Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about painting the bolt on my rifle

Feedback Score

Question about painting the bolt on my rifle

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question if not please move it to where it belongs. I've painted almost the entire bolt action rifle except the bolt. If I paint it would I have friction problems? Most painted rifles I've seen on this forum are ARs.
    Thank you

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin
    Last edited by g-men10455; 03-15-12 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by g-men10455 View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this question if not please move it to where it belongs. I've painted almost the entire bolt action rifle except the bolt. If I paint it would I have friction problems? Most painted rifles I've seen on this forum are ARs.
    Thank you

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin
    Dont paint the bolt face or rear of the lugs. Other than that spray away. I dought your action tolerences are tight enough to for this to cause an issue. What are you going to use to paint with?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Aluma-Hyde II.

"Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy"- Alexander Hamilton

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Can I ask a silly question? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by g-men10455 View Post
    Thank you

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you want the custom look just jewel it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I painted my Rem 700. The Bolt was also painted.

It never hurt it, I oiled it anyways and it makes it NOT sticky, the paint will come off where it makes contact
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mallowpufft View Post
    If you want the custom look just jewel it.
    Bedazzle!!!

Feedback Score
    Both of my Surgeon bolts, and my Bighorn bolt are all painted. Paint away, but avoid painting contact areas (lugs, cocking ramp,etc...). It's really no matter, if you shoot enough, the paint will be gone from the wear points in no time...including some high dollar stuff like cerakote or gunkote. If your going to use Krylon, and expect it to stay, don't even bother with it.

Feedback Score
    Mine are cerakoted and I do not have any issues with wearing of the paint and I am shooting 2 -3 times a week. Depending on the paint you use, you are going to have this issue i.e. paint will were due to friction.

Everything on my bolt is cerakoted and I have no problems.

The paint that I have was baked on, I have read that this makes a difference in the durability of the paint.
    Last edited by The Surgeon; 03-18-12 at 17:05.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Me personally wouldn't rattle can it. I would send it to get professionally coated if anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast