Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting picture thread--weak bellies beware!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This guy was killed in MO. I was getting out of my blind when he walked into our food plot from behind me. I was going to let him grow for another year but he was headed right for a guy's land who shoots everything with hair. That, coupled with the fact he stood in front of me for 10 minutes when he knew something wasn't right, made me realized he was too damn dumb to live another year.
    Attachment 9479
    Attachment 9478
    Last edited by longball; 08-24-11 at 08:02.
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unfortunately on this turkey hunt the only one who killed anything was an amish guy who was trespassing. He shot one of 3 birds that were headed our way. That was of course, after he fell and nearly shot himself getting to that spot.

Last edited by longball; 10-23-11 at 08:26.
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Pest control. 147gr Ranger's work wonders on armadillos.

Last edited by longball; 08-26-11 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    Mouse Gun takes a Nine-Banded Armadillo

Feedback Score
    175 yard shot with SIG 556 using 75 grain Hornady BTHP handloads

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Be careful about messing with the Armadillo. They are big time carriers of Leprosy and it can be transmitted from them to humans. Shot them and leave them lie. I don't think I'd be touching one at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Be careful about messing with the Armadillo. They are big time carriers of Leprosy and it can be transmitted from them to humans. Shot them and leave them lie. I don't think I'd be touching one at all.
    You are correct about that but most humans are naturally resistant to leprosy depending on their MHC genes, ie nurses and doctors can work with lepers for decades without contracting leprosy.

I was a professional veterinary wildlife microbiologist before I morphed into a molecular geneticist in my previous life.

However, armadillos are a known reservoir for the bacterium that heretofore was believed to be a strict human pathogen like syphillis.

The New England Journal of Medicine published the definitive article on armadillo-human Mycobacterium leprae earlier this year, confirming what we had suspected for many years:

N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1626-1633

Whole-genome resequencing of M. leprae from one wild armadillo and three U.S. patients with leprosy revealed that the infective strains were essentially identical.

Comparative genomic analysis of these strains and M. leprae strains from Asia and Brazil identified 51 single-nucleotide polymorphisms and an 11-bp insertion–deletion.

We genotyped these polymorphic sites, in combination with 10 variable-number tandem repeats, in M. leprae strains obtained from 33 wild armadillos from five southern states, 50 U.S. outpatients seen at a clinic in Louisiana, and 64 Venezuelan patients, as well as in four foreign reference strains.

We show that a high percentage of unrelated leprosy cases in the southern United States involve infection with the same unique strain of M. leprae that occurs naturally among wild armadillos in the region.

These armadillos are a large natural reservoir for M. leprae.

The genome sequences of the predominant armadillo and human strains in this region are essentially identical, and M. leprae of this genotype has not been reported previously elsewhere in the world.

Eating and handling armadillos is not to be recommended based on this evidence.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The armadillos in my pictures are shown just as they were when they fell. I don't touch the things, just leave them to the buzzards. They make me wanna
    Last edited by longball; 09-02-11 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    They are nasty aren't they. I've been lucky enough to run a couple over

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    They are nasty aren't they. I've been lucky enough to run a couple over
    Almost as nasty as opossums. I shot one last year that produced the most foul odor I have ever encountered. I don't get near those either if I can help it.
    Last edited by longball; 09-02-11 at 07:27.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast