Thread: Surefire SCAR 17S 762-K can Flash Hider

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Surefire SCAR 17S 762-K can Flash Hider

For those interested, Surefire now has the correct 762K can flash hider/adaptor for the SCAR 17 done and ready to order. This flash hider indexes off the muzzle face and does not require the use of the jam nut that comes with the FSC Brake. To the best of my knowledge, this flash hider will work with the 762K, 762 MINI, and 762 Ti cans (when the latter becomes available). This flash hider does not require timing to the muzzle like the brakes and some of the other flash hiders. The model number is FH762K-SCAR-HC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To answer some questions about the loadout with the SCAR "heavy" MK 17 (7.62MM). We were fortunate to be issued several at work over the last year. I have taken to the 13" CQC barrel on mine. I installed originally my Accupoint 1-4X scope and used it out to 700M with great results. I later installed a 3.5-10X Leupold scope, and an Offset Aimpoint Micro on this little guy and took him on some operations with me. My loadout depended on what I was doing, however if I was wearing my plate carrier I simply replaced my M4 mags with SCAR Heavy Mags (5), and continued with the same number of mags (less total rounds). This was due to using an HSGI Taco and two of HSGIs closed top multi mag carriers. The closed top carriers hold 3 M4 mag or 2 AK/7.62MM SCAR mags very well. I dont place 3 M4 mags in mine due to the thickness of the pouch when thats done, but its capable of that should the need arise to plus up. I also kept my HSGI Warlord chest rig accessable in the truck loaded with mags in case we should need them. When not using body armor I have operated with the HSGI Warlord chestrig and 8 SCAR mags (holds up to 12 M4 mags). I've made some brutal climbs up mountains in this configuration and it was not an issue for me with this weapon/ammo, and the other many toys that we needed at the top.

Overall, I like the Short barrel on the SCAR, the weapon shoots very well, handles like a dream, is very reliable on our end using it in the field. And I have no concerns carrying it with the short barrel. I've personally made shots with a 1-4X scope mounted and the CQC barrel installed in the 5-700 Meter range with no issues. 800M was a bit hit or miss (pun intended) but this was mostly due to optics being used (4X on the top end), and wind conditions on the range. All of this was done with the M82 delinked ball MG ammo. I KNOW it will shoot considerably better with a match grade round.

I personally would like a short and handy 7.62MM rifle, and will consider the SCAR in the CQC configuration myself when the time comes to buy one. However, I find the PWS Gas Piston quite interesting and the Mags being commonly available sure tips the scale towards that for me. If Mags were more readily available then I'd be more inclined to opt into a SCAR 17. The folding stock on the SCAR is a very nice bonus and I've seen people carry this weapon in places normally only a Krink or pistol would have been accessable, so that says alot for it as well.

The only pictures I currently have are of the rig with my M4 mags setup, and you can kind of imagine the SCAR mags swapped for M4 mags. The Chest rig I use is an HSGI Warlord in Multicam. The Warlord utilizes the same magazine pouches that I use mounted on my Plate Carrier (minus the TACO). The great things is they expand and take AK, M4, or any kind of SCAR heavy/SR-25 or M14 mags just as easily as one can imagine. Thats why I bought a bunch from High Speed Gear before this deployment, and its certainly paid off. I will see if I can post the pictures of the SCAR and the setup at a later point.

For now here goes...

This is a photo of the pouches open, you can see the bungie is very adjustable and the Taco of course is easy to adjust to your various mags.

Like I said I'll try and find some of action photos at a later time with the SCAR on the range or at work. Until then this should give you an idea of the loadout I have been runnning. Overall I think anyone armed with the SCAR Heavy (MK17) would have few dissadvantages, and be capable of taking shots easy out beyond 500 Meters even with it in the CQC configuration. I honestly beleive this rifle is more accurate than some "Sniper" weapons I've shot before!

Disclaimer... FN Never paid me to say good things about thier products, I am just partial to them since they work!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    For those interested, Surefire now has the correct 762K can flash hider/adaptor for the SCAR 17 done and ready to order. This flash hider indexes off the muzzle face and does not require the use of the jam nut that comes with the FSC Brake. To the best of my knowledge, this flash hider will work with the 762K, 762 MINI, and 762 Ti cans (when the latter becomes available). This flash hider does not require timing to the muzzle like the brakes and some of the other flash hiders. The model number is FH762K-SCAR-HC

Did you have your surefire adapter installed by a gunsmith or did you do it on your own? I ordered both models for my 16 and 17 and would love to do the work on my own but I'm not sure how to secure either rifle in my vise. I don't have the armorer's blocks for the scar. Any suggestions on how to put them safely in a vise or am I better off sending them to someone for the install?

Leave the guns...bring the cannolis.
    Give me but one firm spot on which to stand and I will move the Earth. -Archimedes

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matman87 View Post
    To answer some questions about the loadout with the SCAR "heavy" MK 17 (7.62MM). We were fortunate to be issued several at work over the last year. I have taken to the 13" CQC barrel on mine. I installed originally my Accupoint 1-4X scope and used it out to 700M with great results. I later installed a 3.5-10X Leupold scope, and an Offset Aimpoint Micro on this little guy and took him on some operations with me. My loadout depended on what I was doing, however if I was wearing my plate carrier I simply replaced my M4 mags with SCAR Heavy Mags (5), and continued with the same number of mags (less total rounds). This was due to using an HSGI Taco and two of HSGIs closed top multi mag carriers. The closed top carriers hold 3 M4 mag or 2 AK/7.62MM SCAR mags very well. I dont place 3 M4 mags in mine due to the thickness of the pouch when thats done, but its capable of that should the need arise to plus up. I also kept my HSGI Warlord chest rig accessable in the truck loaded with mags in case we should need them. When not using body armor I have operated with the HSGI Warlord chestrig and 8 SCAR mags (holds up to 12 M4 mags). I've made some brutal climbs up mountains in this configuration and it was not an issue for me with this weapon/ammo, and the other many toys that we needed at the top.

Overall, I like the Short barrel on the SCAR, the weapon shoots very well, handles like a dream, is very reliable on our end using it in the field. And I have no concerns carrying it with the short barrel. I've personally made shots with a 1-4X scope mounted and the CQC barrel installed in the 5-700 Meter range with no issues. 800M was a bit hit or miss (pun intended) but this was mostly due to optics being used (4X on the top end), and wind conditions on the range. All of this was done with the M82 delinked ball MG ammo. I KNOW it will shoot considerably better with a match grade round.

I personally would like a short and handy 7.62MM rifle, and will consider the SCAR in the CQC configuration myself when the time comes to buy one. However, I find the PWS Gas Piston quite interesting and the Mags being commonly available sure tips the scale towards that for me. If Mags were more readily available then I'd be more inclined to opt into a SCAR 17. The folding stock on the SCAR is a very nice bonus and I've seen people carry this weapon in places normally only a Krink or pistol would have been accessable, so that says alot for it as well.

The only pictures I currently have are of the rig with my M4 mags setup, and you can kind of imagine the SCAR mags swapped for M4 mags. The Chest rig I use is an HSGI Warlord in Multicam. The Warlord utilizes the same magazine pouches that I use mounted on my Plate Carrier (minus the TACO). The great things is they expand and take AK, M4, or any kind of SCAR heavy/SR-25 or M14 mags just as easily as one can imagine. Thats why I bought a bunch from High Speed Gear before this deployment, and its certainly paid off. I will see if I can post the pictures of the SCAR and the setup at a later point.

For now here goes...

This is a photo of the pouches open, you can see the bungie is very adjustable and the Taco of course is easy to adjust to your various mags.

Like I said I'll try and find some of action photos at a later time with the SCAR on the range or at work. Until then this should give you an idea of the loadout I have been runnning. Overall I think anyone armed with the SCAR Heavy (MK17) would have few dissadvantages, and be capable of taking shots easy out beyond 500 Meters even with it in the CQC configuration. I honestly beleive this rifle is more accurate than some "Sniper" weapons I've shot before!

Disclaimer... FN Never paid me to say good things about thier products, I am just partial to them since they work!
    Hey man thats awesome to hear. I just have one question (you answered all of the rest)

How is the Scar17 with regards to recoil and muzzle climb? Are hammer pairs at say 25 yards easily done?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Sorry for the necropost... I just got one of these installed on my 17 earlier today. Won't get a chance to shoot it for two weeks or so, but I'm looking forward to not having my teeth hurt when I let someone shoot it.

Two points that may be of interest:

1. As mentioned earlier, it doesn't require timing or shims, which is nice, but the manual doesn't do a good job of explaining this, since it's a one size fits all sort of thing. The folks at VA Arms had to call in and talk to SF about it. If you're putting it on yourself, knowing this will save you some headache.

2. Leading from #1, it's a four slot FH, and doesn't have a solid section facing down like an A2 to prevent dirt and such being kicked up when firing prone. I bought it mainly to mount a future can to it, and to get rid of the unpleasantness that is the FSC, so that's ok with me.

Now to get an NFA trust set up...
    Last edited by BaronFitz; 03-28-12 at 17:46.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

Hate to dig up an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has used this flash hider in conjunction with a suppressor?

I have one installed on my SCAR 17S and was wondering if the timing is important if running a suppressor?
    Mine doesn't seemed to be aligned in any way, shape or form.

Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    It should have come with shims which will allow you to align the hider perfect. It would drive me crazy not having it aligned correct.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bwhited View Post
    It should have come with shims which will allow you to align the hider perfect. It would drive me crazy not having it aligned correct.
    It actually didn't include any shims at all in the package.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterFanBoy View Post
    It actually didn't include any shims at all in the package.
    That's the original specific Scar H hider made by surefire and is no longer in production. It was made only for the Scar H/17. It simply gets torqued on to their recommended setting, with rocksett of course. No shims are used. The new socom can mounts are not made for each specific make of firearm any longer. They go by thread patterns and they require shims to time them correctly. The above poster, Baron Fitz, mentioned this as well.
    Last edited by SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS; 05-03-13 at 12:01.

Leave the guns...bring the cannolis.
    Give me but one firm spot on which to stand and I will move the Earth. -Archimedes