Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feasibility of catastrophic natural disaster

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I think Yellowstone erupting is a lot more likely than anything else. If Yellowstone erupts it wont be the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it. Large amounts of ash in the atmosphere will likely cause a global cooling, possibly throwing us into another ice age (which were about due for). A lot of crops will die off and most of the Midwest will be covered in ash. National and global instability would surely ensue due to a food shortage, economic damage, large amounts of refugees etc. I think if something of that nature happens we could expect to see something close to anarchy in this country.

EDIT: overall though there seems to be a lot of fear mongering going on in the world. People seem to be infatuated with the end times. I think were headed for a time of national and global instability but people need to quit freaking out about gamma ray bursts and all that BS. A lot of this stuff is theoretical. These scientists change their minds all the time. I think an ice age is far more likely than anything else, and even then... It actually seems like maybe there is a likelihood that Yellowstone could erupt with all this other volcanic activity. I'd like to read more about it.
    If the Yellowstone Caldera goes so does the grain belt. Most of the world would starve as there would be no sun light for several years so crops could not grow. I DO believe that some humans would survive if this occurs but it would be like what was presented in The Road.

We know that in about five billion years our sun will become a red giant at the end of it's life cycle as it will have consumed all of it's fuel and simply burn out. The Earth will be burned up before becoming consumed by the growing red giant. Nothing is absolute and all things come to an end in the universe, it's just the nature of the beast.

As for me, myself, and I. . .I'm am more concerned with the human element and prepare accordingly.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    EDIT: overall though there seems to be a lot of fear mongering going on in the world. People seem to be infatuated with the end times.
    It seems in reading many forums that a great many people are not simply trying to prepare for some potential disaster, but actually want a major disaster to occur.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
    It seems in reading many forums that a great many people are not simply trying to prepare for some potential disaster, but actually want a major disaster to occur.

Don't go lettin' the cat outta the bag.

I know a bunch of people who were really disappointed that Y2K didn't turn out to be a technological doomsday......

Re: the Yellowstone Caldera:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/

Money quote:

Fortunately, the Yellowstone volcanic system shows no signs that it is headed toward such an eruption. The probability of a large caldera-forming eruption within the next few thousand years is exceedingly low.
    Mind you, this was written when the plateau was seeing a more rapid uplift (which has since slowed significantly).

On the uplift subsiding:

Scroll down a little and read all the reports on ground deformation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most likely natural disaster in Oregon is the coastal shelf shifting about 30 miles offshore and causing earthquake and tsunami. A Tsunami would hit so fast it would wipe out most of the coastal towns since they are located on a thin strip of flat land between the ocean and the Coast Range. At only 30 miles away they would never get enough warning for folks to evacuate. Hard to tell how much damage the earthquake would no where the population resides in the Willamette Valley on the other side of the Coast Range. Besides being widespread, bith type of disasters will strike with virtually no warning.

Floods happen every few years but those cause much more localized damage. Same for ice/freezing rain, or high wind storm which are more rare.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post

Don't go lettin' the cat outta the bag.

I know a bunch of people who were really disappointed that Y2K didn't turn out to be a technological doomsday......

Re: the Yellowstone Caldera:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3024/

Money quote:

Mind you, this was written when the plateau was seeing a more rapid uplift (which has since slowed significantly).

On the uplift subsiding:

Scroll down a little and read all the reports on ground deformation.
    I doubt any of us want it to happen. Like I said in another thread, preparing is an exercise. That said, morbid fascination goes along with a lot of these scenarios. Hence the reason Armegeddon, Independence Day, The Core, Deep Impact, and 2012 grossed what they did at the box office.

I guess the articles I linked to were written by people who want the disasters to happen

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I think the next "big thing" will be earthquakes. Most of the other countries on the planet that are geologically active have had some pretty big ones in the last several years. The US hasn't had a significant one in a long time.

I figure it will hit either the West coast or more likely the New Madrid fault. (Where I live ) If it does, there will be major damage and I believe that if it is of a large enough magnitude it will overwhelm the governments ability to respond. Considering the type of people that live in this area, I am planning accordingly. I don't expect there to be a Japanese response here, more like Katrina.

As to the Mayan crap. Why do they think a Stone Age people that couldn't predict their own cultural demise would be able to predict the end/rebirth of the world....

2012 has me on edge only for the potential of someone trying to "help" it along.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    2012 isn't the end of the world, but I think this is a real threat. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news..._stormwarning/. Basically the planet getting hit with EMP blasts. This can definitely make things difficult. The Gov't has been very quiet about this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    I doubt any of us want it to happen. Like I said in another thread, preparing is an exercise. That said, morbid fascination goes along with a lot of these scenarios. Hence the reason Armegeddon, Independence Day, The Core, Deep Impact, and 2012 grossed what they did at the box office.

I guess the articles I linked to were written by people who want the disasters to happen
    The only ones I've seen/heard that want some catastrophe to happen are global warmers. Strangely none of the are preppers either, they want the government to "do something" while they drive their three cars and ski boat. Never heard a prepper look forward to a natural disaster, though many are much more relaxed about it than the general population as they are ready and not panicky..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Exclamation Major US Fault Lines - Known

I've been following this for over a decade; probably since the early nineties. There are several dangerous areas in the US: anything west of the Rockies (whale fossils found in the Rockies) but particularly the San Andreas Fault, move eastward and you find the New Madrid (which branches into or lies adjacent to other faults that lead to the Great Lakes in the north and to the Gulf of Mexico to the South), and the eastern seabord.

There is geological evidence supporting occasional pole shifting. You can google "earth changes map" to get some idea of what some expect the US to look like. There is also a book by a geologist who began reading Edgar Cayce's premonitions regarding this and applied his training/knowledge of such things and wrote a book called COMING EARTH CHANGES. His last name is Hutton.

Outside the obvious: water, non-perishable foods, clothing, etc., one HAS to physically move from the KNOWN major fault lines.

P.S.

Hot Springs, Arkansas is also a caldera. And it, too, is active - many small quakes as of late.
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    imo,
    hard to speculate & pinpoint specifics of what, where & how. If that was possible there would be A LOT of WEALTHY premonitionist's/Clairevoyants & Gypsies et alia etc.

I think EQ's are the best bet followed by Volcano's & that could trigger the other's etc.

The REAL dealeo is going to be the deliberate financial crash being staged on our economy and society & that will translate world wide. That is going to happen 100% w/ certitude. What will that look like is anybody's guess, prepare for worst etc.

AS the US maintains it's COG (continuity of Government) The UN will mysteriously emerge as the new way of World Governance. It is planned that way already. All our National Parks have been pledged as colleratal against our World Economic debt. That is a fact.

To put it into perspective, China one of the other World's superpowers spends appoximetly 1.9 Billion on their Total Defense budget. The US spends 1.1+ TRILLION in our total Defense Budget (not coounting Black Ops well hidden in other programs etc.)

The US just ordered 55 new Global Hawks. It's obvious that this administration is gearing up for a regime change (out of Chaos comes order, New World Order) Those Global Hawks will be used for Global Surveillance which no other country can even come close. Not Russia, N. Korea or China. STAR WARS is here and the US has that technology locked up. That will be how conflicts are fought in the future. UAV's will reconnoiter, access, surveil, and standby for target command order w/ laser guided missile used for minimal collateral damage. We are doing it now, have been & have it perfected. Border, drug cartels will be dealt with this way as well in the future. My opinion is Obama is a Muslim & does not have BC.

The US plans to dominate the World Goverance w/ Military Industrial Complex & through the UN as the tool etc. Remember Dwight Eisenhower's speech regarding the Military Industrial Complex ?

Here it is below for those w/ their heads in the sand still...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg-jvHynP9Y

Russia, China N. Korea will supposedly come on board as their fate is sealed by non compliance & necessity. They cannot remain independant and imo, don't see it comming yet. The US is planning on this strategy to drop all the other non friendly countries in their hands due to preservation of their societies survival. There will be eugenics/mass killings etc in this process.

As weird as it sounds that is the stage being set and what we will be subjected to. Watch how fast things are accelerating, things that you thought were not possible now are happening etc.

There are Wild cards as the World awakens to this reality. All staged for 2012 as it corresponds to the prophecies, Bible, Nostradamus, Mayan calender et al etc. The Wild cards are exactly that & no one can predict w/ certitude what that will be......

watch it unfold....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast