Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Training/Practice Ammo Recommendations Please

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    About every three weeks Mills' Fleet Farm has WPA 115 grain FMJ on sale for $7.99 per 50 and I believe you've got one in town or close (although you must have a couple of lame ones over there because it seems there's always a disclaimer in the flyers about certain items not being available in certain stores.)

Since the price jump at Wal-Mart on Winchester I've started using this and it's performed very well for several hundred rounds.
    Last edited by Scotter260; 10-04-11 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick610 View Post
    Does a magnet stick to it????
    Yes it does. It is not steel core, but a bi-metal steel/copper jacket over lead. I would assume a no-go in an indoor range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TX0303 View Post
    Yes it does. It is not steel core, but a bi-metal steel/copper jacket over lead. I would assume a no-go in an indoor range.
    It really depends on the range.

At the one I worked at we had no such "magnet rule", because the mild steel that's in most foreign ammo does not damage the equipment. We just didn't allow penetrators/armor piercers and had range staff that were knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

Feedback Score
    If I can get Fiocchi 9APB on sale I normally choose that over anything. It's a 124gr at 1250 or so, loaded to CIP spec, so its hot. But if not, Sellier and Bellot Police is my go to. I prefer to shoot 124gr over 115, as my self defense ammo is never that light, minus the 115gr Corbon at 1350fps. That's rare still. Sellier and Bellot also makes a 115gr fmj at 1280fps also. All the above ammo is fairly high recoil, so if you plan on shooting 200+ rounds in a sitting, do it with a G19 size or bigger weapon. But I really can't say enough about S&B ammo, its shoots so clean and is very consistent accuracy wise. I think its a good round at any price, the 124gr Police fmj or the normal 115gr.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    ‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
    — Mahatma Ghandi

Feedback Score
    winchester white box is some cheap reliable ammo, can be picked up at any wal mart

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shua713 View Post
    winchester white box is some cheap reliable ammo, can be picked up at any wal mart
    Wwb is cheap at Walmart, $23 at my closest store per 100, but I don't care for it. It's such a soft round that after I shoot it for awhile then switch to some hotter defense loadings, I find my recovery time between shots is way off. I believe practicing with an equivalent weight or at least recoil wise is very important in pistol shooting. Especially when you can get better for cheaper.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
    — Mahatma Ghandi

Feedback Score
    Originally Posted by saddlerocker
    I would have no problem using it, but that RWS has bi-metal jacket....
    Quote Originally Posted by mick610 View Post
    Does a magnet stick to it????
    ROed for a guy using RWS ammo during a low light stage. Saw sharp yellow sparks radiating in the muzzle flash and sparks again when he shot a steel target.

I'd say a magnet would stick to it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shua713 View Post
    When I spent some time working as RSO, I'd collect the unfired rounds off the floor when we'd clean up.

I'd say about 75% of the ammo that was screwed up in some way was Winchester. I'm talking about missing primers, bullets pressed in off center so they ruffled the casing, bizarre case deformities, etc. Didn't see too many failures to fire, but a few.

Maybe 75% of shooters were shooting Winchester... but based on my observations I doubt that. We saw mostly Tula from Walmart, Monarch from Academy, and Blazer Brass for those that didn't like steel. I never really saw any major issues from Blazer Brass, which surprises me for the price. Tula and Monarch had a sideways primer every once in a while, and a few more failures to fire than average, but still not bad. I don't recall ever seeing a Tula or Monarch with a severe deformation like was pretty routine with Winchester.

One thing that surprised me was the amount of Fiocchi that failed to fire. Not that many people shot Fiocchi, but there never seemed to be a shortage of DUDs laying on the floor. My personal experience with Fiocchi has always been good, which is why this surprises me.

S&B really stands out in my mind as never having seen a major problem from it. In all the time I examined these "range scrapings" I'd be surprised if the number of S&B rounds with anything wrong with them amounted to more than a handful. The very few I can remember were failures to fire.

My "stockpile" ammo is S&B as a result. I keep Speer 124grain Gold Dots in my "go to" magazines, but my reserve of "SHTF ammo" is S&B Police. Priced reasonably enough to stock a decent amount, and excellent performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TriviaMonster View Post
    Wwb is cheap at Walmart, $23 at my closest store per 100, but I don't care for it. It's such a soft round that after I shoot it for awhile then switch to some hotter defense loadings, I find my recovery time between shots is way off. I believe practicing with an equivalent weight or at least recoil wise is very important in pistol shooting. Especially when you can get better for cheaper.

This is what I think too, I am primarily looking for 124 grain practice ammo. I have been using the Federal Champion 115 grain stuff from Wally World, but want to get a better price on bulk and shoot the same weight bullet as my self-defense ammo.

Thanks for all of the replies, they have given me some great options.

If you have more info, keep it coming!!!

Last edited by DTHN2LGS; 10-05-11 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is excellent well priced ammo from a great supplier (it is 115gr though):

http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/...grain-tmj-ammo

If you are set on 124gr, I have shot no end of this without issue; QC is far better than the white box, for not much more $:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winche...l-spec-124gr-p

I am also a huge fan of Brown Bear/WPA....have shot well over 10,000 rounds of their 9mm without any problems other than the odd dud primer.
    Last edited by SA80Dan; 10-06-11 at 13:24.
    Dan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast