Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Best SHTF AR15/M4 Platform for Durability/Reliability and what spare parts?

Feedback Score
    Hey there.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

I will be purchasing some PMAGS and/or Lancer L5s depending on price. The DEET issue with the mags isn't a huge problem for me. The DEET free stuff works well down here in the mosquito rich environment. I do value and understand the important of versatility - and I might purchase about 10-15 USGI mags as well.

Secondly, I got a great deal on the PMC XTac 62gr 5.56 - I think if there are no issues I will go ahead and buy another 3-4K rounds of this and load up the 50 cal tins with it.

As far as the sling goes, I will definitely be getting the BFG VCAS 2 point sling.

I am ordering the Colt 6920 from G&R with all the goodies...

a complete list of my order is below:

Colt 6920
    w/
    Handguard = Daniel Defense 7.0 Omega
    Stock = Magpul MOE BLK
    Charging Handle = BCM GunFighter MOD5
    Receiver Plate = Noveske QD
    Grips = Magpul MOE (BLK)
    Optics = Aimpoint PRO
    BUIS = Magpul MBUS rear sights

am I missing anything?

thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 packs of XTM rail panels

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good idea to keep it simple, buy lots of ammo and use it a lot before tweaking it any more. Where have I heard that before...

I would get mostly the USGI mags to start with as they are the baseline and proven good, but would also get a couple of Pmags to try out. I have lots of both but could live with just one or other. And I would make some of them 20 rounders. The 20s are actually my favorite most of the time as they are less obtrusive and have plenty of capacity for practice and SD. I use the 30s for less frequent practice and as backup. I don't foresee myself getting into running gun battles, so a couple of 20 round mags should handle 99% of SD situations. I have a lot of 30s in reserve.

Maybe get something like 6 USGI 20-rd and 10 USGI 30-round mags, and then a couple each of 20-rd PMags and 30-rd PMags. Plus you have your Lancers. See what you like and go from there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I call b.s. on this one. Carbon on the female part of the bolt does NOT cause stoppages. This is an old sergeant's tale and chances are something else caused your stoppage, and it "fixed" itself somewhere along the line of you tearing it down and spraying Breakfree on it.
    @120mm: To be more specific, the bolt assembly contains the female portion of the bolt carrier that the male bolt fits inside of. Both the deepest portion of the female part of the bolt carrier, and the tip of the male bolt that fits inside it, eventually becomes crudded up with hardened carbon if shot dry and not cleaned properly. Eventually the male bolt will bind or stick inside the female bolt carrier due to excessive carbon build-up and will cause malfunctions.

This was 30 years ago and it was my fault for not cleaning the bolt assembly properly, a mistake that I've never made again. Plus, I have since run my AR's wet which likewise lessens the potential problem.
    Last edited by SIMBA-LEE; 09-03-11 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington View Post
    Hey there.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

I will be purchasing some PMAGS and/or Lancer L5s depending on price. The DEET issue with the mags isn't a huge problem for me. The DEET free stuff works well down here in the mosquito rich environment. I do value and understand the important of versatility - and I might purchase about 10-15 USGI mags as well.

Secondly, I got a great deal on the PMC XTac 62gr 5.56 - I think if there are no issues I will go ahead and buy another 3-4K rounds of this and load up the 50 cal tins with it.

As far as the sling goes, I will definitely be getting the BFG VCAS 2 point sling.

I am ordering the Colt 6920 from G&R with all the goodies...

a complete list of my order is below:

Colt 6920
    w/
    Handguard = Daniel Defense 7.0 Omega
    Stock = Magpul MOE BLK
    Charging Handle = BCM GunFighter MOD5
    Receiver Plate = Noveske QD
    Grips = Magpul MOE (BLK)
    Optics = Aimpoint PRO
    BUIS = Magpul MBUS rear sights

am I missing anything?

thanks!
    Washington,

Great Choice! Now just shoot and enjoy your new colt.

Feedback Score
    @ WASHINGTON

I've been through 3 major ghetto riots as a street cop and the worst one only lasted 5 days. So the chance of needing enough guns, ammo, spare parts, etc., to outfit a military squad for long term warfare is very slim. One quality flat-top AR with Aimpoint PRO optic, 20+ mags and 3k of ammo should be more than sufficient to get you through any likely civilian self-defense scenario. In my experience as soon as rioters/criminals are fired on by a good shot with a hi-cap semi-auto rifle they quickly go somewhere else.

What is more likely to be needed regardless of the disaster situation is 3+ months of freeze dried food, at least six 8 gallon water jugs ($8 @ Walmart), a water purifier, clorox for water purification, meds, candles, portable stove, fire starter, tent, etc.

Think of Katrina or the LA riots and you will get the idea. Very few large scale gun battles took place, but thousands were without food, water or shelter.
    Last edited by SIMBA-LEE; 09-03-11 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Who is going to be worried about a barrel in a SHTF situation? I know I won't . Especially since I know that a good barrel will probably outlive me and thousands of others in a real EOTWS.
    Hey, I didn't say you'd need a replacement or anything. I just meant that it's the most scare part.

I get what you mean, and agree.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    I'd suggest selling all but your Match Target, and investing that money in a KAC SR-15 E3 and an ample supply of magazines. A good sling is the only necessary addition. Leave optics for after you learn you use the irons.
    From there, purchase as much ammo as you can afford. I'd suggest you start off at Appleseed and polish off shooting accurately, then go to your whiz-bang tactical course of choice to learn to shoot accurately (except faster). Learn how to maintain the weapon, understand it's inner workings.

Now, if the SR-15 is out of your price range, buy a BCM 20" A4 or a BCM 14.5" mid-length. I mention the 20" because the original gas system's length is regarded by some to be easier on parts than any of the other gas system lengths (this is my personal experience, YMMV). The 14.5" mid-length is also very easy on parts.

You don't necessarily need to get a free-float fore-end on the rifle right off the bat. For Appleseed and your carbine course of choice, it will be plenty accurate. If you do decide to float the barrel, I'd recommend one of the modular float tubes out there. Troy's Alpha rail and TRX-extreme rail, Midwest industries' SS rails, Daniel Defense's MFR, Samson Evolution, etc. all offer light weight and customization.

You may want to consider adding a light to your rifle, to start off it really isn't required though. I'd suggest getting a quality light down the road, always carry extra batteries for the rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfgk14 View Post
    You may want to consider adding a light to your rifle, to start off it really isn't required though. I'd suggest getting a quality light down the road, always carry extra batteries for the rifle.
    I disagree. A carbine is first and foremost a defensive weapon, and therefor MUST have a means of target identification in low light.

Lights are the first thing you should put on the weapon. Sling second. Optic third. All else in whatever order makes you happy.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011