View Poll Results: Would you put a vltor a5 buffer system on your SHTF/go to fighting rifle?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

219 84.56%
  • No

40 15.44%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: vltor a5 buffer system on your shtf/fighting rifle?

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)

vltor a5 buffer system on your shtf/fighting rifle?

After reading through the "If you could only have 1 fighting rifle" thread and other "best SHTF AR15 build" threads, I only read of 2 members mention using the vltor a5 buffer system on their fighting rifle.

At the same time Ive read in other threads of members here praising the vltor a5 buffer system, saying it makes their rifle run a lot more smoothly and with less recoil.

Is the vltor a5 buffer system something thats more for a competition rifle, as opposed to a SHTF/go to fighting rifle? Or is it because of the proprietary parts that one would keep from using the vltor a5 buffer system on their go to fighting rifle?

Im currently building an SBR which is going to be my go to rifle, and Im wondering if I should go with the vltor a5 buffer system.

If you vote NO in the poll, could you also explain in the thread why you voted no.
    Last edited by snackgunner; 09-09-11 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think it's more of a matter of it being a relatively new product.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tend to think of the A5 stock system as a way to put a collapsible stock on a rifle. That the A5 also works as a band-aid for overgassed carbines is a bonus.
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do you have an upper that you think would be unreliable with a rifle stock? If not I would consider the A5 if you are building up a lower.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    No. Going to go with a DD upper with a 12.5" LW CHF barrel, with a BC 1.0 and a 10" DD lite rail.

And for those that vote no in the poll could you explain the thread why you voted no.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Anyone who would pick the carbean system over the A5 needs his head checked.

Any upper that won't run a Rifle buffer/A5 buffer isn't acceptable for goto/defensive/fighting gun duty. PERIOD.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I met someone at a range who was short stroking with a mid-length 16" with an A5 kit. I think he was shooting Wolf, but I'm not sure. I haven't had a chance to try mine out yet so I'm saying "no."

OP, idk if you've read it or not, but johnson has a thread at http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86690 explaining his 12.5" SBR with an A5 RE. He changed the buffer weight to 4.55oz and has had good results.

Feedback Score
    The only proprietary part with the A-5 is the extension tube. Spring and buffer are simply rifle parts. No worries there.

My carbine has had one for over 7000 rnds and it works as advertised. The schit has not yet hit the fan and I really try and avoid gunfights but I do consider that my go to carbine for doing carbine things.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by товарищ View Post
    I met someone at a range who was short stroking with a mid-length 16" with an A5 kit. I think he was shooting Wolf, but I'm not sure.
    That's the messed up thing. People will shoot bad ammo or 14.5 middies and BLAME THE BUFFER SYSTEM!!!

They just don't get it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Burns View Post
    The only proprietary part with the A-5 is the extension tube. Spring and buffer are simply rifle parts. No worries there.

My carbine has had one for over 7000 rnds and it works as advertised. The schit has not yet hit the fan and I really try and avoid gunfights but I do consider that my go to carbine for doing carbine things.

A5 buffers are unique to the A5. They are not rifle buffers.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast