Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .300 Blackout on deer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    I'm looking at the chart and the range comparison is obvious, but I'm not sure exactly how versatility is defined. Maybe, if it's a complicated answer, you could post the information that went with the chart.
    Agreed. While I get the gist of what the chart is saying, I think there's some handwaving going on over what "versatility" really means.

Looking at that chart, would you let yourself get shot with XM2010 as long as it was closer than 300 meters? Viewgraphs are great for conveying ideas quickly, but they suck at technical details.

If you limit yourself to a certain range, what's more "versatile"? I would suggest that it includes:
    - the ability to be suppressed (subsonic a bonus)
    - good terminal energy for a given amount of recoil
    - large selection of projo's to meet mission needs (e.g. controlled expansion, AP, varmint rounds, frangibles, and so on)
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    Would you let yourself get shot with 300 AAC BLACKOUT as long as it was over 300 meters?

You would not pick an XM2010 for a close range role because it is longer/heavier than needed and has lower capacity and slower firing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Yes, it is a custom bullet, so what we know about 308 bullets at that velocity does not apply.

Drop at 300 yards is 15 inches from a 200 yard zero.
    Thanks. With a 200 yd zero what is the raise at 100 yds? What is the terminal performance at 1,600 fps?

If all this performance is dependent on custom designed bullets (not normal .308") then it sounds like there won't be much selection and handloaders may be left with subpar components. Supposedly one of the advantages of the .300 BLK over the 7.62x39 is the broader selection and availability of .308" bullets over .311". But if we need special .308" to perform at lower velocities are we not right back to limited selection and availability?

It just seems that two contrary things are being claimed:
    1) Better than 7.62x39 because you can use widely available, large variety of .308" bullets

2) Performance is better than expected at low velocities because a special .308" bullet is used

I have no doubt the subsonic version is superior to other comparable cartridges. But the claims of the .300 BLK being effective to 300 yds while maintaining the other advantages does not seem to stack up.

I guess "effective range" is subjective and what one person considers effective for this discussion of deer hunting another person may say it is not so effective. I've never heard anyone claim the 5.56 or 7.62x39 (or .30-30 for that matter) is an effective deer cartridge at 300 yds. Perhaps the .300 BLK has broken that paradigm, but field results will be the proof. Like the Army claims the 5.56 is "effective" to 400 or 500 meters but most people consider it "effective" especially for hunting to 200 yds.

That's the problem with simplistic graphs with generalizations like "versatility" and "average infantry engagement range". No real definition but they imply something. The graph may be "accurate" for possible infantry use, however I don't think it is an appropriate yardstick for deer hunting (this thread).

Feedback Score
    It is exactly like when 6.8 came out - it could use 270 bullets, but people also developed bullets just for 6.8 SPC that are even better. The difference is that there are even more 30 cal bullets.

The high point is at 117 yards and it is +3.6 inches.

Feedback Score
    As noted, the .300 BLK is very versatile as it can do the same job as well or better than suppressed MP5's, 5.56 mm SBR's, and AK47's. External and terminal ballistics are equal to or better than the well proven 7.62x39mm. With barrier blind projectiles, .300 BLK is an ideal caliber for both Patrol and Tactical LE use, as it offers outstanding terminal performance and intermediate barrier capability in the critical 0-100m range and remains capable out to 300m or so. .300 BLK is not superior to 6.8mm in terminal performance or range; .300 BLK does have an advantage over 6.8mm in terms of cost and parts availability...

Feedback Score
    I have a 300BLK and a 6.8SPC and I will use them both this year for hunting deer and hogs the 300BLK is a great round and I am having a blast loading it with the large variety of .308 bullets available for it but of course some are more suitable for its velocity's than others. For a cheap plinking round its great I am loading some 147 pulled bullets cheap and accurate.

Why can't we all just get along

Ed

Feedback Score
    I have a 10" Noveske 300 BLK and I'm certainly going to purchase a 16-18" Noveske Recon/SPR. Both calibers have much more to offer than 5.56 IMO. Different tools for the toolbox, I don't see why the fighting.

Feedback Score
    I am still waiting for the 30 goblin or 30 gremlin round the USAMU is using. It makes major power factor, 125gr going 2600+fps and 150gr doing around 2200fps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
    I am still waiting for the 30 goblin or 30 gremlin round the USAMU is using. It makes major power factor, 125gr going 2600+fps and 150gr doing around 2200fps.
    It is a 30 Grendal. You could also do a 30 caliber 6.8 SPC.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=647

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Versatility is the number of jobs it can do, number of rolls it can fulfill, and the number of other weapons it can replace.

For example, it can replace the MP5-SD as a quiet suppressed platform, but unlike the MP5-SD, it can also shoot out to 300 meters and do the role that the Mk18 is supposed to do. And the Mk18 cannot be quiet suppressed - hence it is more versatile than either. It can also handle the role that is sometimes filled by a subsonic 308 bolt action rifle.
    To further clarify this statement, are you using the same ammo? Are you using the heavy 220 grain rounds to beat the MP5-SD and the lighter, faster rounds to achieve the 300 meter shots? Or 220s all around?

What would you consider to be the most versatile projectile for the 300BLK?

Spooky

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast