Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D-printed AR-15 lower

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
    I printed the upper and lower on one of my 3D Printers. No testing yet!

I did cut a lower so I can access the TG for detailed modifications.

What kind of 3D printer is it? I'm familiar with stereolithography, but I've done very little research on 3D printing. This could be very useful in one of my shops.

Feedback Score
    From Wikipedia:

"Three-dimensional printing makes it as cheap to create single items as it is to produce thousands and thus undermines economies of scale. It may have as profound an impact on the world as the coming of the factory did....Just as nobody could have predicted the impact of the steam engine in 1750, or the printing press in 1450, or the transistor in 1950. It is impossible to foresee the long-term impact of 3D printing. But the technology is coming, and is likely to disrupt every field it touches"

The possabilities here, especially as this technology progresses is making my head spin. And the future legalities regarding regulated products and counterfiet products is mind boggling to me. The future of this is almost to big to wrap your head around.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    How about hookers?
    I could go for a couple of 7 of 9's in the holodeck for a few hours!

THAT aside, I'm tagging this too for the range tests!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by northern1 View Post
    ...Ohhh the court battles to come
    Why? It's no more illegal to "print" a lower than it is to machine one for yourself
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Why? It's no more illegal to "print" a lower than it is to machine one for yourself
    Isn't it a controlled item regardless of how or who manufactures it, though?

Feedback Score
    The one I use at work is capable of printing casting molds that you can cast aluminum in!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Complication View Post
    Isn't it a controlled item regardless of how or who manufactures it, though?
    Yes. But it's not against the law to fabricate receivers without a license for your own personal use. The home fabricator cannot offer them for sale or give them away
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-20-11 at 16:16.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I had no idea the technology was quite this far along, and to be honest, I hadn't even considered that components this complex could even be rendered. I don't know how functional these uppers and lowers will prove to be as firearms, but it isn't difficult to see all kinds of potential as training aids, vise blocks and fitting jigs.

I can see the puzzled expressions on the faces of the airsoft community already.

Now, where are the G-36C plans?

AC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    How about hookers?
    Maybe more importantly...how does this ABS plastic react to oil-based lube?
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    This is going to change a lot of things. Still young but the possibilities are very cool.

You can even scan something with moving parts, print it, and you'll have moving parts. Like on a wrench the little wheel to adjust the wrench...it comes out of the printer in fully working condition as a separate piece from the rest of the wrench...

http://youtu.be/ZboxMsSz5Aw

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast