Thread: Need help understanding guide rod assembly

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Need help understanding guide rod assembly

Before I ask, I'll admit I'm a dumbass. I'm no armorer when it comes to firearms, but this should be more direct. I just received a Wolff guide rod and recoil spring to fit an m&p. The guide rod has no retention for the spring. The spring is longer than the rod. Am I supposed to just ram the rod and spring into position?

Thanks for the guidance.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Before I ask, I'll admit I'm a dumbass. I'm no armorer when it comes to firearms, but this should be more direct. I just received a Wolff guide rod and recoil spring to fit an m&p. The guide rod has no retention for the spring. The spring is longer than the rod. Am I supposed to just ram the rod and spring into position?

Thanks for the guidance.
    Yep. Not all firearms have the spring fixed the the guide rod(called captured spring). Examples of pistols that do not have captured spring would be Sig Sauer, 1911s, and CZs.

BTW, why do you feel the need to use a non-factory spring and rod?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post
    BTW, why do you feel the need to use a non-factory spring and rod?
    I am curious as well. If the gun runs fine otherwise there is no reason to monkey around with recoil springs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am curious as well. If the gun runs fine otherwise there is no reason to monkey around with recoil springs.
    Great question. I am trying for operator enduced malfunctions resulting from excessive tinkering! I use this m&p for competition and am testing lower power springs. Wolff recoil springs require their guide rods.

FWIW, the guide rod feels heavier and of more quality than the stock m&p.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Before I ask, I'll admit I'm a dumbass.
    A dumbass wouldn't think to ask.