Thread: POA/POI with 50 and 70 g TSX

Feedback Score

POA/POI with 50 and 70 g TSX

In my urban environment on Staten Island, I want to be able to hit head-size targets out to about 150 yards and with this in mind I went to range this weekend and zeroed 16" BCM with .223 ASYM 70g TSX rounds at 50 yards. Wanted to see if could meet my objectives with either 50 or 70g rounds without changing zero or POA.

After satisfied with the zero (four MOA Aimpoint RDS), loaded 5.56 Black Hills 50 grain TSXs to see difference.

At 100 yards, was easily able to keep rounds inside a 5" target from standing and kneeling positions.

In order to confirm to myself that it will do what I want, I had my targets of choice, 2 liter, water-filled soda bottles spread out from 100-150 yards. Only missed one bottle out of 20 and a second round quickly put an end to it's useful life. This was 10 with each round.

I'm sure it becomes an increasingly different issue past 150 yards and I hope to see by how much next time out although "my" range only goes to 200 yards.

Is that an expected result inside of 150 yards? Does different ammunition only become a factor when shooting out past 200+?
    Last edited by rocsteady; 11-06-12 at 11:31.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    In my urban environment on Staten Island, I want to be able to hit head-size targets out to about 150 yards and with this in mind I went to range this weekend and zeroed 16" BCM with .223 ASYM 70g TSX rounds at 50 yards. Wanted to see if could meet my objectives with either 50 or 70g rounds without changing zero or POA.

After satisfied with the zero (four MOA Aimpoint RDS), loaded 5.56 Black Hills 50 grain TSXs to see difference.

At 100 yards, was easily able to keep rounds inside a 5" target from standing and kneeling positions.

In order to confirm to myself that it will do what I want, I had my targets of chioce, 2 liter, water-filled soda bottles spread out from 100-150 yards. Only missed one bottle out of 20 and a second round quickly put an end to it's useful life. This was 10 with each round.

I'm sure it becomes an increasingly different issue past 150 yards and I hope to see by how much next time out although "my" range only goes to 200 yards.

Is that an expected result inside of 150 yards? Does different ammunition only become a factor when shooting out past 200+?
    Each and every variable you have listed above is unique, and there are no hard/fast rules. Your results are worthless to anyone but you, and theirs to you.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have had the POI of the 50gr TSX 2-3" higher than my 75-77gr loads. No surprise for me since a hot, much lighter bullet does things a little different. This was in my guns from the bench. Groups run around 2-3MOA. Shooting free-hand, my groups suck too much to notice any difference past 50 yards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    POI deviations between loads for the majority of shooters will be within their normal range of error. I.e a 2 MOA deviation won't matter much to a 10 MOA shooter. Deliberate range work can find combinations of loads that will work well together on a single zero. Shooters could also average zeroes between loads they use.

You have to decide what margins are acceptable. I can take any rifle and ammo combination in the armory, and hit the scorable area on humanoid targets to 100yds and beyond. That will work for most folks.

Best accuracy, best zero, best shooter performance are ideal, but people spend a lot of time chasing their tails when they should be just running the gun.

Re the BHA 50 TSX... Great load. They run a little high for me too. I would rezero a gun running them as a dedicated defense load, but otherwise just be mindful of their trajectory if they were a back-up or contingency load.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-06-12 at 11:29.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    70 grain swift shoots lower in my carbine than 60ish grain anything. I don't trust the zero with the 62 fusion i am using now to be adequate with the 70 swift scirocco i am developing a load for.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." Ronald Regan

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Im my mrp with my hand loads the 70g ttsx 55g fmj fly to exact same poi out to 200 m. 55g fmj might not do what you want like ttsx will though.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    My apologies the swifts are 75's
    "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." Ronald Regan