Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 3x9 for AR, under 500.00

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looking for 3x9 for AR, under 500.00

So I've done the google thing, searched everywhere, but really am not finding good advice.

So we have a bambino on the way, so my $ options are limited.

I have a 20" Colt that I want a 3x9 Variable mil dot scope for. I mainly will be shooting 500 yds and under, with most of that being 200 - 300 yards, using 62/75/77 grains.

I have seen the leupold AR scopes, and they look really nice. Obviously I would like a Mk IV, but no dice now.

Any other additions, or scopes that would be better than the Leupold AR, in our opinion in the under 500.00 range?

Edit: I've also read about the SWFA Super Snipers, are those worth the extra 100.00?

Thank you for your help in advance.
    Last edited by Wilco; 09-22-11 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x on my SPR-ish rifle. For the price point, it serves its purpose well. It isn't as bright as higher quality scopes, but it's not some BSA piece of crap.

All I do with it is shoot paper and steel, and for that, it is excellent. If I was on a two way range, I'd probably think differently. If I get more serious about longer range shooting (500+ yards), I'll certainly upgrade the glass.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
    So I've done the google thing, searched everywhere, but really am not finding good advice.

I have a 20" Colt that I want a 3x9 Variable mil dot scope for. I mainly will be shooting 500 yds and under, with most of that being 200 - 300 yards, using 62/75/77 grains.

I have seen the leupold AR scopes, and they look really nice. Obviously I would like a Mk IV, but no dice now.

Any other additions, or scopes that would be better than the Leupold AR, in our opinion in the under 500.00 range?

Edit: I've also read about the SWFA Super Snipers, are those worth the extra 100.00?

I don't have experience with the 3 x 9 but I do have the 10x SWFA and find it to be an excellent scope. If you go to snipers hide there is a group buy that'll save you a little.

For the ranges you quoted, the 10x might work just fine too and can be had for $300?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I really like my Weaver Tactical 3-10x from Midway... You can usually get one for around $300 on sale. It's bulky and not exactly lightweight, but it works well on an SPR type AR and is, IMO, the best value in variable power mildot around $300.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=598484

Sent from my Sprint EVO via Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Take a look at this:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tacti...IT-P50225.aspx

I just picked up one of these kits and for the price it is the absolute best thing going. The savings with this kit are incredible. The scope itself is $599, but with this kit you get a Bobro mount (which is an awesome system), a sun shade, and Butler Creek flip covers for the same price.

I haven't had the SWFA SS 3-9 out to the range yet as it just came in today, but all initial impressions are positive. Expect a thorough write-up in the near future after I get a chance to actually use it. Here is a picture of it mounted on my SPR...minus safety and pistol grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilco View Post

Last edited by a0cake; 09-23-11 at 00:15.

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=191037

I just picked up one of theese and put it on my hunting rifle, the glass is amazing! It on sale till the 30th and its a great scope for the money. Its not tactical though, no mildot and does not have target turrets, and its a 1" scope but I dont think you will beat the glass for that kind of $$$

You can take your left over cash and get some ammo or some training or bolth
    Last edited by JR TACTICAL; 09-22-11 at 23:40.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR TACTICAL View Post
    Its not tactical though, no mildot and does not have target turrets, and its a 1" scope but I dont think you will beat the glass for that kind of $$$
    What optics are you comparing it to?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    All of these are great scopes for the price. One of the best bang for your bucks would be a Nikon. I like the tacticals but they are over your budget, the monarchs are great scopes too and durible. I have swarovski, nightforce, kahles, and leupolds and I prefer the nikons on my working rifles. Just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    +1 on the Weaver 3-10 - hard scope to beat in the $300 range. Mil/mil is great. I am a bit partial to Japanese glass, though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for all of the answers so far, I appreciate it and I am now looking into the suggestions.

I am not married to the Leup AR 3x9, but I am curious as to why there are not any votes of confidence for it at 399.00.

Just a so-so scope?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast