Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member first build.

Feedback Score
    My father and I are just getting into the Ar scene. He's retired police and I had 7 years Army. Recently I purchased the Bushmaster "patrolman's" carbine. SInce I bought it I've added KAC nonfloating front handgaurd rails w/covers and verticle grip. Inside the stock pistolgrip I've installed the O.T.I.S. Storage for a cleaning kit. I picked up the UTG travel case. I'm looking into the Aimpoint CompM3 red dot site and a different pistol grip but I haven't descided on one yet.

I also want to add on a flashlight attachment but the one I liked is built into a verticle grip that is to big to comfortably fit into my hand. The Travel case also has a pistol holster as shown and that is my Glock 22 40S&W with it.

Any recommendations or criticisms would be appreciated.

Yeah I keep mine oiled, it just makes t easier to clean. I want to get the CompM3 sites beacuse after I hunted around and found a great deal on the KAC rails and extras ($150 all inclusive) my dad got some for free from my step sisters husband, I figure here beat this!

I was Eyeballing a verticle grip that has the Flashlight mounting built in with trigger to activate the beam and I was wondering if anybody has played with that one because it is only $80 and then you could get a $50 light instead of going for the $300+ pressure plate assembly style.

what is your guys list of top ten upgrades for under $100. They don't have to total under $100 just each one under. Thanks

S o now I'm looking at posssibly getting a new trigger and this enidine
    ar-restor replacement for the buffer. I'm not sure if I want to go with the two stage trigger or just a smother single stage trigger. Also the wife has decided to join in so I'm either getting the MI#30 sling mount with CQD 2/1 point sling or the Daniels tactical rail light mount with the surefire G2 led, for christmas. Sadly the Aimpoint is put on hold.

Ok I might have been wrong on the AImpoint, My wife did get me it for christmas, along with the sling and mount, The light mount is on the way and the G2 LED is waiting at the store. Ohh and the AR restor is inbound also. I don't know yet if I need to get the flat top upper receiver to replace mine with the fixed carrying handle. Forgot, the wife also hooked up the extractor spring as a stocking stuffer. I will include more pics as soon as everything arrives.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Heres the images I've been promising

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

got it hooked up. Thanks for the help.

The Ar-Restore is a great purchase! Between it and the Aimpoint I really never leave the target picture between shots!

I was wondering what everyone thought? Nobody mentioned anything after the new pictures. Do I need to repost all the upgrades that I've added on?

Thanks for the observation the glock. I was having a problem with it also. My prolem wasn't with the grip moving, it has been on for years, every since my father put it on when it was his service arm. My difficulty lies with the size of it. I have small hands and am having a problem griping comfortably. The skate tape is a great idea. My father wants to work with me a little on my grip before make any choices. I should have made a decision by mid june.
    Overall thanks for the comments, I appreciate the feedback. If anyone is interested I have more pictures of my whole collection on my blog site. http://shawarmory.blogspot.com/ you can post comments n my blogs if you have any feedback there too.

If I had to suggest one item as a must have, that would be it. Eliminates muzzel lift and recoil is significantly lesser. Target retention is amazing.

Right now I've got a spare Fireing pin and the upgrade to the rear sight controls but I didn't even think about upgrading the bolt carrier or any real internal configurations. Good ideas. Keep in mind though that the army hadn't gotten into the M4 era in the units I was stationed so alot of the terms used are outside of my vocabulary so I'll probably have to google have of your suggestions until I get caught up.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 02-29-08 at 05:07.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Good choice on rails. An Aimpoint M3 is an excellent optic. For grips I'd recommend either Magpul MIAD or a TangoDown Battle grip.

As far as the rifle if it were mine I'd upgrade the extractor with a BCM SOPMOD extractor kit, add a H buffer and restake the carrier key and castle nut. I'd also buy a spare BCM bolt (not carrier) to keep on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    Right now I've got a spare Fireing pin and the upgrade to the rear sight controls but I didn't even think about upgrading the bolt carrier or any real internal configurations. Good ideas. Keep in mind though that the army hadn't gotten into the M4 era in the units I was stationed so alot of the terms used are outside of my vocabulary so I'll probably have to google have of your suggestions until I get caught up.
    I would change out the aperatures in the rear sight to that of an A2, I don't like the rapidex windage knob myself. You carrier is probably fine but I'm 99% sure that it's not staked well this is something you can fix with a padded vise and a chisel and hammer or buy or have someone stake it for you with a MOACKS tool. You want to move metal from the carrier key into the screws.

You want to make it look something like this:

Also regardless of what they taught you in the Army lube that rifle up very well, when you're using it.......oil is cheap.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 02-29-08 at 05:08.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    As far as the grip goes, a lot of the guys here are running the mag pul grip. I am personally using the ergo grip and I love it much better than the stock one. For a flashlight and mount check out www.grtactical.com There is a member selling a ergo grip in the sales forum here is the link http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8576

Feedback Score

Talking ddemis

You are on the right road my friend and will soon have a rifle you can be proud of. A lot of guys on this thread gave you some good advice like bolt upgrade, extractor etc. Take the advice it will pay off later. When your done tricking that baby out send some pics!

Feedback Score

Talking ddemis

I know the vertical grip you refer to( command arms) and I have heard mixed reactions from a few shooters about it, squeezing the trigger by accident, large and bulky for small hands etc. Personally I like the Tango down vertical battle grip. It has storage for a spare bolt, parts, batteries and a built in spacer for a pressure switch with velcro attachment on the side. Command arms also has one that even holds a Surefire g-2 and operates via a built in pressure switch.And by the way they are all under a 100 bucks Just a few ideas for you, so many choices such little time.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Looks like a great 1st build.
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    Make sure that if you restake the carrier that you go in from the sides and not down from the top. I've seen people stake from the top and it invariably pushes metal out to the sides which will impede bolt travel. You can push the metal in and up but never out.
    The pictures show you how it should be done.

Feedback Score
    I can't get my images to upload. Do I need the HTTP, direct link, Email & IM, Image link.
    Use the IMG tags and just cut and paste the link. Otherwise you can use the Direct Link but you need to fist click icon then paste the Direct Link.

You should also be able to your existing post so you don't have to keep making new posts if you happen to make a mistake.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Looks good! So has the AR-Restor been trouble free? Does it make a noticable difference without causing reliability issues?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was wondering what everyone thought? Nobody mentioned anything after the new pictures. Do I need to repost all the upgrades that I've added on?
    Looks damn good to me.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast