Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbine Weight

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Carbine Weight

I posted this over at WEVO as well but thought I would post it here to maybe illicit some more responses.

Lightweight seems to be the trend these days. When I put together this BCM 16in Midlength Bravo Company had just introduced BFH barrels, I don't believe the LW barrels were even out yet. None the less, I wasn't very interested. After more learning occurred I find my self now wanting an LW barrel and I've been thinking about maybe going with the DD MFR as my current rifle weighs as configured at a heafty 8.5 lbs unloaded and 9 lbs loaded.

My first question is, is an 8.5lb 16in AR-15 considered heavy or is that fairly normal these days? Next is what could be done to cut weight with out getting extreme? What could the weight potentially be cut down to? What I have been considering doing is Replacing the barrel with a LW 16in, DD MFR 12.0 and perhaps replacing the stock with either an LMT SOPMOD or VLTOR I-MOD.

Rifle as configured:

- BCM 16in Midlength with Shaved FSB
    - Aimpount T1
    - Surefire X-300
    - Surefire MB-556
    - VLTOR EMOD (nothing in compartments)
    - Troy BUIS
    - Larue FUG (nothing inside)
    - Larue 11.0 Rail

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Typically a fully-loaded 3-round Pmag is right around 1 lbs. so something is off in your numbers.

First, as someone that's been interested in reducing weight for quite some time, I want to be clear that the goal is to reduce weight WITHOUT sacrificing function. For example, if you need a NV laser then you cannot simply dump it to save weight. Similarly dumping an optic and going to irons only just to save weight is not part of the program. It's also not about chasing numbers to chase numbers. If you think you'd prefer the rifle to be lighter then make it lighter, but don't look at someone else saying they have a 7.5 lbs rifle and think "man, mine's 8.5 lbs I'm doing something wrong".

The "fat" on your gun is in the following areas:
    • Barrel
    • Rail
    • VFG
    • Stock

I could quantify those weights but you could Google just as easily as I can.

Some comparison weights

Last edited by rob_s; 08-24-11 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A2 -> A1 profile barrel = 4 oz.
    Larue 11.0 -> TRX Extreme 11.0 = 6 oz.
    Emod -> MOE = ~ 5 oz.

That's almost a pound right there

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My weapon is very close to yours as far as weight. Probably just a touch heavier. My setup is very similar but the biggest difference is that I have a UBR stock instead of the Emod. Here's a pic of mine

I've thought about changing out the stock, the rails and the VFG. On the other hand I'm using a VCAS sling and the weight is easily manageable. I love the UBR stock, which weighs a ton, so I'm at a standstill. Over all though it weighs about 8.5lbs empty and 9.5lbs or so with a full mag. Making those changes I could probably knock off 1lb to 1.5lbs but the weight just doesn't bother me that much right now.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 08-24-11 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks Rob, the 9 lbs was incorrect, the scale actually said 9.4. I'm going to look seriously into a SOPMOD, MFR Rail and a LW barrel. If I could shave 2 lbs off the rifle that would be awesome, however I'm not sure that's possible.
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 08-24-11 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If going with the MFR Rail, what would be a good way to mount a two point sling? I was thinking about using a small section of rail to attach Gear Sector mount at the back of the tube.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What is an "MFR rail"?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...rail-12-0.html

Its a really nice rail and excellent mounting system.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by goteron View Post
    https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...rail-12-0.html

Its a really nice rail and excellent mounting system.
    Ah, I forgot about that thing. I don't have any experience with them other than finger-banging so I can't comment on them.

However, a more efficient way to mount a QD sling to that handguard would be with a VTAC LPSM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    A2 -> A1 profile barrel = 4 oz.
    Larue 11.0 -> TRX Extreme 11.0 = 6 oz.
    Emod -> MOE = ~ 5 oz.

That's almost a pound right there
    This^
    Barrel, rail and stock are where I would look to lose weight but my personal choice would be

A1 profile barrel
    shorter lighter rail or back to plastic, maybe a MOE hand guard and MVG
    Vltor Modstock or Imod
    Last edited by SeriousBRD; 08-24-11 at 11:42. Reason: forgot to spell check

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast