Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR: Hackathorn/Vickers Low Light Intensive Course II

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some other optics related stuff:

The Aimpoint micro was VERY well received. It seems to be as rugged as its bigger brothers and those using them at the course (Either provided by Mr. Blish or personally owned) seemed to like them a great deal.

Also look for a new version of the Comp M4 with the battery box moved down to the lower part of the sight.

Doctor Optics red dots mounted on ACOGs are difficult to run well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dport View Post
    John,
    Thanks for sharing the experience with the X200 switch. For some reason, that style of switch gave me pause.
    It's something you should play with a while to see if it fits you. I took it on faith that the rocker switch would work best for me, but it really didn't. I'm blessed with large hands but rather short fingers....my palm is actually longer than my social finger. As a result I find manipulating the rocker switches on handgun lights to be difficult.

Someone with different physiology might find it much easier than I do.

I'm not about to ditch my X200 and give up on the concept of weapon lights on handguns....far from it. I'm just going to find a way to run them that works best for my particular needs.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Wasn't at the class, but here's my take so far on tape switch/pressure pads on my pistol:

I run a Warrior with the X200 and DG-18 switch. I can not, for the life of me balance the use of both a correct firing grip and the DG switch.

If I maintain a firm grip to manage recoil on fast shots, I end up having white light discharges.

So, now I have the X300 on one Warrior and the X200 with DG switch is sitting idly by....

During the low light portion of the 10-8 course in South Hill (Dave, Simon and Tom), I used an X200 with standard rocker switch. I use my support thumb, out front a hair, to flash illuminate the target.

I have thought about getting the CT grips, but the Gunner grips are way too good from a grip standpoint to trade over.

If Strider could get CT to incorporate a laser in their grip panels. They would rule the world of tactical 1911 grips, IMO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    AMMO:

A lot of folks don't consider the importance of muzzle flash when selecting ammo for serious social purposes.
    True... I've been fragged many times on TOS by the "just use a flash suppressor" and the "A2 flash suppressor is fine" crowds...

Any ammo recommendations given that use "flash suppressants" in the powder, especially in a PISTOL round?

I don't know of any pistol ammo that is "low flash." Maybe CORBON?

As for 5.56mm, the XM193 is definetly NOT low flash, nor are many others. I know my IMI ammo is, as well as some military WCC ammo, but have not tested others (Guat, Malaysian, etc...) BH MK262 and TAP I think are low flash as well.

So any recommendations given?

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your best bet for low flash pistol "duty" ammo is the Winchester Ranger loads. They have the lowest flash I have seen of all duty rounds.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    True... I've been fragged many times on TOS by the "just use a flash suppressor" and the "A2 flash suppressor is fine" crowds...

Any ammo recommendations given that use "flash suppressants" in the powder, especially in a PISTOL round?

I don't know of any pistol ammo that is "low flash." Maybe CORBON?

As for 5.56mm, the XM193 is definetly NOT low flash, nor are many others. I know my IMI ammo is, as well as some military WCC ammo, but have not tested others (Guat, Malaysian, etc...) BH MK262 and TAP I think are low flash as well.

So any recommendations given?

Rmpl
    Actually, it was clearly demonstrated that the A2 flash suppressor is in fact, fine. It does a good job.

Great class and great to meet some more guys - more thoughts to come in a bit.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'm blessed with large hands but rather short fingers....my palm is actually longer than my social finger.
    Didn't NCPatrolAR suggest you getting a job working in the evidence room?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    Didn't NCPatrolAR suggest you getting a job working in the evidence room?

We both know a hole he could fill with those clubhands of his

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A lot of folks don't consider the importance of muzzle flash when selecting ammo for serious social purposes. That used to include me.
    No one ran a suppressor full time?? It's one of the reasons I have them...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    Actually, it was clearly demonstrated that the A2 flash suppressor is in fact, fine. It does a good job.
    Until SBR's come into play... Even the 14.5" is pushing the A2 past its engineering. Plenty of good FS's out there though (Vortex, Phantom, etc...)...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast