; 02-03-13 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmoner View Post
    I love German shepherds and think they make awesome guard dogs. I don't know if anyone has proposed this but pit bulls make awesome bodyguards and decent guard dogs. They are extremely loyal, love being in the company of people, and are great with children if you start them early. The other good thing about them is that if SHTF, everyone will still see them as vicious beasts and give them wide berth. Plus, they would be cheaper and easier to source than any of the other exotic breeds proposed and not plagued with too many genetic anomalies.
    Not to mention your homeowner's insurance may not cover your liability with them.

Feedback Score
    Well it's not a problem with mine. Guess it depends on who you have. I have a female pit bull, a Bassett hound and a golden retriever puppy. We used to have an older golden but he died of lupus complications now he was a really good guard dog. Big, too
    Last edited by Gmoner; 02-03-13 at 18:07.

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast