Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting picture thread--weak bellies beware!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Outstanding PB.

How was your shot placement in relation to sight picture-POA/POI?
    Did he travel far after the shot?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    He was on a very steep hill as they seem to do so. I held off almost a full length of elk to hold for wind to get a vitals shot. I hit his back hip on first wind hold putting cross hairs in front of animal. He kicked his rear leg a couple times , then I held a bit more wind, night night

He basically tumbled down the hill 20 yards and was caught between two trees. No forward movement. It was 10.5 mils elevation.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-11-17 at 12:56.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Hard to follow up PB with that kill, but here is my cow from Sunday am. 209 yards. 300 win mag. 200gr accubond.

Used machinery from start to finish as was on private land. First hunt like this. Super easy but I would prefer the high county hunts.

IMG-20171210-WA0004 by , on Flickr

IMG_20171210_102656 by , on Flickr

IMG_20171210_090155 by , on Flickr
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 12-11-17 at 21:23.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I took a 5X5 Bull elk in Unit 23 near Payson AZ. last Friday. Shot him with my 300WM, 220 ELD-X bullets at 1,300 yards. I laser-ed him at 1,400 then ran to the end of the hill cutting off 100 yards and did the deed. Maybe Markm will post some pics he has. We carted out 168lbs of meat and it killed us. Shot him on the nastiest hill imaginable.
    That is about as unethical of a shot as you can get. Disappointing to hear that you shot an animal at that range in a place where you know you won't be able to pack all of the meat out and hit the animal in a place that didn't assure a clean kill. For your reading: http://www.huntfairchase.com/a-shot-too-far/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedyz View Post
    That is about as unethical of a shot as you can get. Disappointing to hear that you shot an animal at that range in a place where you know you won't be able to pack all of the meat out and hit the animal in a place that didn't assure a clean kill. For your reading: http://www.huntfairchase.com/a-shot-too-far/
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is it is no less ethical than my friend who hunted the next week and took two shots inside 200 yards and completely missed the animal. And what makes you think you won't be able to pack all the meat out, I would guess pure ignorance. Because that was not true.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-17-17 at 10:10.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Hard to follow up PB with that kill, but here is my cow from Sunday am. 209 yards. 300 win mag. 200gr accubond.

Used machinery from start to finish as was on private land. First hunt like this. Super easy but I would prefer the high county hunts.

IMG-20171210-WA0004 by , on Flickr

IMG_20171210_102656 by , on Flickr

IMG_20171210_090155 by , on Flickr
    Very nice. I would have liked to have that bull dozer to clean our elk. I want to build a hunting gun that I run suppressed, because my ears felt like not having it was unethical.

What are the specs on that gun? My hunting guns are not lite weight, I have #4 contour kreigers if Im not mistaken. Hardly a mountain gun. I want a gun that I can shoot well and practice with a great deal without beating me up.

PB

PB

Feedback Score
    I took a 5X5 Bull elk in Unit 23 near Payson AZ. last Friday. Shot him with my 300WM, 220 ELD-X bullets at 1,300 yards. I laser-ed him at 1,400 then ran to the end of the hill cutting off 100 yards and did the deed. Maybe Markm will post some pics he has. We carted out 168lbs of meat and it killed us. Shot him on the nastiest hill imaginable.
    Nice work Papabear. I love that your train’d prepared and ready to execute a shot alike that. Nicely done.

I hunt out west in similar terrain and at similar distance. Really enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is it is no less ethical than my friend who hunted the next week and took two shots inside 200 yards and completely missed the animal. And what makes you think you won't be able to pack all the meat out, I would guess pure ignorance. Because that was not true.
    It is unethical to make a shot that usually takes you 4 to 5 shots to get in practice. Shooting the hind quarters and ruining a ton of meat is unethical and not a quick kill. What would you have done if you wounded it and it ran off in the terrain you said was steep. Pulling a little over 160 lbs of meat off of a bull that has a head that weighs 35-40 lbs alone means you either left a lot of meat in the field or you ruined a shit ton due to incompetence. Your buddy who can't hit at 200 hundred has no bearing on anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedyz View Post
    It is unethical to make a shot that usually takes you 4 to 5 shots to get in practice. Shooting the hind quarters and ruining a ton of meat is unethical and not a quick kill. What would you have done if you wounded it and it ran off in the terrain you said was steep. Pulling a little over 160 lbs of meat off of a bull that has a head that weighs 35-40 lbs alone means you either left a lot of meat in the field or you ruined a shit ton due to incompetence. Your buddy who can't hit at 200 hundred has no bearing on anything.
    We’re does it say anything like it took 5-6 shots and the OP left any meat? Is that your speculation?

Sound like a great hunt. We’ll done OP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    We’re does it say anything like it took 5-6 shots and the OP left any meat? Is that your speculation?

Sound like a great hunt. We’ll done OP
    He stated he attempts shots like this on weekends and last time it took him 4-5 shots to get hits. Pulling 168 lbs of meat off of that animal means that meat was left in the field. I didn't need to speculate.

Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast