Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

Feedback Score

Water works!

I've been researching this topic as one of my ARs is chambered in 5.45 x 39 and I get Russian surplus ammo for like 25 cents a round. I try not to shoot corrosive ammo but sometimes that's what I get. I always completely tear down and clean my gun after each use. Water works! I simply pop the two roll pins on my AR and take the upper/lower apart, remove the carrier and charging handle. I take the cap from my M7PRO cleaner bottle and put it over the muzzle and take steaming hot water and pour it with a funnel into my chamber and let it stand for a few seconds, flush, repeat etc.. and it clears a lot more gunk out of my gun than if I just shoot M7 or similar cleaner down the barrel. After the water, I blow some air through to dry, run a few dry patches through, then clean with a light bore brush, some M7 cleaner on patches and finish with a touch of lube on a patch and my barrel is clean and bright and after thousands of rounds still fires reliably and no signs of any rust or corrosion.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just use boiling water on my 74. Havent had an issue. Follow the water up with a few patches, then patches of CLP, brake clean the trigger group and I'm done.

Feedback Score

Re: How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

You CLEAN it?!!?

Rootbrain

Feedback Score

Re: How I clean my S&W 5.45 AR15

You CLEAN it??!

Rootbrain

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
    You CLEAN it?!!?

Rootbrain
    Corrosive ammo.

Feedback Score

Anyone know where to find 5.45x39 bolts for an AR?

I've looked everywhere and got nothing. Anyone know where I can find a 5.45x39 bolt for an AR?

Feedback Score
    I haven't tried hot water but first heard about it for cleaning rifles in the 1980s during Army basic training. We weren't allowed to use it, just Breakfree CLP (modern formulation sure smells different than I remember).

My S&W M&P 15x has 5k rounds through it. All I've used on it is Breakfree CLP, automatic transmission fluid, and synthetic motor oil. I do shoot some corrosive ammo. I don't know how well my cleaning compounds of choice are doing against the corrosive residue. I don't know how long my barrel will last; at my current rate of .223 ammo consumption, it will hit 10k in about four more years.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW 'hot' washing muzzleloaders causes some minor to serious 'flash rusting'. I clean all my BP toys w/ room temperature water, followed up by a Ballistol patch or 2, but will use Birchwood Casey's 'Barricade' for longer-term storage. No hot water EVER touches my BP arms and some of my flintlocks are worth more than custom build ARs posted here.

On any of centerfires w/ corrosive-primed ammo, I just use the Ballistol. Heck, it was invented for the German Army for use in their military arms when all there was was corrosive ammo.

Feedback Score
    I have a 74 with over 18K rounds of corrosive ammo through it have a few other 74's with about 5-8K rounds through them. Hot water and bore snake. Toothbrush the comp and gas tube.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-02-15 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    Yep, like others have said. Water works great.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast