View Poll Results: Would you put a vltor a5 buffer system on your SHTF/go to fighting rifle?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

219 84.56%
  • No

40 15.44%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: vltor a5 buffer system on your shtf/fighting rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiz View Post
    I totally don't get that.
    You know the shooting style where your support hand goes really far forward?

Well, if you don't have a lot of "far forward" on the gun, increasing the length of pull moves everything in front of the buttstock further forward. Seems like it would screw up your cheekweld and trigger hand if you made the length of pull too long.
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    So, would an A5 system be more beneficial to a factory 16" carbine gas 6920 with a broad range of ammo types than a carbine spring/ h, h2, or h3 setup?
    From my experience yes, but I do not shoot cheap steel cased/low power ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run the A5 system on my suppressed 9mm AR and suppressed 12.5" 5.56 AR. both run great.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I don't currently run the A5 system but it will be getting used in my next build...11.5 in SBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    So, would an A5 system be more beneficial to a factory 16" carbine gas 6920 with a broad range of ammo types than a carbine spring/ h, h2, or h3 setup?

One would expect a Colt 6920 to basically run as well as the ammo and mags being used to feed it would allow.

In other words if the ammo was reasonable and the mags gave the gun one round at a time every time the gun wanted a round then I would expect a 6920 in good condition to function at very near perfection.

For me the benefit of the A-5 is a slight reduction in split times. If you are not able to keep your splits around 0.2 second with hits at 7 yards then the slight advantage of the A-5 might be lost on you. I see a few hundredths of a second gain in splits at 7 yds.

It is hard to quantify any real reliability gain in a good quality carbine like a 6920. If you are running an overgassed carbine then the extra buffer weight and rifle spring will most likely help you out on the reliability front.

If you have the funds to upgrade your 6920 without having to force your children to eat beans for a month then why not, as it will offer a slight advantage. If you are on a budget and the choice is an A-5 or bullets then bullets are the better choice.

If you are starting from scratch then it would seem the A-5 is the smart choice. It ain’t magic but it does offer some advantages in my opinion.
    Last edited by John_Burns; 09-09-11 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Burns View Post
    It ain’t magic but it does offer some advantages in my opinion.
    Indeed it isn't magic. It simply runs better than the carbean buffer system. A smart user with the right buffer can get good results with the carbean buffer systerm..... but the rifle buffer system is better.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I am currently running a DD 16" chf barrel with carbine length gas port with a standard BCM spring and BCM H2 buffer and have had no cycling issues with a variety of ammo, even Tula/wolf has always functioned though you can definitely tell it's weaker. So what would an A5 setup do for me? Soften recoil? not much anyway. Just curious if anyone who had no issues with their currnt setup went and got the A5 anyway and what the effects of that change were

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You know the shooting style where your support hand goes really far forward?
    Now I gots it.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I voted yes. For one thing my SHTF Ammo is full powered M855 and I have a hell of a lot of it. I'm not extremely worried about compatibility with low powered crap ammo. I'm also not convinced that ammo so weak it can't cycle an A5 will be reliable anyway or that the A5 can't run lower powered ammo.
    As far as proprietary parts if your RE breaks you're in deep trouble and need to replace it anyway. I've never seen a buffer break, not saying it couldn't happen but it's not worth worrying about.
    My A5 has run well with every upper I've put on it: 18" Noveske stainless, various 16"' and 14.5 carbine gas. I've tried it on a buddies' filthy 6920 upper and it ran like a top. The reduced recoil and smoothness of cycling are a big benefit. However the main reason I like it is the reduced or eliminated carrier bounce and reduced rate of fire provided by the A5. The Vuurwapen Blog has a good youtube review that shows an A5 completely reducing bounce. Thatreason alone is enough for me to use it. Finally Vltor is a top notch company that I trust to provide a reliable, well made and well engineered product.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 09-10-11 at 03:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wouldn;t probably go out and buy one just to buy it - my guns have worked just fine with thier existing set ups, so so ahven;t the military M4's.

Now on a new build, I can't say it would be a bad thiing to have. Neat concept, though I'm not the MOST informed on it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast