Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: question from the semi nOOb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    This sounds rude, but we much prefer to have first hand accounts on things. If it is second hand info, then we want to see the proof. If it is third hand then we are most likely better off without it.

So the question to you is, have you ever owned a set of KNS pins and had them break???
    C4
    No offense taken.

No, I have never owned them. But as I wrote "From what I have seen," I was present when a pair I did not own but was 3 feet from failed during "hard use", where "hard use" is 3 F/A mag dumps in a row (~90 rounds in about 10-12 seconds). The second failure I was present for did not become apparent during shooting, but while switching uppers, the hammer came out of the lower. In both cases, it was the hammer pin that broke, both times at the friction point around where the hammer rotates.

All other instances where these pins were in use and I was present for were semi-auto and there were no failures.

For guns I do own or was issued I have never used these pins and have never had a pin failure (or a walkout), in over 150,000 (est) round in the last 30 years or so.

Feedback Score
    This is the first time I have ever heard of breakage as the reason not to use them. Maybe because, as you have stated, its full auto related and that really reduces the sample. But that's a first, usually, the reason against are, they are unnecessary and the reasons for are, they are cheap insurance or large/worn holes. Were the ones you saw gen1, 2, both? Don't know if it matters just interested.

I have first hand seen a few pins walk out during live fire and have had one do it to me personally on a sun devil lower. I now run them in all my AR's without incident. I have over 10 k through one of my LMT babies thats had them in it . Other than routine maintenance parts replacement has been fine. No pin breakage issues to speak of. I have run it "hard" as well. Easy 1500 + in an long afternoon hard on a few occasions. I would think someone like Pat Rogers would have seen it all or Larry V.

Tim Welter

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pittbull View Post
    Seen this ALOT, can someone please explain what this is called, and it's purpose?
    I couldn't find it in the Knowledge base threads...but thanks to everybody for the knowledge base, i found ALOT of other very useful info...
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...n01/dd15_3.jpg
    They're great anti-walk and anti-rotational pins. The side effect of anti-rotation is a very consistent trigger pull from shot to shot. This to me is worth the $25-30 price..........YMMV.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gents,

It is possible to find the 1st gen pins? Who have them?

I noticed that the 2nd gen pins dont fit some receivers. Also 1st gen are way cooler.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacDoc View Post
    Gents,

It is possible to find the 1st gen pins? Who have them?

I noticed that the 2nd gen pins dont fit some receivers. Also 1st gen are way cooler.
    If you order them directly from KNS you can still get gen. 1 pins.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    If you order them directly from KNS you can still get gen. 1 pins.
    gotM4...

Curious as to the difference of the GenI and GenII pin set?

Tack

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    gotM4...

Curious as to the difference of the GenI and GenII pin set?

Tack
    If using them for a consistent trigger get the Gen 1 pins. The Gen 2 still move a tiny bit. Gen 1s are perfectly still. The hammer pin in the Gen 2s is solid and would benefit 9mm lowers better than Gen 1s.

Feedback Score
    Guys,
    I wanted to bring this thread back to life for a second (or more).

I recently received some GEN I pins from a dealer, and I have also used GEN II pins in the past. I actually have both GEN I and GEN II packages right here in front of me.
    I would like to know WHY the GEN I pins say in RED lettering, "NOT FOR USE IN FULL AUTO, 9MM, or SUPPRESSED FIRE" ???
    The GEN II packaging does NOT say this. I THINK the KNS website also says to use the GEN II pins for Full Auto, 9mm, or Suppressed fire.
    I thought that many guys were using the Gen I pins for Full Auto, AND suppressed fire, with no problems.
    What issues can arise from using GEN I pins in F/A, 9mm, or Suppressed guns?
    What effect does suppressed, and 9mm have on the pins, moreso than semi auto, or .223?

Oh, one more thing. Am I supposed to occasionally remove the two screws on one side of the lower, for oiling purposes? I assume this is the idea behind those pin holes in my GEN I pins, right? Do the GEN II pins also have the tiny pinhole oil seepage holes?
    One more thing I've noticed, is that it's quite an oily situation down inside the pins, and I seriously doubt that blue loctite is serving any purpose (KNS put a small dab of blue loctite on the threads of each screw). Just an observation. I've never had any of the screws come loose on any of my KNS pins though, so I doubt loctite is even needed.
    Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123