Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D-printed AR-15 lower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

3D-printed AR-15 lower

I just ran across this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11669

The short-version is that, with a 3D printer, you can manufacture your own lower at home, no background checks, no nothing.

The functionality issues are almost as interesting as the legality issues. It seemed to me to be a subject a few here would be interested in discussing.
    Last edited by Complication; 09-20-11 at 10:57. Reason: Wrong link

Feedback Score
    3D printing is still in the infant stage, but I see a great deal of potential there. I can Really see someone printing out a few Generation-1 PS90 internal components to replace their Generation-3's.

If it were up to me, I'd probably make a few changes in a lower made from ABS rather than aluminium such as reinforcing the pin holes or perhaps making the holes large enough to accept larger, metal bushings which would then hold the pins.

Feedback Score
    I printed the upper and lower on one of my 3D Printers. No testing yet!

I did cut a lower so I can access the TG for detailed modifications.

NRA Lifetime Member
    Firearms and Diesel Trucks....the left's worst nightmare!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Tagged:

This is interesting, more pics & info please.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My first question is, didn't you just manufacture two illegal firearms?

Feedback Score
    as far as legality goes, would these fall under the same rule as the 80% lowers?

ETA: This is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
    I printed the upper and lower on one of my 3D Printers. No testing yet!

I did cut a lower so I can access the TG for detailed modifications.

Last edited by truckie453; 09-20-11 at 13:59.
    -Vinny

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because worth they believing in.

Feedback Score
    This 3-D printing is new to me.

And frankly my mind is spinning right now. Ohhh the court battles to come

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    My first question is, didn't you just manufacture two illegal firearms?

No, no he didn't.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    We have a Dimension at work, however, its much quicker to just make one from aluminium on the mill. Go buy a cheap used mill on on craigslist and start cranking them out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    No, no he didn't.
    Stick is 100% correct.

There is NO indication that simply printing or machining your own AR-15 at home violates any laws at all.

Frankly, it is frightening how many people on this site are ignorant of the legality of home-building of assault rifles, pistols, etc.

A good comparison would be members of a "beer appreciation forum" who ignorantly believe that home-brewing of beer is illegal.

The fact is: most adult citizens who can lawfully own a typical gun can also "make" such a gun at home IF it is for their own personal use.

In the U.S.A., we do NOT register guns (although some states do have such infringing laws on their books). Unless state law requires it, a home built gun does NOT require any serial number on it at all - although it is recommended and I personally think it would be very foolish not to put some sort of made-up, fictitious number on such a gun.

Like the beer analogy above, the gun must be made WITH THE INTENT to use it yourself, so you could not (for example) start selling your home-made beer or a home made gun out of the trunk of your car for profit.

Also, you have to do the work YOURSELF. I can't ask the local brewery to take my beer kit, make beer for me & then I simply claim "look what I made!" (I did not make anything in such a case) - same goes for guns. A gunsmith CANNOT make the gun for you!! A special FFL holder who is licensed to "manufacture" guns could take on such a project - though in that case a serial number IS required, along with NICS check, taxes, etc. as you are simply purchasing a firearm that was lawfully manufactured.

At any rate, please understand that: under certain circumstances, a person can make guns at home in the U.S. (for now).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast