Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, I gave Kimber a shot..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Kimber Ultra for CCW that has close to 2,500 through it and runs perfectly. It struggled with certain hollow points for the first 300-400 but now eats anything.

Nice Wilson though, can't argue with that choice.

Feedback Score
    To solve reliability problems with a Kimber, try replacing the MIM extractor and firing pin stop with a machined extractor and tighter-fitting (possibly slightly oversize or fitted) firing pin stop. The MIM extractor doesn't seem to work as well as a machined part. A tight firing pin stop will prevent any rotation of the extractor, which could impede its function.

I have had a Generation I Kimber for years now, with several thousand rounds through it. Making these changes resulted in going from well over 99% reliability to 100% reliability.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMD View Post
    I've had a 1st gen CDP that has NEVER had a single issue and I am only on my second spring. I'm just not seeing all the issues others have. Maybe mine was "sloppy," but I doubt it as it was a custom shop.
    Kimber does not have a custom shop. Their guns are all made in the same way, with the same parts. The only thing their "custom shop" is, is an extra step in the manufacturing process where they stamp "custom shop" on the slide. It is a marketing ploy by Kimber and nothing more.

I have owned two Kimbers, both "pro" models (commander size for the most part) and neither of them worked right after many hundreds of rounds. I sold them both for a loss and will never own another unless it has been gone through by a well known smith. One of my partners at work has a Kimber Worrior and he had to send it back recently because of numerous feeding problems. While their guns may look good, my overall experience has not been that positive. For what they cost, there are FAR better choices in a 1911 than a Kimber. This is of course, just my personal opinion.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd love to own a Wilson, but the wife said SHE'D sell one of my kidneys if I bought one right now.

I've had a few Kimbers over the years. The best of them still rides on my right hip daily. I replaced the main spring with a Wolff years back and it made a vast improvement in reliability, so I went ahead and replaced all the springs, including the sear spring from Wilson. I haven't had much in the way of failures since... with the exception of this day...

It started to hick up a bit on day two of a Magpul class. That Pueblo stuff is like baby powder.

I really do want a Wilson though, nice pistol!
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Heard too many horror stories to drop the hammer on a kimber, but the older models I have shot were not bad.
    That being said, they all went back to the factory for somthing.

That speaks volumes to me.

Like the Wilson, though. Nice.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BudJr View Post
    Tolerances are too tight. I don't know why people (I don't mean YOU guys) claim the guns are crap when the problem is the things are made so damned tight they aren't worth a shit for several hundred rounds. That doesn't make it a shit gun, they're just stupidly tight.
    Uhm, no. Kimber 1911's suck.

C4

Feedback Score

Kimber 1911s

I've had a bunch of 1911s by different companies over the years including 4 Kimbers (series I). They were all great pistols, but the problems they've had with Series II have really turned me off. I love the only Kimber I've got left, a 3" SIS model, but would hesitate to buy any other new Kimbers. WB
    NRA Endowment Life member
    Proud veteran of the Naval Security Group

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    My Kimber runs fine. The first 400 rounds I had four FTE and dont even try hollow points in it anymore for the many FTF. I also have a Springfield...that I would choose first if I had to pick. It has been 100% with FMJ and JHP. My first 1911 was my Kimber (drank the Kool-Aid), hence my screen name.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had a VERY early made Kimber, no one, even the gunshop I bought it from at the time, had even heard of them yet.
    I shot that gun for 10 years, it was an almost total POS. Dont know why I kept it that long, cant remember, but the first time i got a decent offer to sell...out the door it went. Ive since shot 2-3 more and I just would not own another one. MOST over rated 1911 on the market, imo. Wilson is second.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why do you say Wilson is overrated? Every one I have shot was a great pistol, hands above most 1911's I have ever shot... and that's quite a few. What is your bad experience?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast