Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trp Operator ?

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)

Trp Operator ?

hey guys
    Im a police officer and currently carry a trp operator with the bull barrel and a streamlight trl-1s

I havnt had a single problem with the weapon and it has been put through the ringer. but i was wondering what yall thought about the bull barrel. and if it is worth it to switch to a bushing system. i have on order a fixed rear sight for it. so that is taken care of. anything else yall recommend for a duty weapon.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like 1911's with bushings. While it's true that a well fit bull barrel can be extremely accurate, I like the idea of a bushing because after some wear and tear on the parts, I can easily just replace/refit a new bushing (which is relatively much cheaper than a barrel) to restore the accuracy.

As for recommendations on duty 1911's, there's a lot of them and it's become pretty conventional to point to Hilton Yam's guide. He says it better than most.

http://www.10-8consulting.com/articl...p?articleID=13

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    I agree with you that a bushing system is easier to field strip and maintain. but i will say that for actual duty shooting and operations, i really like the weight at the end of the muzzle my bull barrel and streamlight add. some may not notice the difference but ive compared a friends wilson to my trp in terms of follow up shots and granted it could be because ive shot many many rounds through my trp (5k in 3 months) but my shots were faster and felt easier with my trp. granted both guns could outshoot me and im not comparing the two at all. just saying that the heavier end of the muzzle helps me. I'm 6'7 260 pounds and any handgun looks small in my mitts haha but yall should see me shoot a glock or m&p get made fun of more than anything. the 1911 is tried and true and works for me in any situation whether its regular beat or tactical operations.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx10 View Post
    the 1911 is tried and true and works for me in any situation
    I would consider it good enough at this point.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To me, the biggest drawback of the bushingless coned barrel arrangements is the more tedious field stripping. However, the additional weight forward makes for a pistol that recoils very "flat" and recovers quickly. My TRP Operator is one of the older "full rail" ones and the extra long dust cover adds some additional weight up front too. Add a light and you really get a lot of weight up front.

I detested the "grit grips" that came on the thing and replaced them with a set of double-diamond wood stocks almost immediately.

Rosco

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    thats funny you say that. the grips were gone as soon as i bought the weapon. replaced with a set of slag grips from warriorgrips. they have been beating and abused by entering/exiting vehicles and repeated knocks and falls and have performed amazing. the owner of the company is doing some great things with 1911 grips

Feedback Score
    Have the ejector drilled and pinned, that is my one and only gripe with the TRP series, at the price point these sell for they should be pinned.

Other than that I love my TRP.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    The TRP is a good value for a 1911 when you are going to spend 800+ on a decent one anyways.

I always wanted them to make the railed version with the fixed night sights of the non-rail version. Would make a great gun.

FWIW my TRP's were more reliable than my pro with the same mags, ammo, and cleaning schedule....I don't own any of them anymore, though....

Feedback Score
    heres what my grit grips looked like right out of box. unfortunately the pistol was shipped with them actually on the gun and most of the grit that is missing from the grips was loose inside the case and inside the pistol. the brown area visible is the actual wood underneath.

regardless... back OT... i really like the way the BB shoots. it IS a little bit more of a pain to take down but as Mr. Rosco Benson mentioned it does flatten the recoil quite a bit. shoots buttery smooth.

I for one would not spend money to swap out the barrel unless you were replacing the barrel anyways for another reason (wear?) I do agree that a fixed sight is preferable. (Harrison Design?)
    Last edited by nolt; 09-19-11 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    other than maybe a fixed sight i would not change a thing on the trp operator. the bushingless setup only is a slight issue when field stripping. everyone who shoots mine is amazed at the low felt recoil and how quick it is back on target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast