Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build // Multicam Dipped

Feedback Score

First Build // Multicam Dipped

** updated pics on pg3 **

This was my first build and is my take on an SPR. Obviously the Aimpoint isn’t the intended glass, but until S&B releases the 1-8 Short Dot, it’ll have to do. I have an American Defense scope mount that was dipped just waiting for the S&B scope.

I put 40rds of 55gr and 20rds of 77gr through it to ensure it works properly at an indoor range. I hope to get to an outdoor range this month to zero the irons and Aimpoint. You will see in one of the photos that even a low round count is burning the finish around the gas block. There is also some wear from handling on the take down pins. Also, when installing the trigger and hammer pins they pushed some of the finish off around the hole. I’m not losing any sleep over this as the rifle was built to shoot/use, not display in a museum.

The dipper didn’t do the brake since he had seen it get burned off on other rifles he has done. Also, the receiver extension was sprayed in the base color, but not dipped to ensure the stock would move. Along the same thinking I asked him to dip just the portion of the charging handle that is visible. I didn’t have him dip the bbl nut as it’s completely hidden from view with the TRX and I didn’t want to affect the tolerances. I installed the ejection port door, mag catch, and bolt catch prior to dipping and it turned out fine. I installed the trigger after the dip.

I had a couple SF 6Z's and a Gear Sector mount dipped, but decided to use the X300 instead.

Now for what I learned from the dipping process:

- I had the gas block and tube mounted on the bbl when it was dipped. This created two problems. One, removing the gas block so I could install the bbl did remove some of the finish in front of it on the bbl. The other problem is that the water got in between and I had to remove some surface rust. I would recommend to anyone doing this, that if you want the bbl and gas block dipped, do them separately and just tape off the part of the bbl where the block will go. That said, as you see in the photos, much of this finish will burn off anyway so I would recommend not dipping the gas tube/block. Doing this over I would have the bbl coated in something like KG, Cerakote, etc.

- I had him dip a couple aluminum mags and a 30rd Pmag. The aluminum mags seem unaffected by the finish. The Pmag however will drop free on a closed bolt, but not if the bolt is locked back. If I ever get Pmags dipped in the future, I will have him tape off the area that is inside the magwell.

- The dipper didn’t tape off the front site post or the rear sight aperture. I will have to paint them black by hand, but it didn’t occur to me to mention that to him prior to the dip.

- Overall, I am very pleased with how the rifle turned out. Would I dip an entire rifle again? Not likely. If I did want to get a specific pattern, I would probably just have the furniture dipped (pistol grip, stock, handguards) and leave it at that.

Parts are as follows:
    - Noveske Upper/Lower
    - Lilja M4 Patrolman bbl, 1/8, 16.1”
    - PWS 556 Brake
    - Brownells Low Profile Gas Block
    - YHM Gas Tube
    - Troy TRX 15” Handguard
    - Troy VFG
    - Troy BUIS
    - MIAD Grip
    - Vltor Emod Stock Kit
    - Young Mfg Hard Chrome BCG
    - VTAC Padded Sling
    - Surefire X300
    - Tango Down Bipod
    - G&R Tactical LPK
    - Geissele SSA Trigger

Thanks for looking!

Attachment 9600

Attachment 9601

Attachment 9602

Attachment 9603
    Last edited by El Cid; 02-03-12 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man that looks so good. I need to find someone in Phoenix that'll dip one of my rifles...
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    Very NICE

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sweet rifle bro!

Keep us posted on how the dip holds up long term.

Also if you have access to a high power optic, some 10 shot groups would be awesome.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Nice rifle. What did it cost for the dipping?
    Co-Owner - Tier One Defense
    Custom Rifle Builders
    www.tieronedefense.com

LE Firearms Instructor
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Billick View Post
    Sweet rifle bro!

Keep us posted on how the dip holds up long term.

Also if you have access to a high power optic, some 10 shot groups would be awesome.
    Ditto:

I am considering having my last rifle dipped, so I'd like to know how it holds up.
    Winning may not be everything, but the endorsements are better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is definitely one nice looking rifle
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step...and a lot of bitching.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Holy kneeboarding Jesus thats nice!

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys! Sharkbite Custom did the work. He gave me a LE discount so I don't know his normal prices. Email Jerry off the website and he'll get back with you. He is very helpful and tries to make it perfect before it leaves his shop.

you have put together a very nice looking rifle.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast