Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to expect when hit while wearing soft/hard armor

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What to expect when hit while wearing soft/hard armor

Hope this is the right forum for this topic.
    What effects might one experience when hit in the chest/torso while wearing soft armor, plates with backers or just plates?
    As a civilian, all I know is from the movies.... Fall down, play dead, get up after the BG is gone and rip the armor off and check for flesh holes. I expect this will not be the case.
    Anyone ever been saved by armor? I guess one would encounter broken/bruised ribs, collarbone injuries, loss of breath (solar plexus) and some other injuries that don't come to mind right now.
    What damages can someone expect from a 9mm JHP shot from 5-15 feet away while wearing soft armor? Soft/plates? How about FMJ's?. Other calibers?
    "After extensive research, I picked this rifle because it came with bullets"

Feedback Score
    I believe I've read Doc say that the service calibers have similar energy as a fast pitch soft ball. As I recall it came up in a discussion about stopping power, and how when a person is shot, it does -not- knock them off their feet like you see in the old westerns.

That said, assuming there is no penetration, I think you'd know you got hit, but there should be no tissue/bone damage.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _rab_ View Post
    I believe I've read Doc say that the service calibers have similar energy as a fast pitch soft ball. As I recall it came up in a discussion about stopping power, and how when a person is shot, it does -not- knock them off their feet like you see in the old westerns.

That said, assuming there is no penetration, I think you'd know you got hit, but there should be no tissue/bone damage.
    Yep. Soldiers hit by 7.62x54R on their hard plates in the field have not been knocked down. In fact, the hit was similar to someone poking you in the chest in terms of "knock down" force.

With soft armor, the effect is a little more pronounced due to the blunt trauma and pain. You can expect broken ribs and a severe hicky. The person isn't "knocked down", the pain can cause a person to voluntarily fall down though. However, if the pain can be removed from the equation through drugs, adrenaline, or just will power then there is virtually no knock down effect. If a 7.62x54R which is the equivalent of a .30-06 will not knock someone down, then a pistol caliber certainly won't unless the person voluntarily falls down.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    I have never taken a round, but have heard that armor or not, mental toughness and will to live/fight have a lot to do with what you feel and do at the moment.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here ya go....I love this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd9-hreCYz8

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    In theory a hit over the heart area while wearing soft armor could be enough blunt force trauma to injure/stop the heart. This is why soft armor will have a separate trauma plate.

I have never been shot while wearing a vest (soft armor). I am aware of a few Officers I have know of over the years who have taken rounds to their soft armor. The resulting effect on the officer was in one of two ways, depending on the mental state of mind of the individual struck. It either took them out of the fight (mentally), or it severely pissed them off, and they ended the suspects hostile actions.

After the adrenaline wore off, there was bruising in the area struck.

I can't comment about armor with plates, as I have no experience with them.

I can comment on the importance of developing the proper mindset. In the end, you are the weapon. Your gun, your armor, ect. are just tools.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-06-11 at 16:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Second Chance used to have a video with tons of survivor debriefs, many of those had no idea they were shot until afterwards.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I was shot at point blank range (about 8-10 feet) by someone armed with a .45 caliber Colt 1911. I was wearing an ABA level IIIA vest with a Spectrashield insert.

It basically felt like I was struck in the chest with a bat. The bruising afterwards was about 6 inches in diameter and was sore for about 7-10 days.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ^^Ouch, care to share anymore back story on that^^ I assume this wasn't on purpose. If it wasn't on purpose I bet you got mad as hell.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's a link to that second chance video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhyETXW1u0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast