Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pig-tail gas tube?

Feedback Score

Pig-tail gas tube?

Am about to embark on a 10.5 inch SBR build and came across one at a gun show. So are they - -

Just another whiz-bang doodad that does nothing useful or,
    solves a problem that I didn't know I had?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Save your money.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Rather than offer a technical opinion, let me just say this: Robb has forgotten more about the AR-15 than 98% of our membership -- myself included -- will ever know. I think you have your answer. =]

AC

Feedback Score
    Curious to know why exactly they don't offer any sort of improvement. Not that I don't believe that they don't work, just curious to know the science behind it.

Is it a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sort of thing, or does it actually hinder performance in some way?

Feedback Score
    As far as I understand it the pigtail tubes would do nothing, a longer length gas system works via the fact that further from the chamber = less port pressure, a pigtail tube is just making the same port pressure travel a longer distance, instead of bleeding pressure off from a lower pressure spot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    As far as I understand it the pigtail tubes would do nothing, a longer length gas system works via the fact that further from the chamber = less port pressure, a pigtail tube is just making the same port pressure travel a longer distance, instead of bleeding pressure off from a lower pressure spot.
    Exactly. No change in port pressure. And probably zero or negligible improvment from the additional tube length.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The PRI Fatboy is a better execution of this concept. The problem with the Pigtail is it has problems with the coil expanding when hot and affecting function.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I had never seen a serious build using one, so I was pretty sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Indeed. Since volume = piR^2 x L, increasing the radius of the tube increases the volume by a factor of 4, much more effective than lengthening it.

The problem is too much gas. The pigtail tubes attack the symptoms, not the root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    The PRI Fatboy is a better execution of this concept. The problem with the Pigtail is it has problems with the coil expanding when hot and affecting function.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    Years ago, they were one of those "gotta have" things for your AR. Now, they are one of those "Holy crap, I can't believe I bought one of those" things. Pass on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast