Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Africa anyone?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thank you, Chief, that is a very kind offer. I will take you up on that in a few years.

Feedback Score
    I've never heard of taking a giraffe.

Are they good eating or is the hide highly prized or did they need to be culled for disease reasons or...?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post

Are they good eating or is the hide highly prized or did they need to be culled for disease reasons or...?

Thanks!
    The meat is utilized. The hide and leg bones are used for rugs and knife handle materials as well as scrimshaw. It is a common game animal.

Feedback Score

Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    Dang, brings back some good memories. I hunted RSA several years ago, around same area as Mr. Haught, Limpopo region close to Botswana border. It has been a dream of mine ever since I knew there was hunting in Africa, what being a Texas born and bred hunter and all. My good hunting buddy and I were at a Safari Club Intl banquet and as we were talking to outfitters a couple of older gentlemen stopped by and said if you want to go to Africa, go. You can borrow money if you need to, but you can't borrow time. Who knows what tomorrow brings, who knows what your health will be, etc. Luckily I didn't have to borrow money to go, but that did solidify it for both of us. It was expensive, of course. Just getting there and shooting is half the price. Getting your game back and mounted is a fun extra expense.

I can say that RSA was very similar to me to Texas. The people were very similar, and much of the terrain reminded me of home. Yes, we hunted on ranches because I think that's about all the options there are in RSA. But we spent our time on huuuuge places...like 50,000 acres. Only saw fences going in. I'm a fair chase guy, and I didn't feel morally conflicted.

Got 5 plains game animals, from the small duiker, to mid-range impala and blesbuk, and the big kudu and gemsbok. All taken with a Browning X-bolt in 30.06, using Federal off-the-shelf ammo topped with Barnes TSX 180 gr bullets. Those dudes performed masterfully.

I guess Africa isn't for everyone. I can tell you that you'd have as much to shoot at as you wish. You'll see amazing numbers of diverse animals. You'll meet great people. You'll see amazing terrain. If that's not your deal, don't go.

Feedback Score
    That reminds me, I've got more photos to upload for Dad.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post

Thanks!
    They make a heck of a trophy. Wouldn't have thought so until I saw some mounted over there.

When I arrived at hunting camp a sheik and two of his sons where there hunting. They went on and on about shooting two giraffes (hard g pronunciation which I had to hold back a chuckle on) to put in the entry of one of their houses, with necks crossing. Yeah, um, apparently they were legit and had some dough.

That said, I saw some giraffes in the bush and while they were interesting to look at and take pictures of I didn't have much of an interest in shooting one. I don't knock anyone who does, though.
    Going in, I didn't have an interest in a zebra, but after seeing them I wish I had tried to take one. Anyone who compares them to a horse doesn't know what they're talking about.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011