Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    "You could also consider adopting a military working dog washout from Lackland Air Force Base. Many fail due to lack of aggression and are fine dogs.".

Excellent suggestion. They do wash out some fine dogs who just don't have what they are looking for. However, they may just have what you are looking for.

I have a Boxer as a pet. He is very defensive around strangers and very imposing. He is very protective of my wife. He is also a total couch potato. My Basset Hound has no protective drive, but she is the first to sound the alarm. She is also the loudest and most persistent. We have a family member living with us and her Staffordshire/American Bull mix is a handful. SHe is very protective. I can't even raise my voice to the kids without hearing from her. As a bonus, she dimes the kids out when they are fighting. She does not like strangers.

My working dog is a Groenendael. He is basically a long haired Belgian Malinois with a black paint job. He does not trust strangers until he hears from me. He is not bite/aggression trained, but knows when to turn it on. His ability to read the context of an encounter never fails to amaze me.

For a pet, I can not recommend Boxer dogs highly enough. As a bonus, they love kids. They also have goofy personalities that make them a real joy.
    Last edited by sgtjosh; 08-20-11 at 13:30. Reason: added additional info
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, in addition to canines, how about a Llama?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Got any data for this thread? Data from personal experience?

You may have already read up on them, but here's a little info on them....

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canecorsoitaliano.htm

Feedback Score
    I had a gsd and a malinois growing up, both excellant loving, playful and protective, well, they were both professionally trained guard dogs and fantastic animals! Presently have a giant schnauzer, jet black, basic obediance trained some protection training, but a naturally ferocious guardian of my kids,wife, and home. When she is loose outside she 'herds' my son and physically prevents him ffom skate boarding away unless I hold her..she also never leaves the house/yard perimeter. Once we left to go to dinner and a movie, left the front door unlocked ( i know), upon our return(4 hrs later) she was sitting outside the front preventing my other two little dogs from leaving and anyone else from entering !
    Research a giant schnauzer, smart,protective, easy to train, 'all weather' rough coat, a 'natural' guardian ,and a good weight my female is only around 72 -75 lbs. My other dog is a rhodesian ridgeback also, basic obediance trained , FAST, protective and great with kids. There's another breed to consider..I love them both!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Keep in mind that what we would consider SHTF/EOTWAWKI, is what people in antiquity called everyday life. Look at some of the older working breeds. Just like selecting a gun or other piece of equipment, consider what exactly you expect this dog to do and does that job fit the profile of the dog? Keep in mind that many breeds today may be a bit over-bred and may have been bred for show-dog traits over work-dog attributes.

For me, I want a dog that can act a sentry, passive deterrent, and weapon. I like the American Pit Bull Terrier. I think 'The Pit' is the jack-of-all-trades of dogs. The biggest problem with this breed as it exists today is most are overbred and too big. The original American Pits of the early 20th Century were smallish dogs bred from English Staffs. Because of the current APBT problem in America I currently keep an English Stafforshire Terrier. These dogs are every bit as capable as the American breed but in a much tidier package.

Remember, it is not the sizes of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Caucasian ovcharka.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Obviously I like Anatolians. They are dedicated to guarding the perimeter of your property, are easily trained, and are good with kids. I have had better results with females being less likely to wonder on large tracts of land than with males.
    I agree with earlier comments about any dog breed doing the job with the proper training. My main expectations are a quick response to comands and care for family and property. Any mut with a hearty build could be a good candidate.
    Last edited by anatolian B; 08-20-11 at 19:29.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    West German working blood line German Shepherd. I trained dogs for schutzhund for a while and dealt with a lot of dogs. I also like Belgian Malinois' a lot.

Sent from HTC EVO using taptalk

Feedback Score
    We have a Boxer, and she is a great dog. She has been easy to train, good with kids, and loyal to a fault! Our girl is on the small side for Boxers, but this has been a plus because, as all Boxer owners know, they think they are lap dogs.

Get a Boxer and don't look back...just stock up on food.
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington

"Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangman View Post
    You may have already read up on them, but here's a little info on them....

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canecorsoitaliano.htm
    So....data from personal experience?

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast