Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there better than "Mil-Spec?"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone of being polite and respectful.

C4
    I agree, this might be one of the most civil discussions I've seen here in a while.

IMHO, "better than TDP" is completely subjective to the end user. One could argue that things like HF barrels, the Vltor MUR, KAC E3 bolt, etc are "better". The truth is they are just different. Personally, I would take any of those items over the standard, but that's a personal preference. It is also a matter of cost as well. Are you willing to pay a premium for those perceived improvements? Maybe or maybe not. If I may go a step further, someone could argue that KAC's process does not include HPT / MPI. Does that make their barrel & bolt inferior? KAC has made a reasonable argument that it does not. While I would prefer they did, I choose to use their product because it has been proven that their system is reliable and I've experienced it firsthand. I know they have exhaustively tested it and have good cause behind their methods. The primary reason I am willing to make an exception is because of their credibility and QC. The same logic applies to BCM, Noveske & LMT. They may not have access to the current TDP, but if they say that something they produce meets TDP, their track record (i.e. credibility) allows me to place trust in their statements. Other companies that make similar claims may not garner the same trust because of their prior track record & lack of credibility in my personal veiw.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Price is not the only factor. Companies like DPMS also do a lot of marketing and promotion. You can't watch a show on some of the outdoor channels witout seeing an ad for DPMS.
    And this is why their POS gun cost as much as a quality piece from LMT, Colt, BCM or DD.

Feedback Score
    For me personally, I have see BCM's documentation and what they do is legit and correct.

C4
    This is one of the primary reasons (and testimonials from people here) why I chose BCM over even Colt.

Thanks for the info.

I'm beginning to think BCM is one of the best-kept secrets in the AR world. (I'll stop drooling now, promise. )

Daniel Defense, LMT, Noveske, and other top tier makers are all right up there, too. I just don't know as much about them so I can't make any comment about them.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-09-11 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    This is one of the primary reasons (and testimonials from people here) why I chose BCM over even Colt.

Thanks for the info.

I'm beginning to think BCM is one of the best-kept secrets in the AR world. (I'll stop drooling now, promise. )

Daniel Defense, LMT, Noveske, and other top tier makers are all right up there, too. I just don't know as much about them so I can't make any comment about them.
    As I have stated in this thread and on the forum many, many times, Paul (owner of BCM) is one of the MOST honest and TRUSTWORTHY people I know. What he says he does and what he does is always correct.

My favorite saying is "Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is around." This would be Paul and BCM.

C4

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    So Noveske isn't doing anymore carbine gas CHF barrels in the 14.5 and 16 inch lengths , just mid-length ?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    So Noveske isn't doing anymore carbine gas CHF barrels in the 14.5 and 16 inch lengths , just mid-length ?
    No idea. Good question to ask them.

C4

Feedback Score
    Yes.

Let's talk for a second about proper port size. The TDP states that a 14.5 barrel with a carbine gas system has a port size of .063. Now when you add another 1.5 inches to that barrel, you have increased the dwell time/pressure so IMHO, the gas port size should NOW be .061.
    Grant... since Colt follows the TDP, do the 6920 and 6720 have a port size of .063 or .061? If it's .063, then to be "mil-spec" and run as they're designed, they should both ideally have 14.5" barrels, right? Or, did Colt make some other mods to the gun to make them "properly gassed" using the .063 port size?

What other factors go into a properly gassed carbine length system? Carrier weight? Buffer weight? What are these specs according to the TDP?

Also... do we know what port sizes BCM/DD/etc use on their 16" and 14.5" carbine gas barrels?

Again, thanks for this great thread. It's one of the best I've read on M4C.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris17404; 09-09-11 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Well, it I was a consumer and was thinking of buying from a company that JUST RECENTLY started listed everything they do as "Mil-Spec" for REALLY CHEAP PRICES, I would read this post and then ask them question from it: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=56063

I would also consider asking to see CURRENT documentation of testing, materials used, etc.

For me personally, I have see BCM's documentation and what they do is legit and correct.

C4
    As to the documents you have seen and posted in the aforementioned thread that is now closed. What was the last document in the sequence? There was no explanation for it.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Wow, this has been a very informative thread, it should definitely be stickied. Thank you for starting this Grant, and thank you to everyone who has contributed!

I'm not new to the AR platform but I've been out of the loop for a while. I decided to build a carbine to kill some time in the months before I leave for BCT and this forum has definitely given me the information that I need to build a quality piece of equipment. I've always read about BCM and now I know why they are better than the 'big name brands.' I'm looking forward to picking up my upper from them in a few weeks

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    As to the documents you have seen and posted in the aforementioned thread that is now closed. What was the last document in the sequence? There was no explanation for it.
    MPI Testing done on Bolts.

C4

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast