Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 shot burst conversion possible?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post

Regardless of the name of that site there are no class III guns, there are FFL/SOT holders (some are Class 3 dealers) who can deal in Title II NFA firearms. Guns themselves are either Title I or Title II.

From the web site you posted the link to:

What are NFA Weapons?

There are two kinds of firearms under U.S. (federal) law,
    title 1 firearms and title 2. Title 1 firearms are long guns
    (rifles and shotguns), handguns, firearm frames or receivers, and
    most NFA weapons are also title 1 firearms. Title 2 weapons are
    NFA weapons. Title 2 of the 1968 Gun Control Act is the National
    Firearms Act (26 USC sec. 5801 et seq.), hence NFA. Title 1 is
    generally called the Gun Control Act, (18 USC sec. 921 et seq.).
    NFA weapons are sometimes called class 3 weapons, because a class
    3 SOT (see below) is needed to deal in NFA weapons.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nationwide View Post
    Well, WHAT EXACTLY is a "class III" weapon? Please point out some actual reference to it. Additionally, what would a class I or class II weapon be. Is there a class IV???

Or... were you talking about a Title 2 firearm?
    Google "Class III weapons" and youll find MANY sites with text such as these:
    "We are dealers of class 3 weapons"
    "How to Own Class III Weapons"

If you were trying to be witty with your original comment, you definately went about it the wrong way. A simple "you know you're misusing technical terms?" followed by a simple correction would have been better. However, that was pretty clever. I applaude you.

Typing "Class III Weapons" in google, which brings up such texts as the ones I named above, especially to a newbie to the whole topic like myself, would tend to bring the common misconception that the terms NFA firearm, or a "Title 2 Firearm" are used synonymously with "Class III Firearms", but I guess it goes along the same lines as calling a Magazine a "Clip", which I actually can't stand myself, so I guess I see where youre coming from. This actually seems a lot like my supervisor at work shedding some of his knowledge on me when I told him I wanted an M4, meaning an M4 style AR-15, when he went on to tell me how you can't own one as a civilian unless you have a class III license (this is where I originally got this misconception). He probably knew what I meant, but he decided it would be more fun to try and impress me, even though he probably knows less about the subject than I do. However, now I know the difference. Don't see how it actually mattered, or what some people get out of trying to seem more intelligent than they really are through a friggin computer screen, but thanks for the help. Ill do you a favor, and from now on, ill use proper terminology. Hows this for starters: What I meant was...would it be possible to make a weapon ASSOCIATED with a CLASS III DEALER. Next time ill be sure and call it a Title 2 or NFA weapon though.

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Regardless of the name of that site there are no class III guns, there are FFL/SOT holders (some are Class 3 dealers) who can deal in Title II NFA firearms. Guns themselves are either Title I or Title II.
    However, from that website he posted, right at the top it says:
    "F. Class 3 (Machineguns, etc.) Firearm Information
    1. General Guide to Class 3 Weapons"

This coming from a website that actually explains the technical difference between the 2 terms? Its obviously a common misconception. So common that only someone who is trying to sound intelligent would take the time to correct, or flame someone for using. Now I ask, is it really so different that someone says "a class III firearm" opposed to "a firearm associated with a class III dealer" or a "title 2 firearm"? Was his comment really necessary? Or was it just useless spam? Could one not take the term "a class III weapon" as meaning "a weapon which would be associated with a class III dealer"? To me, if a weapon is associated with a class III dealer, that would basically make it a "class III weapon" but I dont know..whatever
    "...any handgun being considered for serious law enforcement or self-defense use should be chambered for a cartridge that has a 4 as its first number and preferably a 5 as the second."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A regular gun dealer is a Title 1 dealer/FFL holder (no SOT paid).

To deal in NFA a Title 1/FFL holder must pay the appropriate SOT which are:

Class 1 : for an importer of NFA firearms.
    Class 2 : is for a manufacturer of NFA firearms.
    Class 3 : is for a dealer in NFA firearms.

Many think this means that NFA firearms are Class 3 (not Title II), clearly misunderstanding the nomenclature.

Nationwide is just busting your balls..............No harm, no foul.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Nationwide is just busting your balls..............No harm, no foul.
    Yes... thank you... I'll be here all week!

As the owner of a machine gun, supressors, and SBR's, I get persnickety over correct wording of these items.

Why? What does it really matter?

Because it's minute details and specific definitions that land people in FPMITA Prison.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Listen to what Robb (gotm4) has to say he will point you in the right direction.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    After all that fun banter on the specifics and definitions of machineguns, suppressors and SBR's let me add that I think 3 rd burst groups are overrated.

With a full auto group and proper trigger control you should be able to shoot 1,2, or 3 round bursts all day long. And still always have the option of laying on the trigger for some full auto action.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mactastic View Post
    After all that fun banter on the specifics and definitions of machineguns, suppressors and SBR's let me add that I think 3 rd burst groups are overrated.

With a full auto group and proper trigger control you should be able to shoot 1,2, or 3 round bursts all day long. And still always have the option of laying on the trigger for some full auto action.
    This has been discussed before. Some of the thoughts were from, loss of accuracy from full auto, to conservation of ammo, to over heating and affecting reliability.

But I agree, it makes more sense to let the user decide on how many rounds to dispense.

And given the choice, how many would choose a 3 round burst over full auto anyway? Probably no one.

Feedback Score
    Alright, alright. So I swaped my terms there for a moment. NFA weapon would have been the correct term. Class III dealer is who you need to go to to purchase such a weapon.

The submarine has thickened my skin enough to not mind being corrected when I'm wrong.

It's all good.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score
    I shoot 3rd burst pretty much all the time, but without the extra selector postion. So I guess fundamentally, I whole heartedly agree with the 3RB concept. Its actually a pretty good idea IMO, If the paper ever started shooting back, I may have a tendency to be much less conservative with my ammo.

Will I buy a kit for my RR? Nope.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Outfits like Pallidin Press, Omega Press, Delta Press and AMOK have all sorts of books on this stuff. Remember, these books are for informational purposes only and all NFA rules apply.

You could also Google "DIAS AR15."

Good luck and watch your cornhole!

Legal FA fun and expensive. Illegal FA is no fun and still expensive. If you think $16,000 is expensive for legal FA, keep in mind that a good NFA attorney will run you about $250 an hour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12