Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Unless the dog can be muted and will stay put on command after it alerts you to possible intruders it will also alert the bad guys that someone maybe inside if barking can't be controlled. Now I'M talking SHTF so the dog most likely will be shot by intruders if they breach the perimeter but it may allow you the engage the threat while they deal with the dog.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kind of depends on what you want the dog to do: alert you or alert and defend.

While I like the bigger dogs for working or playing in general, I think a smaller dog like that Jack Russel mentioned might be better for SHTF. Small enough to be low maintenance but fiesty enough to not go whimpering under the bed. If you have to bug out a smaller dog and their food and water takes a lot less space. For a longer term economic collapse or something, a big dog eats a lot and could get expensive or hard to get food unless the dog is used to fending for himself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Unless the dog can be muted and will stay put on command after it alerts you to possible intruders it will also alert the bad guys that someone maybe inside if barking can't be controlled. Now I'M talking SHTF so the dog most likely will be shot by intruders if they breach the perimeter but it may allow you the engage the threat while they deal with the dog.
    Agree that any dog you intend to be a help during a SHTF scenario should be well trained. The last thing you want is a dog that makes noise when you want to be low profile, or runs off or causes trouble. During a SHTF time there can be a lot of stress and confusion and a untrained dog could act up unpredictably.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Of all the breeds I've had, two breeds stand out in my mind as being great resources. The English yellow lab is a great hunter, tracker, and watch dog. As far as trusting my life to a dog, my mongolian black chow chow would FEROCIOUSLY defend my life at all cost... quick as a mongoose, too.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll take my Belgian Malinois any day. He is a great family dog but very protective. He listens great and absolutly scares the hell out of everyone until he gets to know them. Had a solicitor come to the door the other day and one look at my belgian (Havoc) and away he went. Looking at getting a GSD in the near future.
    Law Enforcement Memorial
    In Valor There Is Hope - Tacitus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPD03 View Post
    I'll take my Belgian Malinois any day. He is a great family dog but very protective. He listens great and absolutly scares the hell out of everyone until he gets to know them. Had a solicitor come to the door the other day and one look at my belgian (Havoc) and away he went. Looking at getting a GSD in the near future.
    My mastiff is the same way. Scares the hell out of everyone! No one will let us open the door all the way just from hearing her bark.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If size isn't a concern, I'd say put some thought into miniature or standard schnauzers. Great family dogs and fiercely protective when they feel a threat to the family. We grew up with one that my dad described as always keeping my brother and me in the yard and keeping anybody else the hell out. Our first schnauzer left us many a year ago, but Mom and Dad haven't lived without one since.

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    When I saw this thread the first breed that came to mind was a Fila. Great dogs with the physical size to handle the job. Since you have a friend who owns one you already know how loyal they are. One goofy thing that I have noticed with them is that it is very easy for them to turn into a “one person” or “one family” dog.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Cane Corso(Italian Mastiff)
    Got any data for this thread? Data from personal experience?

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure I would get a dog based primarily on OHTF (Obama hitting the fan). Our dog is a Newfoudland weighing in at 110lbs. She looks like shes 170 with all the fur though. She's black & at night you can't even see her. She's very gentle with the fam but comes to attention quickly if a new face comes around. Her bark alone intimidates most people.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast