Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 shot burst conversion possible?

Feedback Score

3 shot burst conversion possible?

Before anyone decides to flame me with the whole "thats highly illegal" deal, or "why do you need 3 shot burst or full auto? Is it really worth the money?" I just want to say, first off, I know it's illegal. I know the basics of the whole BATF deal, and the process to own a Class III weapon, and I would follow the proceedure and have it 100% legal (i.e. Form 1, pay the tax stamp, etc), otherwise I wouldn't even consider it. I do not want an illegal weapon, and this is not what I am getting at here. Also, this weapon would be used for LEGAL purposes only, namely just shooting at the range, and for the sake of having it, basically from a hobby/collectors standpoint. I'm not a criminal, and have no interest in starting a career as one. As for the question Im sure will be asked, "why do you need full auto or 3 shot burst?" ...well, I dont. In fact, there is no way I would EVER pay the amount of money that a machine gun goes for. Its just not that important to me. However, if it can be had for a reasonable price, why the hell not? I definately don't want to pay $16,000+ for an original Colt M4, so here is my question:

Is there a way to convert a semi auto AR-15 to fire 3 shot burst? Im not talking about some aftermarket piece, that jerry rigs the weapon. Im saying, what parts would have to be replaced to make the weapon 3 shot burst? Is this possible? If so, how much are we talking for a price range? Where can I find these parts? I think I know, but can someone go over the process to have this type of modification registed and legal with the ATF?

If this isn't possible, then its fine. Like I said, I don't need Full Auto or 3 shot burst, and wouldnt pay that much to have it. I just think it would be cool to have, much like a silencer. Dont know why. I guess I could consider it somewhat of a hobby? This is just an honest question from a guy whos new to AR-15s. It doesnt seem that far fetched, and if its possible, Im sure there are thousands that have done it before.
    "...any handgun being considered for serious law enforcement or self-defense use should be chambered for a cartridge that has a 4 as its first number and preferably a 5 as the second."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    possible... yes, legal... not even close.

The only way to make a gun that was not converted before the 1986 ban a machine gun (this includes full auto, 3 shot burst, or anything that fires more than 1 round anytime the trigger is depressed) is to have a sear, or some other device that was registered prior to the 1986 ban.

In short, drilling holes into your ar15 anywhere close to the auto sear hole is a big no no.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    For burst you would need a pre 1986 transferable class III weapon. There are very few of these, and the prices are high (think over $10,000).

If you want to use the "right parts this is pretty much the most common option.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score

Thumbs down

5 to 10 years, conversion.
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT ! DON'T LOOK AT IT !

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLP Standard View Post
    Before anyone decides to flame me with the whole "thats highly illegal" deal, or "why do you need 3 shot burst or full auto? Is it really worth the money?" I just want to say, first off, I know it's illegal. I know the basics of the whole BATF deal, and the process to own a Class III weapon, and I would follow the proceedure and have it 100% legal (i.e. Form 1, pay the tax stamp, etc), otherwise I wouldn't even consider it. I do not want an illegal weapon, and this is not what I am getting at here. Also, this weapon would be used for LEGAL purposes only, namely just shooting at the range, and for the sake of having it, basically from a hobby/collectors standpoint. I'm not a criminal, and have no interest in starting a career as one. As for the question Im sure will be asked, "why do you need full auto or 3 shot burst?" ...well, I dont. In fact, there is no way I would EVER pay the amount of money that a machine gun goes for. Its just not that important to me. However, if it can be had for a reasonable price, why the hell not? I definately don't want to pay $16,000+ for an original Colt M4, so here is my question:

Is there a way to convert a semi auto AR-15 to fire 3 shot burst? Im not talking about some aftermarket piece, that jerry rigs the weapon. Im saying, what parts would have to be replaced to make the weapon 3 shot burst? Is this possible? If so, how much are we talking for a price range? Where can I find these parts? I think I know, but can someone go over the process to have this type of modification registed and legal with the ATF?

If this isn't possible, then its fine. Like I said, I don't need Full Auto or 3 shot burst, and wouldnt pay that much to have it. I just think it would be cool to have, much like a silencer. Dont know why. I guess I could consider it somewhat of a hobby? This is just an honest question from a guy whos new to AR-15s. It doesnt seem that far fetched, and if its possible, Im sure there are thousands that have done it before.
    NFA FAQ

ATFs definition of a machine gun:
    A machine gun is any gun that can fire more than one shot with
    a single pull of the trigger, or a receiver of a machine gun, or a
    combination of parts for assembling a machine gun, or a part or set
    of parts for converting a gun into a machine gun.

So in ATFs eyes there is no difference between 3 round burst and full auto. Both are machine guns.

All machine guns had to be made prior to May 19, 1986 (and in the NFA registry) so unless you have a time machine to go back to early May 1986 you aren't going to be able to make a new machine gun on a Form 1. There is a finite amount of transferable machine guns out there which is why the high prices.
    FFL/SOT armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    For burst you would need a pre 1986 transferable class III weapon. There are very few of these, and the prices are high (think over $10,000).

If you want to use the "right parts this is pretty much the most common option.

What is a "class III weapon" and where can I get one??? They sound cool!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would go with the 3 shot burst! Let me know how it works out for you!
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast