Thread: Just picked up a Gibbs 1903A4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Just picked up a Gibbs 1903A4

I just picked up a Gibbs 03A4 from Aimsurplus and I thought I would share some thoughts.

First impressions:
    This is a very nicely put together package. As you are probably aware, the rifle comes with a hard case, a "GI" bag and a leather 1907 sling. Fit and finish is excellent. My receiver has a few minor pits near the mag cut off, but otherwise, the metal is in great shape with a very nice repark.

The receiver is stamped REM-03A4 and the serial # is 40117XX. The bolt is also stamped "R" which I assume is fer Remington?

Scope and mount:
    Are rock solid! The mount is marked Gibbs Rifle, Martinsburg WV. the scope was the biggest surprise, I had set my expectations low, this being a remake afterall. The scope has bright clear glass and out of the box, I was on paper at 100 yards. The turretts have a nice feel and make nice positive clicks. Adjustment was easily made and this rifle was one of the easiest to zero that I have ever had. Eye relief is excellent and again I was surprised how useable this scope is. I was expecting this to be a bit of a show piece rather than a seriously accurate scope.

Overall, I am thrilled with this rifle.

My reasons for purchase:
    1) I will never spend the $ for a real one
    2) Even if I did buy a real one, It would never leave the safe
    3) I wanted a shooter
    4) I think the 03A4 is one of the best looking rifles of all time
    5) I was satisfied enough with Gibbs claims about drill receivers

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would love to know how well it groups.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had the best 3 round group of my life with this rifle. 3 shots that would have fit behind a quarter....maybe beginners luck, can't wait to try again this weekend.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Pretty good shooting. How about for a 5rd group? What range were you shooting at?

Feedback Score
    Beautiful rifle. Original or not, I love seeing them. Incredible piece of history and I'm glad there are companies making them yet today.

Thanks for sharing!

I'd love a detailed range report, and maybe a box test on the scope.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Congrats on a very nice rifle!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    That's pretty cool and I agree about the looks. How's it shoot? What's the glass like?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Pretty good shooting. How about for a 5rd group? What range were you shooting at?
    I was at 100 yards....I willmpost up some pics of todays outing if the weather holds.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuckeye View Post
    I was at 100 yards....I willmpost up some pics of todays outing if the weather holds.

BigBuckeye - did you ever get your Gibbs back out to the range? Very interested in your results.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry, I just realized that I never posted the pics... This is now one of my favorite rifles, I am shooting 5" groups at 100 yards which is pretty good for me. I have a new lead sled DFT that I can't wait to try it in, I think the groups will improve dramatically.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuckeye View Post
    Sorry, I just realized that I never posted the pics... This is now one of my favorite rifles, I am shooting 5" groups at 100 yards which is pretty good for me. I have a new lead sled DFT that I can't wait to try it in, I think the groups will improve dramatically.
    Lead sleds are a waste of time. You are going to get a zero you will not be able to duplicate with out the sled. You need free recoil
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    As far as the parts go..The "R" stands for Remington..During the war they were quite anal about putting a "R" on all the parts.Look it over carefully, the bolt body,saftey lever cocking peice,extractor(marked on the inside) mag cut off lever, sear, trigger front barrel band,(rear barrel band is usually marked on the swivel) sling swivels would have all been marked with a small "R" on it..The stamped triggerguard on yours looks like it is a Rem part..The way you can tell is by looking at the area around the holes for the screws..Basically, if the line below the screw is straight, it's a Rem. part, if those lines below the screw holes curved upwards towards the screws, That would be a Smith -Corona part..
    Last edited by ralph; 03-16-12 at 07:00.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have been eying this very rifle for a while now. I almost bought one a month ago but decided to hold off for a bit.

Please keep us updated on your experiences with it and thanks for sharing.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had one of these at the FNRA auction over the weekend. Seemed like a cool rifle, but would just be another curio in the safe for me, and I have no budget for that.