Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .300 Blackout on deer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    I find it intresting that Remington can make cheap 300 Blackout but not 6.8!
    6.8 has more brass in the shell so it can never be as cheap. Also the 300 BLK is planned to sell on volume.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 09-20-11 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by majette View Post
    i do not reload. what will be the cost of 300BLK factory practice ammo? lack of practice ammo for my 6.8 leads to my not shooting it as much as i would like. also, can you overlay 6.8 in your versatility chart along with the listed ammo?
    $12.99 MSRP.

No, I can't add 6.8 to the chart. I did not make the chart.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    300 AAC BLACKOUT has as much energy at 300 yards as a 357 Magnum revolver does at the muzzle. So, if you would shoot a deer with a 357 from up close, then you can shoot one with 300 AAC BLACKOUT at 300 yards.
    That may be true, but energy has never killed anybody.

A more fair comparison may be the maximum performance range, where the projectile will expand properly, nominally 1900 fps for many rifle bullets.

What is the muzzle velocity and min expansion velocity for a popular 300blk projo like the 125 vmax?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    That is exactly true - and that is why the 300 AAC BLACKOUT 125 grain AccuTip ammo does not use the same bullet from the 30 RAR 125 grain AccuTip.

"Minimum Expansion Velocity" always struck me as a meaningless metric as there is no way to say what "minimum" means. I found that when working with bullet companies, I had to run the bullet a few hundred fps faster than their minimum to attain what I considered my minimum.

So rather than tell them to make it expand down to 1600 fps, I said it must penetrate 12-18 inches of 10% gel at 1950-2000 fps - which is at a short range for a 7.5 inch barrel, but about 100 yards for a 16 inch barrel. The result is controlled penetration even at lower velocities.

This should give great medium-range hunting results.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Proves that it'll kill deer, in addition to being a useful cartridge for other uses.

That being said, and with all due respect, it didn't sound like he set out to "prove" anything with this post. Seemed an anecdotal discussion on a discussion forum.
    A .22wmr will drop a doe at those distances, if shot in the head, which is why I asked for more information to further the discussion. I am really anxious to hear more about the .300BLK and it's efficiency on animals, both thin- and thick-skinned. I'm seriously considering one for hog hunting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The shots were to the vitals - lung and heart.

I started this thread because when the round first came out, I spoke with a few folk who doubted it would work on deer. I would assume that there are people who read these threads that would ask the same question. So I give example of 2 deer taken by the .300 BLK in a very ethical, humane way.

And yes, a .22 may be capable of the same, but that just isn't legal in most states. As for the range, that's a fairly average shot for around here.

Feedback Score
    I hunt in Arizona around areas that do not require much range, in fact an AR-15 style carbine has many advantages with it's weight and speed.

Dropping at 50-75 yards with a .30 cal? that's pretty nice. Not gonna shun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Out of a 16" barrel with 123 gr bullets the .300 BLK basically replicates the 7.62x39 but with popular American .308" bullets. So anything the 7.62x39 can do in the field, the .300 BLK can do with better 110-125 gr bullets. Won't have more range or energy but probably better accuracy and terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm looking at the chart and the range comparison is obvious, but I'm not sure exactly how versatility is defined. Maybe, if it's a complicated answer, you could post the information that went with the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    This chart shows that when you use longer-range weapons, you limit versatility.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I think this round fits the brush gun type description, and while its no LR elk smacker can be loaded to a variety of different purposes.

I once shot a 100LB doe at about 40 yards with a 30-06 ballistic tip, and the exit wound was huge. I don't think you need all that much bullet or velocity in the types of ranges this round was designed for. I certainly don't think exit wound blow outs are 100% needed to put a deer down. The main thing with humane kills is shot placement. I would certainly feel comfortable hunting with a 243 in inside 300 yards even with the biggest deer our country has to offer, and I would do 223 with our dog size deer down here.

Of course bullet selection is also important but being the caliber this round is you really can't imagine a more diverse selection.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast