Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty-Round Magazine Followers

Feedback Score

Twenty-Round Magazine Followers

I thought I'd buy a few of these 20-round NHMTG magazines: http://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_2...magazine/nhmtg

They appear to have a black follower. I'm educating myself on followers and believe black is a bad color for them. Is that true when the follower itself has a cartridge shape molded into it?

Is there a difference between 20-round and 30-round followers?

If the black follower does need to be replaced, where can I get replacements?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    A 20 round magazine is fine with either a black (modern) or alloy (dated) follower. No need to change them, and I'm not sure there's even anything to change them to since CProducts went under.

The 20 and 30 round followers were originally very similar, with 30 round followers changing over the years. The old black 30 round followers are basically a 20 round follower with a leg on it to cap you at 30 rounds.

A bullet molded into the follower means nothing- not aware of any AR15 (or any rifle, really) follower that doesn't have a bullet figure on the top surface.

The straight tube design doesn't have the issues the inconsistent curve of the 30 rounders have.

Those are great magazines- I got a couple for bench shooting and they're awesome. Can't say I haven't briefly considered standardizing on 20 rounders, but I wasn't willing to take the hit on round count.
    Last edited by lamarbrog; 09-19-11 at 09:01. Reason: Addition

Feedback Score
    I have a Colt USGI 20 rnd mag with a black follower that functions fine though the shape of both the metal and plastic followers in all my 20 rnd mags is different from the shape of 30 rnd mag followers. I have magpul followers in all my USGI 30 rnd mags, but Ive never had any issue or heard of any issue with the 20 rnd mag followers so not sure but you may be able to get magpul followers and install.

Feedback Score
    Why worry about it. Go out and test them; if they work why would you automatically want to change the followers? If they are GI mags, I would keep an eye on the feed lips.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet80tv View Post
    I have a Colt USGI 20 rnd mag with a black follower that functions fine though the shape of both the metal and plastic followers in all my 20 rnd mags is different from the shape of 30 rnd mag followers. I have magpul followers in all my USGI 30 rnd mags, but Ive never had any issue or heard of any issue with the 20 rnd mag followers so not sure but you may be able to get magpul followers and install.
    No typical 30 round follower will work without modifying it. The leg to limit you to 30 rounds in a 30 round tube is going to decrease capacity in a 20 round mag which doesn't have a leg on its follower.

If I recall- I couldn't even get a MagPul follower to fit in a 20 rounder at all because of how the floor plate lock interferes.
    Last edited by lamarbrog; 09-19-11 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    If they are anti-tilt followers and function, I wouldn't concern myself with it.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    If they are anti-tilt followers and function, I wouldn't concern myself with it.
    For real, have any of you guys ever even seen a 20 round magazine?

I pride myself in having a vast magazine collection- As of now, I have somewhere around 15-20 different types.

20 round magazines do not come with an anti-tilt follower, they don't need an anti-tilt follower, and unless something has changed CProducts (out of business) was the only company making an "anti-tilt" follower and it was a gimmick.

In fact, the follower MUST tilt in a 20 round magazine to some extent since the tube is straight and the case has a taper.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    For real, have any of you guys ever even seen a 20 round magazine?

I pride myself in having a vast magazine collection- As of now, I have somewhere around 15-20 different types.

20 round magazines do not come with an anti-tilt follower, they don't need an anti-tilt follower, and unless something has changed CProducts (out of business) was the only company making an "anti-tilt" follower and it was a gimmick.

In fact, the follower MUST tilt in a 20 round magazine to some extent since the tube is straight and the case has a taper.
    I'm not really familiar with USGI 20 round mags. I have a number of 30s but no 20s.

Have you ever seen a 20rd PMag? They have a straight contour just like a USGI and have anti-tilt followers.

Anti-tilt followers are not a gimmick.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post

Anti-tilt followers are not a gimmick.
    Maybe not... but the USGI 20 round magazine without an anti tilt follower is the most reliable mag you can shoot.

People used to credit the reliablity to the old alloy follower... but it's really just the mag design.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    ... but the USGI 20 round magazine without an anti tilt follower is the most reliable mag you can shoot.
    I'll have to take your word on that. I've got zero experience with the USGI 20s.

Why do you think the anti-tilt followers would lessen the reliability of the 20s when they have, IMO, improved the reliability of the 30s?
    Scoby

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast