Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this grease decent enough for lube?

Feedback Score

Is this grease decent enough for lube?

Lucas Red 'N' Tacky

I know James Yeager has a video on using wheel bering grease for his AR and his glocks. I was just wondering what everyone thought of this guy. he sounds like he knows his shyt. i had a tube of this stuff and was wondering if grease is ok, would this stuff suffice? sorry if its in the wrong area.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    It may be a little thick.

Most of that stuff is NLGI #2. Pretty thick.

I like to use Lubriplate #105 engine assembly lube. I believe it's a NLGI #0. It looks and acts just like Tetra grease.

I've always thought that a 5% moly grease would be an excellent gun lube but it's black. And it stains everything.

Feedback Score
    In warm weather it would probably be okay. I shy away from grease because of the issues I've seen it cause in even moderately cold weather. 55 degrees and misting... AKM failed to feed every time. AR dealt with it a little better (warmer action?), the Beretta 92FS wasn't too happy... it worked, but you could feel the action had slowed considerably. 1911 had a few stove pipes.

Not that you asked... but I use Ballistol or Motor Oil anymore... never have had a problem with either one, and they're not very expensive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Grease is for your M14, not an M16/M4/AR15. Grease thickens when cold and retains fouling. It will usually work, but there are better choices.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    James Yeager is the last person I would ask for advice from on anything. Get a quality weapons lubricant and use it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    haha, i knew someone would speak up about james. i have mixed feeling about him too, but hes experienced so i took his advice into consideration. thats all. anyways. ill check out ballistol. how bout that gun butter? (another promotion of yeagers but i hear its pretty good)
    Hickok45 uses ballistol religiously if im not mistaken so maybe ill go that route!

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    So grease is a no go on the ar platform? I only ask because I just switched over to a brand called pro gold. Its thick enough to stay I place when applied but not like ball barring grease, I used Breakfree for a long time and switched to mpro7 before I went to this stuff, should I switch back or stay the course
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    ...OK, not going to say anything about him...ditch the grease anything else would be superior. You'll find thing in between the two extremes, but anything that viscous is asking for trouble, nvm how much synthetics might be in it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Why are we still trying to reinvent the wheel? There are many excellent threads reference lube and the AR system. I keep seeing cheap, inexpensive, buy in bulk. Why? You put $1000.00, $2000.00, even more in your weapon system and then won't put $10.00 in a bottle of Slip or your choice of good lube that will last for 5,000 rounds. That adds like $2.00 per 1000 rounds of ammo. To me that's a false economy.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Grease is for your M14, not an M16/M4/AR15.
    +1

I use 15w-50 for my AR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast