Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SIG 556 Nails Another 'Yote

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by handlebar1980 View Post
    Skypup. I love that setup you have there. Does that holagraphic sight ever come in handy? Please give us the spec on the whole thing.
    I am using the Leopold VX-R 1-4-32mm illuminated reticle scope with a 30mm tube on Burris XTR rings with picitanny rails on top of the rings. On top is a Burris Fast Fire Red Dot holographic sight with a 4MOA red dot with zero parallax.

The SIG 556 is an AK-like piston gun, so I am able to fold over the Magpul CTR stock for CQB and use the carbine like a large handgun in the thick stuff, ie stomping after wild boar in chest deep palmettos and scrub brush. That is when I use the Red Dot for less than 50 yards instant shots with the stock folded over

I limit my kills to about 225 yards as that is the max at which I am most accurate shooting unsupported and about the max single shot lethal range of my handloads (Hornady 75 grain BTHP or Barnes 70 grain TSX in LC '09 Brass over 25.0 grains Hodgdon BLC-2 with Wolf SRM primers) in my experience.

The Leopold is a superb illuminated reticle optic for night hunting, as is the Burris Fast Fire, combined they are the best of both worlds day or night!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I'm really envious.

How well does your WML aid in night hunting/shooting?

About how far out into the night can you shoot with it?
    Using the new Olight M-20X LED with the Cree XM-L U2 bin emitter with 500 lumens, I am able to nail any hog or coyote out to 225 yards and light up their retinas out to 350 yards.

Feedback Score
    Don't believe anyone that tells you an accurate 5.56mm is not a lethal round, I have killed dozens of hogs over 450 pounds with one shot through the lungs, none made it more than 30 feet from POI.

It is all about shot placement with this caliber (or any other caliber for that matter....).

BTW, that is NOT a shrunken 556 on that boar!
    Last edited by SkyPup; 08-28-11 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Excellent! This inspires me to make my SIG 556 a hog gun. How is the HOGplex reticle for holdovers and target acquisition?

Feedback Score
    I am really enjoying the Leopold Hog scope with Pig-Pex reticle for fast target acquisition and hold overs once you get it dialed in on target @ 50 yards it is right on the money out to 225 yards. It is a superb optic for hog hunting and anything else out as far as you can see day or night. Just pattern it with your hunting rounds on paper out to 250 yards (50, 100, 150, 200 250) and you will be good to go.

I am using the low Burris XTR rings and there is less than a millimeter clearance between the rail and the scope, keeping it as low to the bore as possible.

I had a real nice Burris XTR 1-4 scope with a true ballistic reticule for the 62 grain NATO round, but I replaced it with the Leopold VX-R because the Leopold is about 2 inches shorter and much lighter to handle. We can use any magazine size for hogs, but I just use Lancer's that hold ten rounds for keeping the weight down and magazine interference in the woods. I've never shot more than twice at anything I've killed anyhow.
    Last edited by SkyPup; 08-28-11 at 07:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am using the Leopold VX-R 1-4-32mm illuminated reticle scope with a 30mm tube on Burris XTR rings with picitanny rails on top of the rings. On top is a Burris Fast Fire Red Dot holographic sight with a 4MOA red dot with zero parallax.thats awsome

Feedback Score
    SkyPup,

How do you manipulate your weapon light?

with it mounted on the right side, it appears that you are left handed?

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

No, I am right handed. The controls are on the rear of the torch, I just use my left thumb underneath the forearm.

I have the remote switch control for it, but I hate having the wires laying around and getting stuck on branches when I am walking through the woods, besides it is really easy to operate with your left thumb anyways.

The 500 lumen Olight M-20X is a super sweet torch, I use both red and green filters at night and they work excellent on retinas out to 250 yards.

Here is a review of the Olight M-20X:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...-the-CREE-XM-L

You can get them from Battery Junction:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m20s-x.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12