Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best SHTF AR15/M4 Platform for Durability/Reliability and what spare parts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldnt buy the 6940. While it is a very good rifle, you are stuck with the features it has due to the monolithic upper. Like Rob S said, it also uses proprietary parts.

The BCM is a fantastic rifle. I would get that with the Aimpoint PRO and be done with it.

If you plan on getting a 7.62x39 weapon look no further than Arsenal AK rifles. They cost more than many of the lower grade, ie WASR, rifles but that is because they are properly made. Not only that but the base Saiga rifle is actually Russian.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The best spare is a second rifle. Buy two of each of these:
    Colt 6920 (or 6720, my preference)
    Aimpoint PRO
    Midwest Industries FSB mount
    Surefire X300
    Blue Force Gear Victory 2-point sling
    Troy folding rear sight
    24 NHMTG magazines
    2k rounds XM193

Attend training with quality, nationally known, instructors. I would begin with Randy Cain. upon return continue to practice what you learned. Change parts as needed to identify shortcomings in the platform provided you are not attempting to circumvent learning with equipment.
    So you run the PRO? I just picked up a 6920 and have been debating on getting one with an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier. How do you like it?
    "Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The colt 6920 is a good choice, along with DD, BCM, LMT, Noveske, and Knights Armament.

The rifles you already have may be good for plinking every now and then, but I would sell the Sig, Bushmaster, RRA, OA, and Armalite. With the money you get from those you can invest in a nice AR and will have money left over. I would keep the Colt match target though.

The 6940 is ok, but it wouldn't be my first choice for my go-to gun. As others have stated, it has proprietary parts that can be a pain in the ass to repair. Also, you are stuck with the 7" handguard they give you so if you find something better that fits you more, you wouldn't be able to change it out.

There are many knowledgable people here who know everything there is to know about these rifles and will steer you in the right direction.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfkudla View Post
    So you run the PRO? I just picked up a 6920 and have been debating on getting one with an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier. How do you like it?

My friend recently got the PRO. I believe it's the best thing going in optics right now.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I am probably going to be the outlier here... I have odd tastes.

To me, the perfect SHTF rifle would be stock in as many ways as possible for compatibility of parts. No monolithic uppers, etc.

I am fond of a 20" barrel, with a 16" gas system for a SHTF rifle because of the relatively low operating pressure. It is widely known and documented that the full-length rifles don't wear parts as rapidly as a carbine, especially a carbine gas system with the 16" barrel and it's extra dwell time. Extraction issues seem to be less with the rifles, too. For this reason, I choose a 20" barrel. (Being that this is, after all, M4Carbine.net, I'm sure many will disagree.)

A stock is a tough spot for me. Telescoping stocks are very comfortable, and I love shooting with them. But, the ability to keep cleaning gear, spare parts, batteries, etc. in the A2 stock shouldn't be ignored. I personally choose the A2 stock, since I am of sufficient stature to handle it. However, for the smaller in nature, I'd consider the MagPul ACS to be a great alternative.

A flat top is obvious. Nothing else is quite as versatile. For an optic, I love the TA31F-G ACOG. No batteries. You get 4x magnification for identifying targets are intermediate range, and can engage more precisely. It's also incredibly rugged. As a back up iron sight, I have a Daniel Defense A1 style. I don't keep it on the rifle since ACOGs don't cowitness, and I don't have a railed forearm to stick it on the side of because I like to save on weight and bulk.

As far as stocking spare parts... a bolt group, gas key and fasteners. In addition to the bolt group, extra gas rings and extractor + springs/inserts/pin. A firing pin and the retaining pin.
    On spare parts, though... remember, your rifle is at this very moment only one pull of the trigger away from catastrophic failure. Whether they're your personal handloads, or factory ammunition... sometimes things happen. An over-charge, a mix-up of powder, a squib.... any of these can very quickly result in spare parts being a moot point.
    The best spare part is a spare rifle.

A stock magazine pouch isn't a bad idea... extra ammo on the rifle. I find them burdensome, though, and don't use one.

A good sling is a must. The VTAC is nice.

As is obvious, my set up is not the right thing for everyone... not even the best setup for most. It's a configuration that I like, though, and I'm comfortable with it. I feel like I can depend upon it now... but also down the road for a long time.

As far as brand goes, others have listed plenty of good options. I went with a fairly mid-range brand, and swapped out some of the parts to get it to the level of quality I am happy with. I keep the old parts as spares.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfkudla View Post
    I actually have the C3, but think the PRO is the better buy now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Mr. Washington,

I'm not sure what to make of your post. However, let me add this. Sell all of that trash that you have and invest the money in a good Colt, DD, LMT or BCM carbine.

Then spend some of the money and get some mags, ammo and seek out training. I don't mean bubba down the street or someone teaching in their backyard, but rather someone who will push you and the weapon.

This sounds like good advice.
    BE AN ORGAN DONOR.
    You can give the gift of life to as many as 50 people!
    It takes less than 3 minutes to register.
    Go to: http://donatelife.net/register-now/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington View Post
    Bushmaster Carbon 15 (Surprisingly very good)
    Olympic Arms GI-16 (low end plinker)
    Sig 556 SWAT (Very disappointed in this one)
    Colt Match/Target AR-15
    Rock River Arms Tactical Entry
    Armalite LEC15 Flat Top
    Preface: All my statements are personal opinion and in no way EXPERT advice!

Of those you listed I would only consider one worth while (My opinion) and that is the colt.

For a SHTF carbine I would stick to...
    Colt
    Daniel Defense
    Bravo Company
    Noveske

There may be other acceptible makes but I stick to these. I prefer the 14.5" midlength configuration with a fixed front sight and robust rear BUIS (Like Larue), this offers portability and pretty good ballistics. For optics I would stick to either an Aimpoint RDS or Trijicon ACOG if you want some magnification. Both are used every day in the military and are proven to work. The Aimpoint has by far the best battery life of any RDS optic period (around a year left constant on and years on standby). Reality is that with the available optics you dont NEED BUIS but if its a SHTF carbine that would be something to consider. Invest in a Dozen or more Pmags and lots of quality ammo.

My personal SHTF carbine is a 14.5" Daniel Defense upper, with a 9" DD Lite rail, fixed front sight, BCM Gunfighter CH, and pinned FH. On a DD Lower with an ASAP plate, BAD lever, JP Tactical Trigger, Ambi selector switch, and Magpul furnature. My optic is an Aimpoint M3 in a Bobro mount. The entire gun is KG Guncoated in Flat Dark Earth.

Good Luck,

JP
    Last edited by jp0319; 08-30-11 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    Hey there.

Thanks guys for the further replies.

Here are the two rifles I have configured now on G&R - which would be preferred?

Colt SP 6920 $990.00 $990.00
    Additional Shipping ($7.00)
    Handguards is Daniel Defense 7.0 Omega $220.00
    Stocks is Magpul MOE BLK $32.00 $32.00
    Charging Handles is BCM GunFighter MOD 5 $34.00
    Receiver Plates is Magpul ASAP $40.00 $40.00
    Subtotal: $1316.00

BCM 16" Mid-Length Rifle $983.00 $983.00
    Additional Shipping ($13.00)
    Bullet Button (CA LEGAL) is None
    Handguards is DD 9.0 Omega $284.00 $284.00
    Grip is Magpul MOE (Black) $19.00 $19.00
    Stock is Magpul MOE (BLK) $50.00 $50.00
    Flash Suppressor/MB is A2
    Rear Sight is Magpul MBUS BLK $55.00 $55.00
    Subtotal: $1391.00

The link for what the BCM comes with is here:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...&key=MID-750-C

The link for what the COLT comes with is here:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920

So far I haven't got any feedback on the Lancer L5 translucent mags (new design w/ black followers). Anyone have any insight if these are good or if I should just stick to pmag? I already have a bunch of L5's.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Some of your thoughts are little off, but if it works for you then I am not going to rain on your parade.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    I am probably going to be the outlier here... I have odd tastes.

To me, the perfect SHTF rifle would be stock in as many ways as possible for compatibility of parts. No monolithic uppers, etc.

I am fond of a 20" barrel, with a 16" gas system for a SHTF rifle because of the relatively low operating pressure. It is widely known and documented that the full-length rifles don't wear parts as rapidly as a carbine, especially a carbine gas system with the 16" barrel and it's extra dwell time. Extraction issues seem to be less with the rifles, too. For this reason, I choose a 20" barrel. (Being that this is, after all, M4Carbine.net, I'm sure many will disagree.)

A stock is a tough spot for me. Telescoping stocks are very comfortable, and I love shooting with them. But, the ability to keep cleaning gear, spare parts, batteries, etc. in the A2 stock shouldn't be ignored. I personally choose the A2 stock, since I am of sufficient stature to handle it. However, for the smaller in nature, I'd consider the MagPul ACS to be a great alternative.

A flat top is obvious. Nothing else is quite as versatile. For an optic, I love the TA31F-G ACOG. No batteries. You get 4x magnification for identifying targets are intermediate range, and can engage more precisely. It's also incredibly rugged. As a back up iron sight, I have a Daniel Defense A1 style. I don't keep it on the rifle since ACOGs don't cowitness, and I don't have a railed forearm to stick it on the side of because I like to save on weight and bulk.

As far as stocking spare parts... a bolt group, gas key and fasteners. In addition to the bolt group, extra gas rings and extractor + springs/inserts/pin. A firing pin and the retaining pin.
    On spare parts, though... remember, your rifle is at this very moment only one pull of the trigger away from catastrophic failure. Whether they're your personal handloads, or factory ammunition... sometimes things happen. An over-charge, a mix-up of powder, a squib.... any of these can very quickly result in spare parts being a moot point.
    The best spare part is a spare rifle.

A stock magazine pouch isn't a bad idea... extra ammo on the rifle. I find them burdensome, though, and don't use one.

A good sling is a must. The VTAC is nice.

As is obvious, my set up is not the right thing for everyone... not even the best setup for most. It's a configuration that I like, though, and I'm comfortable with it. I feel like I can depend upon it now... but also down the road for a long time.

As far as brand goes, others have listed plenty of good options. I went with a fairly mid-range brand, and swapped out some of the parts to get it to the level of quality I am happy with. I keep the old parts as spares.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast