Before anyone decides to flame me with the whole "thats highly illegal" deal, or "why do you need 3 shot burst or full auto? Is it really worth the money?" I just want to say, first off, I know it's illegal. I know the basics of the whole BATF deal, and the process to own a Class III weapon, and I would follow the proceedure and have it 100% legal (i.e. Form 1, pay the tax stamp, etc), otherwise I wouldn't even consider it. I do not want an illegal weapon, and this is not what I am getting at here. Also, this weapon would be used for LEGAL purposes only, namely just shooting at the range, and for the sake of having it, basically from a hobby/collectors standpoint. I'm not a criminal, and have no interest in starting a career as one. As for the question Im sure will be asked, "why do you need full auto or 3 shot burst?" ...well, I dont. In fact, there is no way I would EVER pay the amount of money that a machine gun goes for. Its just not that important to me. However, if it can be had for a reasonable price, why the hell not? I definately don't want to pay $16,000+ for an original Colt M4, so here is my question:

Is there a way to convert a semi auto AR-15 to fire 3 shot burst? Im not talking about some aftermarket piece, that jerry rigs the weapon. Im saying, what parts would have to be replaced to make the weapon 3 shot burst? Is this possible? If so, how much are we talking for a price range? Where can I find these parts? I think I know, but can someone go over the process to have this type of modification registed and legal with the ATF?

If this isn't possible, then its fine. Like I said, I don't need Full Auto or 3 shot burst, and wouldnt pay that much to have it. I just think it would be cool to have, much like a silencer. Dont know why. I guess I could consider it somewhat of a hobby? This is just an honest question from a guy whos new to AR-15s. It doesnt seem that far fetched, and if its possible, Im sure there are thousands that have done it before.