Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 shot burst conversion possible?

Feedback Score

3 shot burst conversion possible?

Before anyone decides to flame me with the whole "thats highly illegal" deal, or "why do you need 3 shot burst or full auto? Is it really worth the money?" I just want to say, first off, I know it's illegal. I know the basics of the whole BATF deal, and the process to own a Class III weapon, and I would follow the proceedure and have it 100% legal (i.e. Form 1, pay the tax stamp, etc), otherwise I wouldn't even consider it. I do not want an illegal weapon, and this is not what I am getting at here. Also, this weapon would be used for LEGAL purposes only, namely just shooting at the range, and for the sake of having it, basically from a hobby/collectors standpoint. I'm not a criminal, and have no interest in starting a career as one. As for the question Im sure will be asked, "why do you need full auto or 3 shot burst?" ...well, I dont. In fact, there is no way I would EVER pay the amount of money that a machine gun goes for. Its just not that important to me. However, if it can be had for a reasonable price, why the hell not? I definately don't want to pay $16,000+ for an original Colt M4, so here is my question:

Is there a way to convert a semi auto AR-15 to fire 3 shot burst? Im not talking about some aftermarket piece, that jerry rigs the weapon. Im saying, what parts would have to be replaced to make the weapon 3 shot burst? Is this possible? If so, how much are we talking for a price range? Where can I find these parts? I think I know, but can someone go over the process to have this type of modification registed and legal with the ATF?

If this isn't possible, then its fine. Like I said, I don't need Full Auto or 3 shot burst, and wouldnt pay that much to have it. I just think it would be cool to have, much like a silencer. Dont know why. I guess I could consider it somewhat of a hobby? This is just an honest question from a guy whos new to AR-15s. It doesnt seem that far fetched, and if its possible, Im sure there are thousands that have done it before.
    "...any handgun being considered for serious law enforcement or self-defense use should be chambered for a cartridge that has a 4 as its first number and preferably a 5 as the second."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    possible... yes, legal... not even close.

The only way to make a gun that was not converted before the 1986 ban a machine gun (this includes full auto, 3 shot burst, or anything that fires more than 1 round anytime the trigger is depressed) is to have a sear, or some other device that was registered prior to the 1986 ban.

In short, drilling holes into your ar15 anywhere close to the auto sear hole is a big no no.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    For burst you would need a pre 1986 transferable class III weapon. There are very few of these, and the prices are high (think over $10,000).

If you want to use the "right parts this is pretty much the most common option.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score

Thumbs down

5 to 10 years, conversion.
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT ! DON'T LOOK AT IT !

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLP Standard View Post
    Before anyone decides to flame me with the whole "thats highly illegal" deal, or "why do you need 3 shot burst or full auto? Is it really worth the money?" I just want to say, first off, I know it's illegal. I know the basics of the whole BATF deal, and the process to own a Class III weapon, and I would follow the proceedure and have it 100% legal (i.e. Form 1, pay the tax stamp, etc), otherwise I wouldn't even consider it. I do not want an illegal weapon, and this is not what I am getting at here. Also, this weapon would be used for LEGAL purposes only, namely just shooting at the range, and for the sake of having it, basically from a hobby/collectors standpoint. I'm not a criminal, and have no interest in starting a career as one. As for the question Im sure will be asked, "why do you need full auto or 3 shot burst?" ...well, I dont. In fact, there is no way I would EVER pay the amount of money that a machine gun goes for. Its just not that important to me. However, if it can be had for a reasonable price, why the hell not? I definately don't want to pay $16,000+ for an original Colt M4, so here is my question:

Is there a way to convert a semi auto AR-15 to fire 3 shot burst? Im not talking about some aftermarket piece, that jerry rigs the weapon. Im saying, what parts would have to be replaced to make the weapon 3 shot burst? Is this possible? If so, how much are we talking for a price range? Where can I find these parts? I think I know, but can someone go over the process to have this type of modification registed and legal with the ATF?

If this isn't possible, then its fine. Like I said, I don't need Full Auto or 3 shot burst, and wouldnt pay that much to have it. I just think it would be cool to have, much like a silencer. Dont know why. I guess I could consider it somewhat of a hobby? This is just an honest question from a guy whos new to AR-15s. It doesnt seem that far fetched, and if its possible, Im sure there are thousands that have done it before.
    NFA FAQ

ATFs definition of a machine gun:
    A machine gun is any gun that can fire more than one shot with
    a single pull of the trigger, or a receiver of a machine gun, or a
    combination of parts for assembling a machine gun, or a part or set
    of parts for converting a gun into a machine gun.

So in ATFs eyes there is no difference between 3 round burst and full auto. Both are machine guns.

All machine guns had to be made prior to May 19, 1986 (and in the NFA registry) so unless you have a time machine to go back to early May 1986 you aren't going to be able to make a new machine gun on a Form 1. There is a finite amount of transferable machine guns out there which is why the high prices.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    For burst you would need a pre 1986 transferable class III weapon. There are very few of these, and the prices are high (think over $10,000).

If you want to use the "right parts this is pretty much the most common option.

What is a "class III weapon" and where can I get one??? They sound cool!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would go with the 3 shot burst! Let me know how it works out for you!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nationwide View Post
    What is a "class III weapon" and where can I get one??? They sound cool!
    This was almost a useful comment. Id almost consider it spam if it wasnt for it actually having to do with the thread...pointless, ignorant and unnecessary or not....I thought maybe on a forum of this sort, where GENERALLY speaking a higher level of intelligence and maturity is used, that I wouldn't be able to find comments like this, but I guess I was wrong. You be sure and share some of your vast knowledge in some of my other threads too. I'm sure your stay in these forums will be greatly apprectiated by the mods and admins with an attitude like that *thumbs up*

...Anyway... That was just the answer I was looking for. Case closed. No more questions. Its just not worth 10 years in jail, and a $100,000 fine to be able to fire 3 rounds with one trigger pull opposed to 1. I was just curious if its possible, whats involved if it is, and if it can be had for cheap.

Thanks for the help
    "...any handgun being considered for serious law enforcement or self-defense use should be chambered for a cartridge that has a 4 as its first number and preferably a 5 as the second."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GLP Standard View Post
    This was almost a useful comment. Id almost consider it spam if it wasnt for it actually having to do with the thread...pointless, ignorant and unnecessary or not....I thought maybe on a forum of this sort, where GENERALLY speaking a higher level of intelligence and maturity is used, that I wouldn't be able to find comments like this, but I guess I was wrong. You be sure and share some of your vast knowledge in some of my other threads too. I'm sure your stay in these forums will be greatly apprectiated by the mods and admins with an attitude like that *thumbs up*

...Anyway... That was just the answer I was looking for. Case closed. No more questions. Its just not worth 10 years in jail, and a $100,000 fine to be able to fire 3 rounds with one trigger pull opposed to 1. I was just curious if its possible, whats involved if it is, and if it can be had for cheap.

Thanks for the help
    Well, WHAT EXACTLY is a "class III" weapon? Please point out some actual reference to it. Additionally, what would a class I or class II weapon be. Is there a class IV???

Or... were you talking about a Title 2 firearm?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nationwide View Post
    Well, WHAT EXACTLY is a "class III" weapon? Please point out some actual reference to it. Additionally, what would a class I or class II weapon be. Is there a class IV???

Or... were you talking about a Title 2 firearm?
    See Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast