Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are the PMAG feed lips holding up LONG TERM?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

How are the PMAG feed lips holding up LONG TERM?

PMAGS have been out long enough to have some feedback regarding FEED LIP durability and structural integrity...

My concern is with LONG TERM storage of LOADED (30-rounds) PMAGS and the effect on the feed lips. I've seen the IN USE feedback by those in the sandbox, but no feedback on MY NEEDS yet...

Basically, I have an "Oh Crap!" rig set up with tried, trusted and tested PMAGS loaded with 30-rds. This rig sits above my safe and is only for emergency use, therefore it could very well sit for a YEAR or more UNTOUCHED (I check it every winter or so or when I take a Carbine class...). Since it is for emergency use I DO NOT leave the PMAG cap on, plus it would be tough to slip into a TT pouch with the cap on, which is why I wonder about the feed lip integrity. It is just plastic after all...

Yes, I could use my USGI mags (the rig previously did hold my best USGI mags), but I have grown to trust the PMAGS but long term feedback is still coming in... Plus, I don't want to rotate mags... I'm just a civvy that has this rig for bumps in the night... The purpose of this rig is to be READY with trusted gear when needed. Or am I crazy to switch USGI for PMAG in this role?

Any PMAG beta-testers out there with feedback?

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    I keep them feedlip side up in my rig with the caps on. If it came time I would just take the caps off and out them in the rig correctly. I do have other loaded mags ready to go besides the ones in the rig to hold me over.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    I keep them feedlip side up in my rig with the caps on. If it came time I would just take the caps off and out them in the rig correctly. I do have other loaded mags ready to go besides the ones in the rig to hold me over.
    Interesting workaround... But the TT single pouches are pretty snug as they are, I think the bottom plate lip might hinder removal. I will test it out...

Another PMAG testimonial thread has some info about no feed lip spread after 10 months of untouched storage...

As with most civvy, non-operator AR users, my M4 is in a safe. I do keep a full 30-rd PMAG in the M4 at all times. The primary home defense weapon is the semi-auto pistol and flashlight which is used to defend life and limb or get me to my Carbine. So when the M4 and MAV are needed... it is something BAD and needed in a hurry. But that may never happen (I hope and pray), thus my long term feed lip concern.

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."

Feedback Score
    Uh... If it's your security blanket and is never used, where's the harm in leaving it with conventional mags and shooting your PMAGs for regular use?

I wouldn't be concerned about the operational status of my carbine in the self defense role if it's locked up and better protected than I am. But that's just me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post

Any PMAG beta-testers out there with feedback?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8735

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen the IN USE feedback by those in the sandbox, but no feedback on MY NEEDS yet...

You're worrying too much. I guarantee you, the violence your Pmags experience during the feeding cycle of live fire subjects the feed lips to far more stress than just sitting loaded in your mag pouch.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq47 View Post
    Uh... If it's your security blanket and is never used, where's the harm in leaving it with conventional mags and shooting your PMAGs for regular use?

I wouldn't be concerned about the operational status of my carbine in the self defense role if it's locked up and better protected than I am. But that's just me.
    Thanks for your smarta$$ response... I guess every board has those who have to comment from their elite perspective...

Rmpl

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly - for a bump in the night gun - a PMAG in a weapon is likely enough firepower -- and if you are truly concerned about the life of them for the Red Dawn scenario (realisitically who'd need more than 30 rds for a home defence scenario outside an invasion of Canadians or Mexicans)
    If your feeling the need for that many mags -- I'd suggest while the invaders are forming up on the DZ your going to have enough time to take the sec to pop the tab on the cover.

BigRed, myself and many others have mags in Iraq that are constantly loaded - except for brief periods they are emptied for op use or range use. Non have failed (well other than the one I drove the suburban over - it still works mind you -- and the one I dropped from 20 odd feet from the roof onto the lips).

I'd much rather bet my life on a PMAG than a USGI given my experiences to date.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    It is just plastic after all...

Rmpl

Not really correct, but a different discussion none the less.

To answer your question...........

Quote Originally Posted by 7KOPPER View Post
    As far as the PMAG feed lips spreading; I've had a PMAG loaded to 30, no snap cover, sitting on my desk for the last eight months. I've checked it several times for spreading by a quick down load of the rounds and a caliper check. No spreading at all. I'd say they have proven zero creeping under constant load for around eight months.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I'd much rather bet my life on a PMAG than a USGI given my experiences to date.
    My opinion exactly, although in fairness, the aluminum problem mags I have seen/used/witnessed were D&H or CP, and one USGI Sanchez.

I'm still in Orlite/Thermold recovery... it takes awhile to trust non-aluminum mags again...

Thanks Hawkeye for your additional feedback...

Rmpl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast